Author Topic: Am I mad for buying a GTI at the moment?!  (Read 1922 times)

Offline magic36

• Not said much yet
Re: Am I mad for buying a GTI at the moment?!
« Reply #10 on: 20 November 2021, 11:56 »
The GTI doesn’t need DCC and is pretty comprehensively equipped at that age so not lacking in spec as standard.

As for the mk8, well they’re a bit ugly and some are beset with the sort of technical gremlins you’d expect the whole IT team to be fired over if they happened in your workplace. Having said that, the IT in my work is dreadful so maybe I just have low standards, but my mk8 (touch wood) has been fairly ok so far.

Yeah, the only reason I wanted it was to possibly give the option of a softer ride for day to day use, at 31 I have the back of a 90 year old. It’s been fine so far, and the handling is just incredible.

I had driven a mk8 tsi r line but it just wasn’t the same beast as a gti and I’m still not convinced on the looks. Glad to hear yours is treating you well though!

Offline baka

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #11 on: 20 November 2021, 16:13 »
I was dead set on DCC too for similar reasons and ended up without it. Honestly though, the GTI passive set up has been perfect for a daily.

You can hammer it down some pretty gnarly B roads without it getting uncomfortable, and it doesn't 'harden up' in town at low speeds, like a lot of set ups can.

Offline Rob_benton

• Here all the time
« Reply #12 on: 20 November 2021, 17:00 »
Prices are mad at the moment.
I sold a Audi A1 today. 2016 49k on the clock for 10,395.
Luckily I went through the old paper work before customer collects on Monday.
There was a main dealer invoice from 2019 when the car was last sold with only 29k on the clock.
The price is 2019…….?

£9600 !!
2014 gti pp dsg

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 20 November 2021, 17:49 »
Pleased I invested in my 2019 mk7.5 pp when I did at the beginning of the year with 3500miles. Also wanted a DCC but difficult to find one and the mileage was a bonus. Tested the car on some poor roads before buying but found it OK. The roads around me are awful but the standard suspension is fine and I am not young - probably the oldest on the forum and not far off the age of your back!  Loving the car. A big investment made so now just enjoy.
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline magic36

• Not said much yet
« Reply #14 on: 20 November 2021, 18:37 »
Prices are mad at the moment.
I sold a Audi A1 today. 2016 49k on the clock for 10,395.
Luckily I went through the old paper work before customer collects on Monday.
There was a main dealer invoice from 2019 when the car was last sold with only 29k on the clock.
The price is 2019…….?

£9600 !!

I know it’s crazy how the market is, this is what made me worry.

However like your A1, I bought my caddy for around 7.5k almost three years ago…. I have just sold it for 10.5k! My Mrs bought her fiesta over 4 years ago and had it written off (other driver on the wrong side of the road) and got a few hundred more for it that what she paid.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #15 on: 21 November 2021, 16:51 »
I've got a 2019 Caravelle. £42k two years ago. Just had it serviced and the dealer offered me £42k for it. 2 years, 26,000 miles, services part of a plan included in the sale. All it's cost me is a pair of tyres.

I thought with the prices of vans being silly, now was a time to cash it in, so went to have a look at a Disco 5. It seems the book has been thrown out of the window with them too, so the van is staying put.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 21 November 2021, 18:03 »
I've got a 2019 Caravelle. £42k two years ago. Just had it serviced and the dealer offered me £42k for it. 2 years, 26,000 miles, services part of a plan included in the sale. All it's cost me is a pair of tyres.

I thought with the prices of vans being silly, now was a time to cash it in, so went to have a look at a Disco 5. It seems the book has been thrown out of the window with them too, so the van is staying put.

Your pocket will thank you for not buying a Range Rover  :wink:
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/