Author Topic: Am I mad for buying a GTI at the moment?!  (Read 1891 times)

Offline magic36

• Not said much yet
Am I mad for buying a GTI at the moment?!
« on: 19 November 2021, 12:32 »
Hi guys,

Since owning a mk2 gti many moons ago, loving it and then regrettably selling it for £450…. I have now returned to golf gti ownership.

I bought a 19 plate GTI PP with 12k on the clock for around 26k and to be fair so far I’m loving it (minus the slightly clunky gear change)

I previously owned a caddy van and decided since that had gone up in value that selling that and buying would offset the currently astronomical prices. But am I silly buying an almost 3 year old car for such a large amount? I browsed over what a new GTI would be and it says they start at 34-35k right now and I’m guessing and discount dealers may have given before would be near to nothing now, with the struggle to get new cars through the doors.

Any thoughts, positive or negative would be appreciated  :smiley:

Offline madstaff

• I live here
Re: Am I mad for buying a GTI at the moment?!
« Reply #1 on: 19 November 2021, 13:06 »
I know 2nd hand prices are at a premium right now, but i would forget all that and ask yourself if your GTi puts a smile on your face??

I know i made the right decision when i drive my Clubsport.

Smiles per miles is what its all about.  :smiley:
2017 Clubsport Edition 40 #706.

Urano grey, 3 Door, Manual, Recaros, Brescias, DCC, Nav Pro, Black roof & tints.

Offline JMS

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 19 November 2021, 13:26 »

Nobody can answer that for you pal, but if it makes you feel better my last car (before the Golf) was 6 years old when I bought it for £38k instead of putting the money into the mortgage!

How much joy do you get from the PP? That is the measure.
Previous Dubs now sold:
- Manual Mk7 CSG PP, stg1, RS3 bushes, 26mm RARB & a lot of carnauba.
- DSG mkV R32, black with even more carnauba
- Manual Corrado VR6, dragon green
- Manual Polo G40 - Tornado red, Jabbasport ported charger
- Mk2 Big Bumper 8v GTI, Calypso blue

Offline magic36

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 19 November 2021, 14:30 »
Thanks for the input @JMS and @madstaff  :smiley:

I suppose you’re both right, yes it does put a smile on my face and I have plenty of years left to pay back the mortgage  :grin: In reality the market is all relative so even if second hand prices fall they all fall together.

I would just hate to think that I could have bought new for money that was very close to what I paid. However I doubt dealers would do too much in the way of discounting a new gti in the current market so realistically you wouldn’t get anything much cheaper than the list price.

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 19 November 2021, 16:05 »
I wouldn't even say that's a bad price for a 2019 car with 12k miles on it, in the current market plenty of them up £2k above that.

Going off a few of the mk8 owners on this forum currently handing back their mk8 GTIs and Clubsports, I think you made the smart choice  :wink:
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 19 November 2021, 21:20 »
No you’re not mad.
The end.

(The Caddy went up in value so it follows suit the GTI would be likewise seemingly expensive, it’s all relative)
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline magic36

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 20 November 2021, 08:41 »
No you’re not mad.
The end.

(The Caddy went up in value so it follows suit the GTI would be likewise seemingly expensive, it’s all relative)

:grin: Short and sweet! Thank you, I’m just being stupid as I’ve never spent so much money before, apart from the mortgage.

Offline magic36

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 20 November 2021, 08:45 »
I wouldn't even say that's a bad price for a 2019 car with 12k miles on it, in the current market plenty of them up £2k above that.

Going off a few of the mk8 owners on this forum currently handing back their mk8 GTIs and Clubsports, I think you made the smart choice  :wink:

Thanks @willni, it took me a long while to find one, ideally I was looking for one with DCC but I just couldn’t see any with many optional extras on. Probably the price bracket I was looking in was too low.

How do you mean? Are people not impressed with the mk8?

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 20 November 2021, 10:02 »
The GTI doesn’t need DCC and is pretty comprehensively equipped at that age so not lacking in spec as standard.
It is a fair old chunk of money but it’s a very good car.

As for the mk8, well they’re a bit ugly and some are beset with the sort of technical gremlins you’d expect the whole IT team to be fired over if they happened in your workplace. Having said that, the IT in my work is dreadful so maybe I just have low standards, but my mk8 (touch wood) has been fairly ok so far.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 20 November 2021, 10:17 »
Go for it, my MY2019 GTI PP has 12700 on the clock, the keys would have to be prised from my cold, grey dead fingers before I sell it. It really is that good.
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.