Author Topic: Micro cracking on Tyres?  (Read 3597 times)

Offline Rudedog

• Here all the time
Re: Micro cracking on Tyres?
« Reply #10 on: 16 November 2021, 21:37 »
Have to say that I'm surprised that you didn't get any kind of advisory, I guess as it didn't affect the sidewall's it was ok, they seem to be hot on that sort of thing around me, easy money if the garage also does tyres and could frighten most casual drivers into buying new ones.

2019 Golf GTi PP DSG, Isaac Blue.

Offline Al1040

• Here all the time
« Reply #11 on: 17 November 2021, 19:08 »
I have some cracking on the front tires of the other half's car, slight deeper than those on 3 year old Michelin's, was reliably informed that will only be a fail if the carcass can be seen beneath the crack!
Was a little surprised, but passed the MoT with no advisories.
67 Plate Mk 7.5 GTD DSG

Offline JMS

• Not said much yet
« Reply #12 on: 29 November 2021, 21:00 »

Any update from Pirelli on this?

My inner engineer needs to know….
Previous Dubs now sold:
- Manual Mk7 CSG PP, stg1, RS3 bushes, 26mm RARB & a lot of carnauba.
- DSG mkV R32, black with even more carnauba
- Manual Corrado VR6, dragon green
- Manual Polo G40 - Tornado red, Jabbasport ported charger
- Mk2 Big Bumper 8v GTI, Calypso blue

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 30 November 2021, 11:35 »
Pirelli, have offered to inspect them if I can get the tyres down to them. Obviously without seeing them, they are unwilling (understandable) to commit to anything on the cause of the cracking. still deciding what to do.

They did say however, "Our technician mentioned if you did want to keep running the tyres, you can do as the MOT will only fail if the metal cords are showing."
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline baka

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #14 on: 30 November 2021, 15:07 »
What's wear life like on PS4's - I don't want a tyre I'm going to have to replace every year because they have worn out ?

Depends how you drive, I get 8-10k out of a fresh pair on the front. Obviously less if you are swapping front to back when you get new tyres.

Offline watchdog

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #15 on: 30 November 2021, 19:22 »
Pirelli, have offered to inspect them if I can get the tyres down to them. Obviously without seeing them, they are unwilling (understandable) to commit to anything on the cause of the cracking. still deciding what to do.

They did say however, "Our technician mentioned if you did want to keep running the tyres, you can do as the MOT will only fail if the metal cords are showing."

Worth a punt to take the car down for inspection Andrew if its only in Staffordshire, you might hopefully get a good deal/replacement tyres from them.

Online willni

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 30 November 2021, 19:37 »
What's wear life like on PS4's - I don't want a tyre I'm going to have to replace every year because they have worn out ?

Depends how you drive, I get 8-10k out of a fresh pair on the front. Obviously less if you are swapping front to back when you get new tyres.

I'm surprised to hear 8-10k out of the ps4's, I'm on around 12-14k miles on my PS4S's at the minute and they're down to around 3mm now on the front two the rears must be around 5-6mm
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline Splashalot

• Here all the time
« Reply #17 on: 30 November 2021, 23:07 »

I'm surprised to hear 8-10k out of the ps4's, I'm on around 12-14k miles on my PS4S's at the minute and they're down to around 3mm now on the front two the rears must be around 5-6mm

I had 34,000kms with ~1.5mm tread left on my PS4 when I traded the car.  Tyres were rotated yearly, so uniformly worn.
1972 Turquoise Superbug S; 1978 Miami Blue Golf GLS; 2007 Mk5 Tornado Red Golf GTI; 2017 Golf 7.5 Trendline Tungsten Silver 1.4ltr 110TSi with DAP; 2018 Tornado Red GTI with DAP.  All MT.  Current: 2021 Mini Cooper SE, British racing green.

Offline baka

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #18 on: 01 December 2021, 03:09 »

You got me wondering so I had to check, lol.

July 2020 to August 2021, 10k, down to the wear bars.

I'd usually change well before 1.6mm but with everything going on, I missed it. The tyre shop picked it up when it was in for an alignment.

It's not a GTI or a PS4 thing, I used to get through a set of rear tyres in 8-10k with my previous cars.

Online willni

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 01 December 2021, 14:25 »

You got me wondering so I had to check, lol.

July 2020 to August 2021, 10k, down to the wear bars.

I'd usually change well before 1.6mm but with everything going on, I missed it. The tyre shop picked it up when it was in for an alignment.

It's not a GTI or a PS4 thing, I used to get through a set of rear tyres in 8-10k with my previous cars.

it's a lead foot thing  :grin:
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/