Author Topic: To EV or not to EV, that is the question....  (Read 13396 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: To EV or not to EV, that is the question....
« Reply #30 on: 11 February 2022, 11:50 »
Thats a great writeup.

Thanks!

I'm still planning on a Mini-E sometime in the next year or so and you confirm its what I thought it might be.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #31 on: 12 February 2022, 11:35 »
I’m really pleased to see you’ve further bonded with the MINI so well Splashalot.
You’ve written kind of what I expected as I’ve been following a bustling little MINI EV group since the cars were launched and there is almost nothing but glowing positivity about the cars. In fact the group is very much like here, friendly and open minded as opposed to some of the serious and argumentative sites I’ve seen for other cars.
If I hadn’t been totally sold on the MINI EV from the off I certainly would be after reading your thoughts on it.

I’d never taken the slightest bit of notice of anything wearing a Lexus badge previously, as to me they are either massive luxury barges or lumpen SUV’s which go against anything I’d want in a car, but that IS replacement really does look as sensational as you said. That is the sort of thing I’d have expected an EV to look like when presented with an opportunity to design something ground up that has no ICE rather than some of the bland European designs.

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Splashalot

• Here all the time
« Reply #32 on: 13 February 2022, 02:49 »
Do you have a link to that Mini EV group, Exonian?

I've found one (albeit very) minor niggle: The rear view mirror is positioned low on the windscreen and interferes with forward vision on left-hand bends and corners.  That's it, nothing else!

On the issue of range, I've not calculated total range available, as it's so far been a non-issue for me.  But I thought it might be useful to quantify for others.  So I jumped on gmap pedometer and measured my usual daily trip: 23kms.  This has consistently used 10% of the Mini's battery, irrespective of starting point (ie. 100% charged or less).  So extrapolating that, I'd expect total range in my usual circumstances to be ~230kms.  Which is spot-on the WLTP estimate of 232kms.  Bear in mind that is in Summer useage with little heater or aircon use.

I think most online testers complaining of the range go by the Mini's guess-o-meter in the main instrument display, which is notoriously inaccurate and even more pessimistic than me.  Mine usually shows 160-170kms available at 100% charge. 

1972 Turquoise Superbug S; 1978 Miami Blue Golf GLS; 2007 Mk5 Tornado Red Golf GTI; 2017 Golf 7.5 Trendline Tungsten Silver 1.4ltr 110TSi with DAP; 2018 Tornado Red GTI with DAP.  All MT.  Current: 2021 Mini Cooper SE, British racing green.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #33 on: 13 February 2022, 08:39 »
Here is the link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/MiniElectricUK/?ref=share
hopefully that works.

Unfortunately due to the shape of the MINI the mirror is quite low.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Splashalot

• Here all the time
« Reply #34 on: 13 February 2022, 23:43 »
Thanks for the link, Exonian.  Unfortunately they knocked-back my application to join the group saying it's UK only!   :cry: :grin:

1972 Turquoise Superbug S; 1978 Miami Blue Golf GLS; 2007 Mk5 Tornado Red Golf GTI; 2017 Golf 7.5 Trendline Tungsten Silver 1.4ltr 110TSi with DAP; 2018 Tornado Red GTI with DAP.  All MT.  Current: 2021 Mini Cooper SE, British racing green.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #35 on: 15 February 2022, 05:41 »
Did I mention they were friendly?
Maybe not after all!   :embarrassed:
Their loss.

This vid is quite interesting https://youtu.be/bKIzfJar41I not just because it’s (hopefully) an almost affordable electric Porsche, but the way the battery will be mounted. It demonstrates why the MINI SE handles so well despite the battery. Unlike most BEV’s where the battery is mounted in a rectangular block under the floor it’s similar to the MINI in the fact much of it is behind the driver between the rear wheels keeping the roof low and the battery mass towards the centre of the car thus improving handling. 

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #36 on: 16 February 2022, 15:10 »
@Splashalot; I enjoy reading your thoughts on the Mini-E and I’m seriously considering one for my next car. As I’m not due to change my present car for another 2.5 - 3 years, it might be the next generation Mini that I’ll be looking at.

Since the start of the pandemic, my annual mileage has dropped to around 5k and typically my longest journey is a 60-70 mile round trip, so I don’t see the Mini’s relatively low range as a significant issue. With advances in battery technology, I’d anticipate the next generation car to have a longer range - I just hope that Mini don’t mess with the car’s design too much; the retro design is one of the Mini’s charms for me - I grew up in the era of the original Mini :smiley:.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #37 on: 26 April 2022, 19:34 »
Good fun little vid and topical for the forum:

https://youtu.be/nV3CeD3324U
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Splashalot

• Here all the time
« Reply #38 on: 27 April 2022, 02:52 »
That perfectly illustrates my thoughts - I still cannot align the Mini's 135kw/270nm and 1465kgs with the performance on offer.  My GTI had 169kw/380nm and from memory was slightly lighter.  Yet the Mini feels more pokey (and fun) around town.  Logically, it must be the instant and seamless torque from zero RPM.

I must admit I do like the idea of a Kia EV6 to eventually replace our Mazda 3 Astina for family and longer distance duties. (Edit: Or an ID3 if: a. VW ever get the software/UI sorted; and b. VW Aus ever get around to releasing it.)  Once you've had a taste of the performance and low (in our case, near zero) running costs it is addictive. 
« Last Edit: 27 April 2022, 04:17 by Splashalot »

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #39 on: 27 April 2022, 19:53 »
Apologies, another video:
https://youtu.be/zFTVuNZl1gk

The reviewer nails it for me as to how most EV’s fail as hot hatches.
Too high up, too much focus on range, less development spent on handling, brakes and FUN.
SUV EV’s are obviously the biggest demand and easiest to design. Wheels, battery, pop a jelly mould body on top.
Obviously the only fun we have the right to demand are funky graphic displays and blistering races between traffic lights on straight roads.

This is why the little MINI still stands almost alone thanks to its ICE underpinnings.  :smiley:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner