Author Topic: Hello!  (Read 606 times)

Offline LSBristol

• Not said much yet
Hello!
« on: 31 October 2021, 18:49 »
Hi all, quick introduction.

I've been part of the GTI club for almost a year now, and the VW club for much longer. I learned to drive in the unique Polo Dune 1.4 (lifted faux-4x4 polo from the early noughties).

The first proper car I bought was a mk7 golf. I spent a long time looking for the right spec in budget, ending up with a 1.4tsi SE with 122ps, and the key options (to me at the time!) of electric folding mirrors and front and rear parking sensors. It was a fantastic car, with a great engine. Coming from the 75bhp polo the 122hp turbocharged golf was a whole new level. Combine that with being able to get almost 60mpg on a sensible long run, and 17 inch wheels on fat donut tyres meant this was the ultimate comfortable daily.

I was very happy with this, and it made a lot of financial sense. In November 2020, my brother was looking for a new car and settled on a similar age mk7 golf which he was going to buy from the inchcape dealer in Exeter. I couldn't possibly let him go ahead with this without doing some test drives, having wanted a gti since before I could drive. I spied an opportunity to sell on my current golf and finally scratch the itch.

I started looking at slightly newer gtis but still mk7. My budget was an end of life mk7 pp, or at a stretch a mk7.5 230. I did several test drives, both mk7 and mk7.5, as well as dsg and manual. I settled on (and my budget crept up to) a 7.5 230ps in indium grey and manual. I decided that going for the facelift would be a bigger upgrade over the current mk7, and that for what I use the car for (round town and commuting), the updated interior, AID and lower miles of the 7.5 was preferential to the bigger brakes and LSD on the mk7 pp.

So the deal was done in Dec 2020:

It's a standard 67 plate non-pp with (as far as I know) no options ticked. This is absolutely fine for me as the base car is pretty fully loaded. Would have liked a pan roof but not a deal breaker.

I've kept it standard for the past 10 months, just enjoying the car in its excellent standard form. However after a long time lurking on this forum and doing a lot of reading, last week I pulled the trigger on a TCR muffler which I'm hoping will be here as soon as possible to give the car the sound it deserves. I'm also considering some Bola Flc in silver for next summer. Don't want to go mad on the car, but some subtle OEM+ stuff is inevitable!

mk7.5 non-PP, Indium Grey, manual

TCR backbox
Bola B16 19" in crystal sylver
DTUK pedalbox+

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: Hello!
« Reply #1 on: 31 October 2021, 19:11 »
Hi and welcome to the forum :smiley:

Great looking car and good choice!
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 01 November 2021, 18:45 »
Welcome!
Lovely looking GTI  :cool:
And well done saving your brother from Inchcape Exeter’s sales staff, aside from one or two notable exceptions they’re awful.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline LSBristol

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 01 November 2021, 20:23 »
Don't get me started. Bought the GTI from there. Upon turning up for the test drive I had to wait about 20 mins after the booked appointment for the bloke to wander out and ask what I wanted to drive, despite having told him the registrations in advance. 15 mins of hunting later, and it turned out one car was no longer for sale as it had a roof leak, and he just about managed to find the other after a check "round the back".

Upon returning from the test drive I then had to hunt around for the bloke to give him the keys back. Honestly I was doing my best to buy the car but he didn't seem fussed.

After some thinking I decided to go for it and put a reserve on it that evening. To their credit, somebody from VW rang me at 10pm from home the same night to get through the finance so I could pick it up the next day so fair play to him.

Almost makes me feel bad for cancelling the finance within the 14 day cool off and running away with my two free services!
mk7.5 non-PP, Indium Grey, manual

TCR backbox
Bola B16 19" in crystal sylver
DTUK pedalbox+

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 01 November 2021, 22:24 »
Welcome.
Amazing how similar indium grey and Isaac blue look in photos.
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.