Author Topic: 1st Mk6  (Read 1504 times)

Offline BUTSY GTI

• Just got here
1st Mk6
« on: 30 October 2021, 21:08 »
Been a while since I've been on but purchased my 1st Mk6 recently so scanning here on the forum for useful info.
2009 gti with 83k on the clock and FSH. Good tight driving car so far, plenty of poke so far so good. See a few posts else where regarding cam chain tensioner, when is good to get it checked mileage wise?

« Last Edit: 18 November 2021, 17:18 by BUTSY GTI »

Offline joe6

• I live here
Re: 1st Mk6
« Reply #1 on: 30 October 2021, 21:51 »
The car looks in good condition. Hope you enjoy it. My 2010 has about the same mileage. If you have a full history of paperwork and invoices you should be able to check if the tensioner has already been changed. It is a sale point so the invoice will have been kept. The tensioner can only be checked visually through a small plug in the timing chain cover and is almost impossible to reach and needs a mirror to see the tensioner.  You have the first version of tensioner - there were three versions eventually before VW got the problem sorted. There is not any guidance about timing for checking and changing the tensioner and I think the time it lasts depends on how the car has been treated. The tensioner thread on this forum shows there is no mileage when it can fail. The only real symptom is a rattle at start-up and not always obvious as the injectors are quite noisy. If you need to change the tensioner it is worth looking to change chains, guides etc.

The handbook says to check the chains at 120k miles. For peace of mind I would get the timing checked fairly quickly. If you have VCDS or know someone with it you can check the timing or get a vw independent garage to do it but check costs first. This will give you some idea of any chain stretch and possibly tensioner condition..
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline BUTSY GTI

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 30 October 2021, 22:11 »
Fully stamped book with the garages it's been to but no paper work so hard to say, has a 6 month warranty so will keep an ear and eye for anything unusual. And get it looked at in the new year. Yeah very clean car and can tell it's been well looked after by the previous owner.

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
« Reply #3 on: 31 October 2021, 06:07 »
Early chains are known to stretch.
For peace of mind with 83k on I would try find someone local with vcds/vagcom to check that.
Early tensioner can fail at any milage as it was weak.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline BUTSY GTI

• Just got here
« Reply #4 on: 31 October 2021, 10:39 »
Early chains are known to stretch.
For peace of mind with 83k on I would try find someone local with vcds/vagcom to check that.
Early tensioner can fail at any milage as it was weak.

Theres a vw guy not far from me with that setup, I'll drop it up in the coming weeks and get it checked out for peace of mind

Offline roblyt

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 31 October 2021, 16:35 »
the tensioner on my 09 gti failed at 50 odd k miles resulting in knackered engine so i would get it checked asap to be honest
when i had my engine rebuilt i had the latest version of the tensioner fitted so might be worth getting it changed if it hasnt been already for piece of mind

Offline Boltz

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 31 October 2021, 17:28 »
Am I correct in saying that the problematic timing chain tensioners were stopped in May 2010 and a revised tensioner fitted on cars produced from this date.
Current 2010 5dr Manual GTI Carbon Steel Grey
Previous Golfs 2012 5dr Manual Edition 35 Black, 2007 5dr Manual Edition 30 Tornado Red
2001 3dr V6 4motion Reflex Silver
2004 5dr GTI Oceanic Green

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 31 October 2021, 17:44 »
Am I correct in saying that the problematic timing chain tensioners were stopped in May 2010 and a revised tensioner fitted on cars produced from this date.

There were three revisions; dates of the revisions are listed at the foot of reply #4 in the ‘sticky’ that’s pinned at the top of the forum board - link to the ‘sticky’ below;

https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=262793.0
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl