Author Topic: Eco mode  (Read 1780 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Eco mode
« on: 26 September 2021, 09:48 »
I've found a use for eco mode...

Has been stretching my meager fuel tank level for the last couple of days.

Not much fun but needs must... Bugger all petrol round here but did manage to get some early this morning.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Re: Eco mode
« Reply #1 on: 26 September 2021, 10:29 »
Fred, there would have been plenty of fuel for everyone if the media hadn’t decided to turn a non-newsworthy event (a handful of fuel stations not having fuel deliveries) into a nationwide issue. Let the usual panic buying begin - and it did! :angry:

I’ve not bothered trying to buy any - I have a 1/2 tankful and won’t need to refill until the end of this coming  week. I dare say a high proportion of the panic buyers will be those people who won’t be needing to drive anywhere in the next few days, and already have 3/4 of a tankful but have squeezed in another £5-£10 worth just for good measure. They’re probably the same people who stripped the supermarket shelves of ‘essentials’ during the first Covid lockdown last year without considering the needs of others.

Hopefully the people who’ve genuinely needed fuel - e.g. if they have to use their car for work like you do - have been able to get enough to tide them over.

Rant over……. :sad:

Oh, I’m glad you’ve found a good use for Eco mode. I’ve not used it in my car in the 12 months since I bought it :smiley:.
« Last Edit: 26 September 2021, 10:34 by SRGTD »
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 26 September 2021, 11:03 »
Yeah utterly ridiculous how many people 'needed' fuel yesterday compared to the Saturday before.

Government and the industry have all said there is no shortage at refineries.

I've half a tankful too, so won't be filling up for at least another week. If I can't get any come the time, I'll just work from home... simples🙂
7.5 GTD

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 26 September 2021, 11:14 »
I'm down to around 40 mile range and was planning a day out that is a 120 mile round trip.... Will have to stay local now unless there has been a miracle overnight :rolleyes:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 26 September 2021, 11:31 »
I don’t believe in miracles. :huh:
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Colh

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 26 September 2021, 11:38 »
Was down to my last 40 miles so joined the queue this morning.  Ran out as I got to the pump, but still had super-unleaded - so a rare treat for the car. 
Current: 2021 MK8 GTI DSG Atlantic Blue
Gone: 2018 MK7.5 GTI Deep Pearl Black
Gone: 2015 MK7 Match Night Blue
Gone: 2010 MK6 GTD Deep Pearl Black
Gone: 2008 MK5 Match Blue

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 26 September 2021, 11:43 »
I decided this week to let karma do its thing.
As a so called “essential key worker”  :rolleyes: last year, married to an actual essential key worker who basically had the p!ss taken out of us throughout. This time the idiocy of the British public can score its own own goal.
I flatly refused to queue for any petrol and instead drove my Clubsport as it should be driven now that most of the tourists have buggered off. Damn it’s good.
If a bunch of idiots who mostly probably don’t actually *need* the fuel they’re spending hours of their life queuing for (wasting god knows how much with stationary engines running) due to panicking over a situation that didn’t exist, but being party to causing a potential catastrophe by selfish stupidity…

Well, once my tank was empty there is no way I can get to work, and owing to shift work no public transport either.
If I don’t go to work then thirty odd lorries carrying “essential goods” aren’t going to run! That might not sound a lot but it’s the entire deliveries for an area covering hundreds of square miles  :grin:

Unfortunately whilst delivering actual essentials yesterday to my elderly inlaws I passed Tesco and there was absolutely no queue!! Even more strange considering the three nearby Sainsburys stores had closed their forecourts due to running out as had most of the smaller garages.
So, £67 later I’m fully Momentum’d up and ready to serve my adoring public. You’re welcome  :laugh:  :kiss:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 26 September 2021, 11:59 »
Bit busy right now filling this in https://www.gov.uk/honours/honours-lists
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 26 September 2021, 12:04 »
 :grin:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 26 September 2021, 12:04 »
I was so shocked when I saw the queue of bloody idiots at the shell garage that  I nearly dropped my jerry can
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.