Author Topic: Third Brake Light Replacment.  (Read 1596 times)

Offline Eighteen88

• Not said much yet
Third Brake Light Replacment.
« on: 27 July 2021, 18:05 »
Warning light came on today that my highline brake light wasn’t working upon inspection I noticed about 6 of the bulbs on the cluster weren’t working, so looking for a replacement can anyone recommend somewhere I can get one before I contact my local VW for a price for the unit. Also the car has twice now started flashing th hazard light for no reason at all when locked would this be something to do with the brake light not working correctly?

Any help/advice would be appreciated.
Milltek Non Resonated Cat-Back exhaust “edition 35”, Forge PCV Delete, APR Stage 1 Remap & APR DSG Remap, Volkswagen racing intake, Volkswagen racingline sport springs, Audi R8 Coil Pack, GFB DV+

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
Re: Third Brake Light Replacment.
« Reply #1 on: 27 July 2021, 20:32 »
Brake light, I don't know if there is a work around now you will have to search YouTube but it use to be a pain to remove as it involved removing the spoiler. Someone may have found a way round it now I don't know.

The hazard lights flash. Are you sure your alarm siren actually works? They are known to fail. I suspect your  alarm is going off without the siren working. So you may have two issues. One the siren isn't working and two your alarm is false alarming.

Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 27 July 2021, 21:44 »
There is a work round to remove it. See the video in this link
https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=279660.msg2556661#msg2556661

Replacements are advertised on ebay for about £20. Not sure of the condition though. Hazard lights are not likely to be linked to the faulty light. Could be the alarm as Snoopy says. In hot weather if the air vents are open circulating air in the car can occasionally set off the internal alarm sensor - or an insect?
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline Eighteen88

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 27 July 2021, 22:18 »
I searched YouTube before posting on here for removal of the light, and it seems pretty easy just a couple of clips to pop open then pop the light out, just a plug N play thing.

Mate works at VW and he thinks be about £60 for a new unit from them.

As for the alarm issue it hasn’t happened again that I’m aware of bearing in mind the cars locked away in my garage (been and checked it) but I’ll keep monitoring it.
Milltek Non Resonated Cat-Back exhaust “edition 35”, Forge PCV Delete, APR Stage 1 Remap & APR DSG Remap, Volkswagen racing intake, Volkswagen racingline sport springs, Audi R8 Coil Pack, GFB DV+

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
« Reply #4 on: 28 July 2021, 08:14 »
Still maybe worth checking siren working

Sit still in the rear of the car.
Arm the alarm
Sit still for 60 seconds.
Start waving arms about.
Does the alarm siren go off?
Or
Open window.
Arm alarm
Wait 60 seconds
Stick Arm in window
Does siren sound.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 

Offline Eighteen88

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 28 July 2021, 09:04 »

Arm the alarm
Start waving arms about.
Or
Open window.
Arm alarm
Wait 60 seconds
Stick Arm in window
Does siren sound.

Noted mate, thanks will try this later on this afternoon.

Offline Eighteen88

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 28 July 2021, 13:01 »

Arm the alarm
Start waving arms about.
Or
Open window.
Arm alarm
Wait 60 seconds
Stick Arm in window
Does siren sound.

Tried both of these mate and the indicators both flash however no alarm sound at all, the horn does work so does this rule out a problem with a fuse being blown??

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
« Reply #7 on: 28 July 2021, 15:42 »
The alarm siren is separate to the horn. It's in a metal cage in the drivers wheel arch behind the wheel arch liner.
I'm sure there's some guides on YouTube on how to replace it.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 

Offline Borbus

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 28 July 2021, 16:33 »
My alarm siren failed earlier this year and resulted in the alarm randomly going. Oddly, it did actually make a noise, so not sure exactly what was failing. I first noticed it when returning to the car and seeing the hazards going off. Then one day it started going off at home and eventually I couldn't lock the car at all. I removed the alarm siren and didn't replace it as it would have cost £200 or something stupid and alarms are pointless. The car still has an alarm, it just won't make a noise (can be tested and works like Snoopy said).

The metal cage is riveted in, annoyingly. So needs to be drilled out and then I suppose if you want to replace it you can rivet or bolt it back, but not sure about that.
2010 Mk6 GTI

Offline Eighteen88

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 28 July 2021, 17:35 »
Thanks for the replies guys and after having watched the clips on YouTube it’s probably needing to go into the garage to get repaired, been quoted £52 from VW for the brake light will get a price from them tommorow for the siren.

On a side note this has me thinking would I be just as well getting a Ghost Immobisler fitted rather than just getting the alarm siren replaced??