Author Topic: Clubsport Testdrive  (Read 3882 times)

Offline king monkey

• I live here
Clubsport Testdrive
« on: 07 May 2021, 18:29 »
So finally got the chance to drive the Clubsport today. You really couldn’t make up the dealer experience. When I got there I was told that the car had been sold. Fair enough, it happens but they did let me drive a brand new silver Clubsport instead. Had to wait while they put plates on it and was then told it had no petrol so they’d get it fuelled. The member of staff went out in it and then I was told that they’d ran out of fuel on a dual carriageway. Wow. After being there an hour they managed to get the car back but I only then had time for a 10 minute drive. The staff were great btw.

Now to the car:

Reflex silver looked stunning and I even thought the standard 18s looked ok. Especially on the move as the car was pulled around to the front.

The car didn’t have dcc but the ride was impressive. I thought it was much better than my R on passive dampers.

The grip was also impressive. No wheel spin at all but the road conditions were perfect. The driving position felt lower than my R. I really liked that.

The stock exhaust sounded great with lots of pops and bangs.

The infotainment drove me mad in the few minutes I spent with the car. The sliders were completely unresponsive and I do think VW have completely overthought it. Not a fan.

Power delivery: tbh I was really underwhelmed by it. It felt a little sluggish and not as agile and nimble as I remember my Mk7 or the various 7.5 gtis I’ve driven as being. Really not sure what was going on there.

Interior quality felt very Golf like to me. I have no problem with it. Strangely the only thing I would say was that the doors opening and closing feel and sound a bit cheaper. That probably makes no sense.

So overall a bit of a mixed bag. A little on the disappointing side but I only had 10 mins with it. I could buy one and would be happy but it didn’t put a smile on my face like last gtis. Maybe it’s me.

Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Clubsport Testdrive
« Reply #1 on: 07 May 2021, 20:49 »
That sounds disappointing....

I don't think you've seen its good side there...

Yes the interface is confusing for a while.... I think I'm used to it now.

Yes the doors are definitely less heavy than the Mk7.

Yes the engine power delivery has changed due to different injectors that gives you more power lower down the rev range.

But in 10 mins it was hardly warmed up!

I guess you didn't find the flat handling, the eagerness to turn in.... you won't find it at 30mph in D.... you need to "drive in a spirited mannner appropriate for the prevalent road conditions and observing the speed limit at all times" 
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 07 May 2021, 21:08 »
You’re absolutely right Fred. I can’t judge it in such a limited time. I’ll be arranging another test drive when I can. Tbh it took them so long to get the car back that I wasn’t originally going to have a go but I sat in it and decided to have a quick blast.

The route was lots of B roads so most of the driving was pretty nice stuff. That’s where the power surprised me. One other thing I did notice was the apparent lack of dead pedal travel. Seemed more responsive.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline Yantos

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 08 May 2021, 05:43 »
I’ve done 400 miles from brand new in mine. I’ve found the engine has loosened up and it already feels quicker. Probably didn’t help being a brand new car that you drove.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 08 May 2021, 06:19 »
Good to read your impressions on the car Michele.
The dealership experience isn’t unusual, I’ve experienced a similar thing a few times and not just VW. Cars not ready or unavailable, blocked completely in etc.

I think we become desensitised to the performance and handling when we are used to sporty Golfs and then jump in an unfamiliar but broadly similar car and it just doesn’t feel ‘right’.
That’s why I hardly ever do test drives.

The one thing I was wondering if you’d mention was the throttle response. It definitely seems a bit perkier on the mk8 (still not perfect).

The door (lack of) thunk was one of the first things I noticed too.

The infotainment you do get mostly used to. Some days it’s infuriating and others it is ok.
Off the back of some recent posts on here I once again tried to become ‘primary user’ yesterday as I had a bit of time to kill waiting for an appointment. Did it work? Did it hell. S-Pin not recognised, account locked out, please connect to WiFi, sorry can’t connect to WiFi please change settings...
And so it went on.
Accepting defeat, eventually I gave up, but just to twist the knife the car resets annoying little things after those sessions. Usually it’s the most inconvenient things like when you select reverse and find the left mirror dip no longer dips where you last set it and the bloody rear wiper squawks across the back screen despite having been switched out before.  :angry:

Honestly, anyone who has an earlyish mk7 will feel a big generational change when getting into a mk8.
Anyone with a 7.5 won’t really get any improvements aside from a slightly funkier AID. The 7.5 is better looking, has a better interior, goes just as well (maybe an 8R is quicker in extremis), handles pretty much as well, and the infotainment isn’t such an obstructive chore at times. 

I bonded with my Clubsport really quickly and am extremely fond of it but I’d always suggest that those with a late 7.5 shouldn’t rush to change.

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 08 May 2021, 08:18 »
Thanks Andy. Making a lot of sense as always.

Yeah the throttle response stood out as being much better imo. Far more responsive.

I really liked the lack of the gear stick and the tiny selector instead. It actually frees up space and works exceptionally well.

I was looking to change to an Ed45 which would mean changing far sooner than planned but I think it’ll stick with what I have for now at least.

Offline Splashalot

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 08 May 2021, 11:51 »
.......Anyone with a 7.5 won’t really get any improvements aside from a slightly funkier AID. The 7.5 is better looking, has a better interior, goes just as well (maybe an 8R is quicker in extremis), handles pretty much as well, and the infotainment isn’t such an obstructive chore .... I’d always suggest that those with a late 7.5 shouldn’t rush to change.

Thank you for such an honest appraisal and  comparison of the 7/7.5 vs 8. This forum really needs  "like" button for such valuable posts.
1972 Turquoise Superbug S; 1978 Miami Blue Golf GLS; 2007 Mk5 Tornado Red Golf GTI; 2017 Golf 7.5 Trendline Tungsten Silver 1.4ltr 110TSi with DAP; 2018 Tornado Red GTI with DAP.  All MT.  Current: 2021 Mini Cooper SE, British racing green.

Offline Si_Telford

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 08 May 2021, 12:20 »
I've now been in a R and clubby. Honestly wish I held out for a clubby instead of just buying the standard but it does me fine. I find all traction controls on the clubby holds the power back for some reason

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 08 May 2021, 12:33 »
I've now been in a R and clubby. Honestly wish I held out for a clubby instead of just buying the standard but it does me fine. I find all traction controls on the clubby holds the power back for some reason

That’s an interesting point. I’m sure I’ve heard a reviewer comment on that too. Can’t remember who though!

Offline ash_rage

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 08 May 2021, 16:16 »
So I drove one today whilst I wait for my CS45.

I really enjoyed it.

Felt fun to drive and most importantly engaging.

I've had lots of hot hatchbacks and it was up with the best of them.

I've definitely made the right choice by selling my Model 3 Performance and going back to an ICE.

The exhaust sounded great.

The interior was lovely.

I don't know why people moan about the infotainment system or the haptic buttons. I had no issue at all. Maybe cause I am used to my Tesla.

A great car. I can't wait for mine go come.
Golf GTI Clubsport 45 (2022)