Author Topic: Droning noise at 70mph...  (Read 7331 times)

Offline JMS

• Not said much yet
Re: Droning noise at 70mph...
« Reply #30 on: 05 December 2021, 08:20 »
Please could you share the link to the thread?

You have given me hope! :smiley:

I’ve still got the noise even though I’ve changed wheels & tyres.
The damper sounds a cheaper troubleshooting fix than wheel bearings!

Cheers
Previous Dubs now sold:
- Manual Mk7 CSG PP, stg1, RS3 bushes, 26mm RARB & a lot of carnauba.
- DSG mkV R32, black with even more carnauba
- Manual Corrado VR6, dragon green
- Manual Polo G40 - Tornado red, Jabbasport ported charger
- Mk2 Big Bumper 8v GTI, Calypso blue

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #31 on: 05 December 2021, 08:40 »
Please could you share the link to the thread?

You have given me hope! :smiley:

I’ve still got the noise even though I’ve changed wheels & tyres.
The damper sounds a cheaper troubleshooting fix than wheel bearings!

Cheers

Other forum members have also fitted the harmonic damper - use the advanced search function; search on ‘harmonic’ and restrict your search to the mk7 forum board.

Here’s the link to golfdave’s thread over on golfmk7.com forum;

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/how-to-retro-fit-the-rear-subframe-harmonic-damper-from-the-audi-a3-saloon-2013.369369/
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline JMS

• Not said much yet
« Reply #32 on: 06 December 2021, 11:00 »
Thanks
Previous Dubs now sold:

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #33 on: 06 December 2021, 12:17 »
Over the last 18 months or so, I've retro fitted the Harmonic Dampener, the exhaust forward under cover, the exhaust rear undercover, the rear wishbone covers (spoilers) and the extended front engine underside splash shield. I'm not sure if any or all of them contribute to sound reduction, but if I have the artificial noise generator set to Eco at 70mph in the driver profile setup, then my GTI is commendably quiet (even on the not so quiet original Pirelli P6 tyres) at typical motorway speeds. Only those horrible concrete sections of the motorway spoil the quietness (but I guess that would be the same in any car) ?

In fact, I would say it's quieter at motorway speeds than the Audi A4 and Jaguar XF we have as pool cars that i drove recently, and much quieter that the company's BMW X1 pool car.
« Last Edit: 06 December 2021, 12:19 by Sootchucker »
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline JMS

• Not said much yet
« Reply #34 on: 06 December 2021, 12:52 »
Sootchucker- did you have the cyclical droning that only comes between 65-75mph and is not present at other speeds before your mods?

My soundaktor is turned off with VCDS, and the noise is still there  :undecided: Even with my winter wheels & tyres on, it’s still there. My Indy can hear it but is adamant it’s not a bearing, quite disappointed they didn’t know about the harmonic damper. I still haven’t ruled out the bearing personally.

Looks like a simple DIY, so I think I’ll wait until it’s warmer then fit one.
Previous Dubs now sold:

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #35 on: 06 December 2021, 15:10 »
To be honest, no I didn't (or at least didn't notice it if it was there) ?
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline golfdave

• Here all the time
« Reply #36 on: 23 December 2021, 16:59 »
Whirring Update!

After almost giving up on my well documented whirring sound that appears to emanate from the rear of my 2013 GTi PP manual at 70mph, I believe I’ve found the issue.

Inspiration came from a recent episode of Wheeler Dealers where mention was made of a harmonic damper that reduces sounds caused by resonance, specifically in chassis and suspension. With this in mind and some surfing the forums, I stumbled across the posts made by ‘golfdave’ who is a mine of excellent information. He gives detailed information regarding a harmonic damper that is factory fitted to some Audi’s and has the mounting holes drilled into the Mk7 Golf chassis. I won’t go into further details, but please do view the thread as it explains everything very well.

So, I bought the harmonic damper from my local Audi dealership, fitted it which was simple and the whirring that’s been bugging me for months is reduced to almost nothing, still slightly audible but so much better!

Glad you found that it reduced some of the noise from the back of the car..!!

Offline golfdave

• Here all the time
« Reply #37 on: 23 December 2021, 17:01 »
Over the last 18 months or so, I've retro fitted the Harmonic Dampener, the exhaust forward under cover, the exhaust rear undercover, the rear wishbone covers (spoilers) and the extended front engine underside splash shield. I'm not sure if any or all of them contribute to sound reduction, but if I have the artificial noise generator set to Eco at 70mph in the driver profile setup, then my GTI is commendably quiet (even on the not so quiet original Pirelli P6 tyres) at typical motorway speeds. Only those horrible concrete sections of the motorway spoil the quietness (but I guess that would be the same in any car) ?

In fact, I would say it's quieter at motorway speeds than the Audi A4 and Jaguar XF we have as pool cars that i drove recently, and much quieter that the company's BMW X1 pool car.

Working your way through my mods list I see... :nerd:

What annoys me is that the parts are there at the factory for this car & due to penny pinching they decided NOT to fit....if they did fit them the cost on the showroom SRP would be minimal, but the car would be better!!..