Author Topic: How to - Changing OEM Headlight HID Bulbs  (Read 15934 times)

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
How to - Changing OEM Headlight HID Bulbs
« on: 01 November 2014, 19:51 »
Right then, I grew a pair and fitted the bulbs I bought a while ago. It wasn't actually that difficult once the headlights were out and getting them out wasn't too difficult either, but here goes.

As with any 'How to' threads, any damage you cause to your car following the guide is not in any way associated with the author of the guide. You assume all responsibility for any problems you encounter. If in doubt, get a professional to do the work.
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
Re: How to - Changing OEM Headlight HID Bulbs
« Reply #1 on: 01 November 2014, 19:51 »
Here goes - I'm doing it from memory so there might be a few things forgotten nut I'm sure you'll get the idea...

1. First you need to take the grille off, this is simply two screws - one at either end on top of the grille and it lifts out with a bit of a tug.

2. Once that is off, you need to remove the black metal strips that go along the top of the headlights, there are three bolts on each, one near the wing and two near the grille...

3. Next it's worth popping the outer ends of the front bumper off. Three screws down inside the wheelarch on each side (one is tucked up where it joins the wing) and it pops off. This does need a fairly hefty tug so be careful! Once this is off, you will see a silver dome headed bolt behind it (it's where the metal rimmed hole is in the photo)...

4. Next is the retaining bolts for the headlight. One is here near the grille...

...and there is another one nearer the wing (which you only need to loosen a couple of turns)...

5. Not 100% whether this is needed or not, however I did it and it helped. You need to remove the 3 bolts that hold the bumper to the rest of the car. These are in a line on what would have been the lower edge of the grille. This will allow a bit of movement in the top of the bumper to remove the headlight (no photos though).

6. Remove the plug going into the back of the headlight shown in the above photo. You can see the clip you need to press in on the side of it.

7. The headlight should now just pull forward and up over the bumper. Be careful, there is the ballast etc bolted to the bottom of it and these may scratch the bumper if you are too heavy handed.

8. Once removed, place it down so you can see the back of it and remove the five screws to remove the cover (screws are already removed in the photo...

9. Once the cover is off, you will need to remove the bulb (the back of it is the square metal box)...

You cannot remove the connector until the bulb is half out, so you need to turn the black plastic lever(s) that are around the bulb and it should then just pull out. Get it out so the connector can clear the housing, remove the connector and then the bulb will come out all the way.

Installation is the reverse of removal!

Here's a photo of the difference in colour temperature between standard (4300K) and the one's I got (6000K)...

Light output (colour wise) seems a perfect match to the fogs, however (and this might be because of the cheap bulbs I used or the fact that as you go higher in colour temp, the light output drops) there is very slightly less light output, but they are still very good headlights!
« Last Edit: 02 November 2014, 17:04 by Gnasher »
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

Offline falconmick

• GTI forum regular
  • Golf MK7 R
« Reply #2 on: 02 November 2014, 12:00 »
C'mon gnasher, don't keep us in suspense?

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #3 on: 02 November 2014, 17:06 »
Done - I think it's well worth doing, although it has made my cornering lights (which are supposed to be 'xenon blue') look more yellow than European fog lights!

Offline mike_f

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 04 April 2017, 20:07 »
I just tried to do this with a very similar video tutorial online and got as far as unclipping the side bumper...

There didnt seem to be any budging it - even with a lot of force...

Is the GTD the same as the GTI I assume???

This was the video I used which shows how to remove the light.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obCW_15pDUU

Seems a few mote steps - with the 10mm bolts.. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance :D