Author Topic: Great forum, great advice and a great decision!  (Read 2509 times)

Offline Simon C

• Not said much yet
Great forum, great advice and a great decision!
« on: 19 August 2013, 23:39 »
Dear All

I previously posted about a dilemna I faced: GTI, GTD or A3 S-line: http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=257483.0

Having driven the A3 I had the test drives of the GTI and GTD (multiple having visited different dealers across northern england) and I thought I would share what i did next:

GTI 3-door, no PP
Coming from the BMW 123 M Sport I was thinking the interior was going to be a step-down, but no-way. I was pretty impressed with the cabin as a pretty luxurious place to be. Also really surprised with the number of 'extras' that are included within the spec e.g., front / rear sensors, cruise control and blue-tooth. As for the drive, wow - really put a smile on my face. The BM is powerful, but the GTI seemed 'raw' and naughty. Thankfully the dealer gave me the keys and let me have an hour alone.....probably because I took my dad out so thought he (dad) would supervise, however he also likes to 'put his foot down' as he says. So I drove on a mix of dual carriageways and also a few country roads - it felt like a really solid and comfortable ride with a great driving position....very similar position to the Mk6 GTI that i drove 4 years ago. The GTI seemed like a good all rounder too which was encouraging for my motorway drives - I mean i had some time stuck in 6th gear doing 80 mph and it seemed just to tick over and by the time I ran out of tarmac i was getting close to 38 MPG. I must also add that i aint a typical boy racer and will normally 'bottle-it' before things get too hairy...however, the GTI was still willing to go when i was thinking 'must slow down'. This was comforting as it suggests I can learn how to better drive the car over time and get the best out of it's pace and performance.

The only down-sides and it may seem pedantic was that I was not massively keen on the 18" standard wheels. In addition, I could not really tell the difference between the 5 settings i.e. Eco, sport, comfort, normal etc....however I realise I did not cover too many miles and this may come with time.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention I thought the GTI looked the dogs bo**ocks.....aggressive but not 'chav' like some of the other hot hatches (e.g., ST). Tried it in red and it did look great. Only down-side was that I was not happy with the red line going across the front and into the lights....just did not work 100% for me.

GTD Test Drives
I will not duplicate what i mentioned above, the interior is still great....essentially same as GTI but some colour differences. In terms of the drive it did feel quick - but, it is too similar to the BMW. The other thing is whilst there is only 15 HP difference and 0.5 secs difference 0-60 compared to my BMW.....you could notice that difference. It did feel marginally slower. Yep, as expected the MPG was noticeably differerent to the GTI, even over 10 - 15 mile test drives. Whilst the GTI just about managed mid-late 30s, the GTD was over 50 MPG....though i was not as keen with the GTD obviously. :smug:

Looks wise I must admit they are very similar and in red I thought the GTD did look great...the silver extras on the GTD and the line on the grill etc work great with Tornado Red.

The Decisions
1. GTD or GTI.....or A3: In my original thread I shared the fact that the GTI would cost me another £100 per month, potentially a little more on running costs...and being a tight Yorkshireman deep down that has bugged me.....and i mean alot, I have excel spread-sheeted this to death. But, life is short and the GTI made me smile and want to stay out all day in it, looks immense too. Decision made: GTI. :laugh: 3 door by the way.....looks sportier and smarter in my opinion  :whistle:

2. Colour: This has been the hardest thing to go for. I have spent hours on this forum looking at pictures, reading opinions for and against etc. Also looked at dozens of youtube clips time and time again and for me it came down to the 2 colours: red or pure white. I did not really consider the Oryx as I did not notice the difference...though must admit i did not see in person. I mentioned my doubts about red above, however think the white looks class as long as specced with 1 specific extra (see below). Decision made: Pure White.

3. Wheels: From the clips I have seen on Y'tube and some in the show-room I thought the Pure white, 3 door looked ace with the 19" Santiagos. Decision made: 19" Santiagos.

4. Other extras: With the tough decision made about colour the rest was pretty easy. However, it is easy to get carried away ticking lots of extra boxes. I did not spec the P Pack as like i say I dont think I would test the car to enjoy the full benefit i.e. working hard out of corners. Decision: Sat Nav basic selected.

So having dwelled and analysed this to death for weeks the order has now been placed and I have been given an initial estimated time of end of November 2013. Feels like a real weight off my mind.

I hope you have enjoyed a bit of my insight into how and why I made the decision I did....I am sure many of you have had similar experiences. Also want to thank you for making your posts and making this such an informative forum....I have been on it daily for weeks now! Really interesting and it has helped me make my decision.

I am pleased to soon be joining the VW GTI/GTD group for proper and look forward to getting involved in future discussions.

Best wishes

Si
Letting my heart rule and not my head - GTI Mark 7 arrived: 3dr, 19" Santiago, sat nav, pure white.

Offline RikWebb

• Here all the time
  • Like tears in rain....
Re: Great forum, great advice and a great decision!
« Reply #1 on: 20 August 2013, 00:02 »
A very good choice Si  :smiley:

You wont regret it.
The 19" would be my choice if going for the GTi as well mate - I'm another that doesn't like the standard wheels on the GTi

I like you went through the same dilemma and choice decisions - so know how you feel :)

Enjoy buddy  :wink:
MK7.5 GTD DSG Isaac Blue 5Dr - 19" Santiago's / Nav Pro / Pano Roof / Keyless / Rear Camera / Mobile Wireless charger
Ordered 22/09/2017 - BW confirmed as 23/10/2017

Previous
MK7 GTD Ordered - May 16th 2013 - Tornado Red, Discover Pro Nav - Promised 16 week delivery - HA!
191 Days = 27 Weeks from order to delivery

Offline AAddict

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 20 August 2013, 00:10 »
Congratulations on making the right decision.  :smiley:
Cancelled GTI, M135i beast mode.

Offline Gryzor

• I live here
  • Go white, or go home!
« Reply #3 on: 20 August 2013, 07:00 »
Yeah, congratulations on making the right decision FOR YOU! :)  I agree that PP on an every day car that's not on a track isn't worth it at all, and I swapped for basic nav too.  But, I don't like the 19s and need 5 doors for the practicality.  Pure White though?  Pure class!  :grin:

Edit: Collection by end of November feels a bit optimistic based on experiences here, but who knows?!  Maybe they finally got their act together for those patient enough to hold fire on ordering!
« Last Edit: 20 August 2013, 07:03 by Gryzor »
Pure White Mk7 GTI (5dr, Manual)

Options: Reverse Camera, Keyless, Adaptive Chasis, Climate Screen, Winter Pack, Discover Nav, Advanced Phone Prep

Offline Hawaii-Five-O

• I live here
  • Are we nearly there yet?
« Reply #4 on: 20 August 2013, 08:56 »
@Simon C

Feels good to have made your decision as its a weight lifted on such a big purchase. Like you I agonised and eventually switched from a GTD (cancelled order) to a GTI after a test drive.

I didn't order P-Pack either. Felt it unnecessary on an already powerful car. Others will strongly disagree - but that's why this is a lively forum :grin:

Colour - one of the hardest choices, if not thee hardest. I went for PW as well. However I seriously wavered about going for CG as its exclusive to GTD/GTI models. The reason I didn't pick it - it's just a bit too close to black in most light conditions, and I don't like black cars. So PW was my choice.

As Gryzor says, I think end of November for collection is a bit pie in the sky but you never know.

Oh yeah, welcome to the forums :wink:
Current: BMW M140i / ZF8 / 5 DR
Past: MK7 GTI / DSG / WHITE / 5 DR

Offline Bill_the_Bear

• I live here
  • Yes! Wait a minute... No!
« Reply #5 on: 20 August 2013, 10:10 »
Edit: Collection by end of November feels a bit optimistic based on experiences here, but who knows?!  Maybe they finally got their act together for those patient enough to hold fire on ordering!

One would hope.  However, in another thread yesterday someone posted an email they got from VW saying something about them not wanting to rush things due to higher demand.  Now, I assume this is a standard BS response, but if we take them at their word then I don't think cars will start to come through faster any time soon.

Offline Flintymutt

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 20 August 2013, 10:42 »
Simon,

Just so you're aware, I ordered 2 months ago with an initial build date of 14th October. I imaging its another 6 weeks from there on to delivery??? On this basis you might well be looking at next year for yours.

Offline Bill_the_Bear

• I live here
  • Yes! Wait a minute... No!
« Reply #7 on: 20 August 2013, 10:45 »
I think it is best to assume next year and then be pleasantly surprised rather than go through the experience of many of us on here where our expectations have been revised back repeatedly causing irritation and/or disappointment on a weekly basis.  If you go into this thinking "I won't have my car until March" then you'll cope much better I think!

Oh yeah, and fix your p/x in writing with VW asap.  Let them give you an optimistic delivery date (but don't believe it) and fix on that basis then you won't get screwed over.

Good luck!