Author Topic: Coincidence is a funny thing  (Read 2808 times)

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
Coincidence is a funny thing
« on: 18 August 2013, 08:41 »
Having been sat on build week 33 (this week) for over 5 weeks, and as of yesterday my car still not showing as starting to build, I got really pi55ed off and went into the dealership and told them if it hadn't progressed by Monday, consider the car cancelled, and I would come in to collect my deposit. To say he looked a little surprised and shocked was an understatement, but I wasn't going to put up with this crap anymore.

That left me with what to get as a contingency. One was to keep the Scirocco (that has been brilliant), which wouldn't have been much or a hardship. We also went to a couple of dealerships and test drove 2 cars.

Firstly Mercedes A class C220 AMG Sport 7 speed Auto. I actually liked this much more than I thought I would. Powerful, well built, and in a lovely metallic blue. Problem ultimately would be price. To the same spec as the GTD, it came in over £2.5k more, and Mercedes say they are offering no discount at all on the A class !

Second was the new Seat Leon FR 184 ( same engine as GTD). Fully specced it comes in nearly £7k cheaper than the Golf. Drove spectacularly and the new engine is both quiet, flexible and powerful. A couple of problems for me with the Seat. Firstly, no DSG box on this combination until next year, so only manual. Secondly, not all the tech on the GTD is available (but it does have gorgeous LED headlights), and lastly, to be honest, you can see on the insides where the money's been saved...but £7k cheaper......

So been pondering what to do, and for some reason decided to check the tracker one last time, and low and behold, it's gone to "build in progress".

Is this coincidence or what ?
« Last Edit: 18 August 2013, 08:43 by Norbreck21a »
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline Hawaii-Five-O

• I live here
  • Are we nearly there yet?
Re: Coincidence is a funny thing
« Reply #1 on: 18 August 2013, 08:58 »
In all honesty I think its a coincidence.

I don't think your chat with your dealer will have made a jot of difference - unless he tells you otherwise. In reality, how many strings could he pull at Wolfsburg? Probably none.

Does this mean you're BW confirmed, or finally on the production line? I hope it is :)

You're only 4 weeks away from ownership. Yay!
« Last Edit: 18 August 2013, 09:01 by Hawaii-Five-O »
Current: BMW M140i / ZF8 / 5 DR
Past: MK7 GTI / DSG / WHITE / 5 DR

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 18 August 2013, 09:04 »
you probably would have waited the same time for the Leon according to my local dealer.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline JellyB

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 18 August 2013, 09:05 »
Given how much pull our dealers seem to have with anything I would say its some sort of happy coincidence.

Or perhaps the new tracker is actually being updated more often than weekly (as it seems to have been previously).

And as an aside, as I am predicted a Nov/Dec delivery I also was considering a Leon FR as a fall back in either 184 diesel or just warm 1.8 TSI form (new or used).

Offline Misterp

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 18 August 2013, 09:47 »
Mate this is a happy coincidence. the dealers in uk only contact VWCS they have no clout beyond the kitchen in their office. Time wasters. 

My car goes to build wc 18/08 I.e today and I have been lying in bed refreshing every other hour and being off from work this next week means I will be doing the same thing every day. Sad but has to be done.

Lets hope it updates itself to build in progress or the dealer will be getting a call from me.
Golf GTD mk7 DSG pearl black - collected 25 September 2013.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 18 August 2013, 09:49 »
Happy coincidence with me too - build in progress. About feckin' time.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Gryzor

• I live here
  • Go white, or go home!
« Reply #6 on: 18 August 2013, 10:28 »
Pure coincidence, and some great news.  As for the Seat, it might have been £7k cheaper, but it's cheaper for a reason, and will depreciate faster in relative terms.  The wait for the GTD will have been totally worth it, not long now eh?! :)
Pure White Mk7 GTI (5dr, Manual)

Options: Reverse Camera, Keyless, Adaptive Chasis, Climate Screen, Winter Pack, Discover Nav, Advanced Phone Prep

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 18 August 2013, 10:33 »
Pure coincidence, and some great news.  As for the Seat, it might have been £7k cheaper, but it's cheaper for a reason, and will depreciate faster in relative terms.  The wait for the GTD will have been totally worth it, not long now eh?! :)

Bigger depreciation and reluctance to discount (in my experience) make the Seat False economy. The Seat FR 184PS TDI is £2800ish cheaper than the GTD by the time you bring it close to GTD spec with 18" alloys, 18" space saver wheel, comfort pack (rain/light sensors), safety pack (tiredness recognition/seat belt reminder). For that money it does not have Xenon headlights (you can't spec them it seems - Halogen or pay extra for LED headlights (£995) - you don't get DAB either. The interior is Fugly, especially the steering wheel and main dash.
« Last Edit: 18 August 2013, 11:16 by monkeyhanger »
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 18 August 2013, 10:33 »
Sorry, I should have been clearer. Didn't think for one minute this was anything to do with the dealer or my chat yesterday, just coincidence or karma.

In any case, yes it being or has already been built. Just a month worst case now and it should be in my grubby hands  :grin: :grin: :grin:

Happy for you too monkeyhanger, we've both waited more than long enough.
« Last Edit: 18 August 2013, 10:35 by Norbreck21a »
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline NickNotts

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 18 August 2013, 10:47 »

Don't think it's a coincidence at all... I'm 33 too, last night tracker was build confirmed, and when I gt back about 1am checked again and moved to build in progress!  :smug:

Bit weird as in theory it should have been built by now rather than just starting to be built, which suggest week 34 instead?? But getting closer to reality now!