Author Topic: Some (hopefully) interesting titbits for the GTI/GTD  (Read 24689 times)

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
HI all. As I mentioned yesterday, I logged onto my Erwin account and saw there was a new self study guide there for the MK7 GTI and GTD models. Now VW's T&C's forbid me to freely distribute the document (although you can download it yourself), but thought I give you a few bits of information that you may / may not know.

Difference in Wheelbase.

According to the booklet, the GTI/GTD models have a slightly shorter wheelbase than the standard MK7 models, which I think is very strange considering I thought they would just use the same shell (maybe a misprint) ?

GTI Wheelbase by Sootchucker, on Flickr

Golf 7 by Sootchucker, on Flickr

I know the photos show a 3 door and a 5 door, but apparently it's the same for both.

GTD Engine

Variable valve timing - Variable valve timing has been integrated in the camshaft housing of the 2.0 l 135 kW TDI engine. It allows the valve timing of the adjustable camshaft to be adjusted sleeplessly within a crank angle range of 0° to 50° to late. Adjusting the valve timing allows the swirling motion of the air drawn into the cylinder to be increased, which ensures a good fuel mixture is attained. Furthermore, the variable valve timing can be used to reduce the compression in the cylinder, ensuring the production of nitrogen oxides is reduced during combustion.

The glow plug installed on the 3rd cylinder, with an integrated cylinder pressure sensor, identifies the respective actual cylinder pressure curve using the engine management system. This additional information from the 3rd cylinder's combustion chamber pressure sender G679 contributes to more precise regulation of the fuel injection.

Brakes

Two sets of brake equipment:
• Disc brakes at the front and rear with a red brake calliper, brake disc size: front: 312mm x 25mm, rear: 300mm x 12mm

• Golf GTI “Performance”: Disc brakes at the front and rear with GTI lettering, brake disc size: front: 340mm x 30mm, rear: 312mm x 22mm

Although the non "Performance" disc size remains the same diameter as previous generation GTI (312mm), the pad contact area is over 50% larger due to a modified calliper and piston arrangement.

Steering

The steering wheel angle of a vehicle, for example the Golf 2009 with its standard steering, is 1080°. The driver needs to turn the steering wheel 1.5 times to reach the maximum steering stop to the left and right.
A vehicle with progressive steering has, in contrast, a steering wheel angle of only 720°. The driver only needs to turn the steering wheel once (360°) to reach the maximum steering stop to the left and right.

Steering response with progressive steering
When driving straight ahead, the driver enjoys the usual, direct steering sensation. The steering pinion meshes with the straight teeth of the steering rack. When driving on winding roads, driving on hairpin bends, cornering, parking and  manoeuvring, the driver can feel that the steering is responding more dynamically. With the help of the helical teeth, the steering ratio becomes higher and increases progressively as the steering angle becomes greater.

Adaptive Cruise Control

The only difference in the control unit used in the Golf 2013 is visual. Its characteristics remain unchanged. There is still a radar sensor integrated in the control unit. A sensor heater integrated into the surface of the sensor prevents the sensor vision being compromised by ice and snow. The heater is a component of the radar sensor and is activated when temperatures fall below +5 °C.

ESP Sport

New for the GTI and GTD - 2-stage button
Stage 1: TCS/ETC is shut down.
Stage 2: ESC is switched to delayed intervention. This allows more “oversteer”.

Actuator for structure-borne sound R214

The actuator for structure-borne sound R214 generates a sporty engine sound in the vehicle interior.
It is a component of the standard equipment in the Golf GTI/GTD 2013.
Installation location
The actuator for structure-borne sound R214 and the control unit for structure-borne sound J869 are installed on
the cross member for the windscreen.

Sound generator by Sootchucker, on Flickr

Function
The input variables for activation of the actuator for structure-borne sound R214 are the engine speed, the engine torque and the vehicle speed. The control unit for structure-borne sound J869 receives the signals from the engine control unit J623 and activates the actuator for structure-borne sound R214 accordingly. This stimulates the windscreen and the vibrations produced by the windscreen generate an artificial driving noise which can only be heard in the vehicle interior. The driving noise  generated is matched to the driving modes – “Eco”, “Normal” or “Sport”.

Telephone Comfort

The mobile telephone interface “Comfort”
The mobile telephone interface “Comfort” ensures mobile telephones have the best possible reception by using an inductive connection to the external aerial. The inductive connection is made via the aerial amplifier 3 R112 in the coupling box. This is connected to the GSM external aerial R205 by the two-way signal amplifier for mobile telephone/data services J984. This has allowed the transmission and reception conditions for the mobile telephone to be improved greatly. The two-way signal amplifier for mobile telephone/data services J984 is installed on the right C-pillar. The respective mobile telephone is connected to the control unit 1 for information electronics J794 by Bluetooth for transmitting music data. The Bluetooth profiles HFP and A2DP are supported.

Telephone comfort by Sootchucker, on Flickr

Technical features of the mobile telephone interface “Comfort”
• The audio files stored on the mobile telephone can be accessed using the TFT touchscreen (AVRCP 1.3)
• Connection to the external aerial via the charge bracket in the centre console
• Operation and display using the multifunction display “Plus” or “Premium” and TFT touchscreen for the radio or radio navigation system, as well as via an optional multifunction steering wheel
• Bluetooth audio streaming A2DP (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile)
• Hands-free system
• Bluetooth hands-free system HFP (hands-free profile 1.5)
• 900/1800MHz GSM network supported
• Voice control
• Telephone contact/address data can be used for entering destinations in navigation system.
• Telephone contact data with image display
• Mobile telephone can be coupled using Secure Simple Pairing (SSP)
• Telephone book access using Phone Book Access Profile (PBAP)

The coupling box
The coupling box is located in the stowage tray in the centre console, below the armrest. The aerial amplifier 3 R112 is located in the front part of the stowage tray. Furthermore, the USB connection retainer R193 is integrated into the coupling box, allowing the respective mobile telephone to be charged using the corresponding cable.

coupling box by Sootchucker, on Flickr

Hope this is of use to some.
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
Re: Some (hopefully) interesting titbits for the GTI/GTD
« Reply #1 on: 13 August 2013, 09:25 »
Very useful - all we need now is someone to tell us what we can do with VCDS on the MK7 Golf GTI/GTD. I've been promised a lend of a VCDS cable by someone from a Scirocco forum who lives locally to me. There were a few handy features for the Scirocco to select, hoping the GTI and GTD have similar secrets to unlock.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline matchboy

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 13 August 2013, 09:29 »
Very useful - all we need now is someone to tell us what we can do with VCDS on the MK7 Golf GTI/GTD. I've been promised a lend of a VCDS cable by someone from a Scirocco forum who lives locally to me. There were a few handy features for the Scirocco to select, hoping the GTI and GTD have similar secrets to unlock.

Like what MH? I'm intrigued!
Audi RS5 2018
Gone: BMW M4 LCI Competition Package
Previous: Mk 3 Audi TTS, Porsche 981 Cayman S, Mk 7 Golf R, Mk 7 GTI, Mk 6 GTI, Mk 5 GTI and so on....

Offline Jimble

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 13 August 2013, 09:39 »

A couple of the features of the mk6 that could only be activated/deactivated with vcds can be done through the infotainment screen, like deactivating the auto rear wiper and needle sweep is now standard as is the digital speed display (i think).
Currently pootling around in our family wagen, a Tiguan SEL 😂

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 13 August 2013, 10:03 »

Like what MH? I'm intrigued!

Most of the VCDS selectable stuff for the Scirocco is standard on the GTI/GTD, so hopefully there are new things to select.

For the Scirocco I selected the needle sweep "staging"; XDS was a £280 option, but all the hardware was already there, just a case of activating it in VCDS; lazy DRLs on the Scirocco - VW just had dipped beam on all the time, which made a mockery of the auto lights, so I switched them to sidelights; activated beep on locking (reassuring to hear the beep to know it is locked).

There doesn't look much on the GTI/GTD options list that may be VCDS activated because they require additional hardware, but possibilities look like they might be:-

1. Voice activated audio.
2. High beam assist (if it uses the light sensor to detect oncoming drivers).

I'm sure there'll be some customisation of what the MFD and head unit can/will display.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline dippy_x

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 13 August 2013, 10:49 »
I'd be interested to know a out the voice activated audio - which was a £180 option if I remember correctly.

I have high beam assist already ordered - thought this relied on some additional hardware/sensors on the back of the rear view mirror?
On Order: 02/05/13
GTD: Carbon Grey, Winter Pack, Keyless, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera, Furry Dice
Collected: 06/11/13

Offline Jimble

• Forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 13 August 2013, 10:55 »
I'd be interested to know a out the voice activated audio - which was a £180 option if I remember correctly.

I have high beam assist already ordered - thought this relied on some additional hardware/sensors on the back of the rear view mirror?

Pretty sure it does, it needs a camera i think? Could be wrong mind but i know one of the assist systems is camera based.
Currently pootling around in our family wagen, a Tiguan SEL 😂

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 13 August 2013, 11:02 »
I doubt vcds will do much as Jimble has said most of the little tweaks are already standard. Ive got a cable MH if your interested in a mooch about with it?
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline neilgcal

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 13 August 2013, 11:08 »
So I'm presuming if you have the heated windscreen which I have on order then as I have to have the phone system I will end up with a shark fin even though I have not specified the nav???

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 13 August 2013, 11:10 »
yes. it may even have the cables from the shark fin for nav fitment.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.