Author Topic: Just 61 Mk7 GTI & GTD Ex-Demos for Sale on Volkswagen.co.uk  (Read 7112 times)

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
Re: Just 61 Mk7 GTI & GTD Ex-Demos for Sale on Volkswagen.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: 13 August 2013, 11:06 »
Even if you wait a year and buy a used example from a dealer, it's still not going to save you a huge amount of money because of what it is.  If you can afford it, you really can't beat the pleasure of owning a brand new car built to the specification you wanted.

VW nearly new prices are exactly the reason I buy a VW new - why buy a year old one for 10% less than list when you can get a brand new, unmolested one, to your specification for a similar price if you are prepared to haggle (less haggling opportunities on the used lot I have found).
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #11 on: 13 August 2013, 12:39 »
VW nearly new prices are exactly the reason I buy a VW new - why buy a year old one for 10% less than list when you can get a brand new, unmolested one, to your specification for a similar price if you are prepared to haggle (less haggling opportunities on the used lot I have found).

It depends on the car to be fair. I bought a year old Passat Estate Sport earlier this year from a VW dealer. It's retail price was £27,000, I paid less than £17,000.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 13 August 2013, 13:07 »

It depends on the car to be fair. I bought a year old Passat Estate Sport earlier this year from a VW dealer. It's retail price was £27,000, I paid less than £17,000.

Yes it does depend on the car, VWs are a mixed bag when it comes to residuals. Lots of people would pick a Golf over and Astra/Focus/Megane etc, not so many would pick a Polo over it's direct peers. Passat is the one VW that's heavy on the fleet action, which always harms residuals (CC excepted). Most surprising to me is the new Beetle - miles away better than the old one in looks - it looks like it could be an early Porsche incarnation, but the residuals on those are shocking - is it that are they built in Brazil or poor in the equipment stakes?

I would always buy new vs 1 year old for any Golf (inc Cabriolet), EOS, Polo GTI, Passat CC or Scirocco. For the others, maybe not.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline CraigW

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 13 August 2013, 13:28 »

Yes it does depend on the car, VWs are a mixed bag when it comes to residuals. Lots of people would pick a Golf over and Astra/Focus/Megane etc, not so many would pick a Polo over it's direct peers. Passat is the one VW that's heavy on the fleet action, which always harms residuals (CC excepted). Most surprising to me is the new Beetle - miles away better than the old one in looks - it looks like it could be an early Porsche incarnation, but the residuals on those are shocking - is it that are they built in Brazil or poor in the equipment stakes?

I would always buy new vs 1 year old for any Golf (inc Cabriolet), EOS, Polo GTI, Passat CC or Scirocco. For the others, maybe not.

The Beetle is a terrible looking car. VW made an arse of it when they put a flower holder in the first mark and basically alienated the male population (well most of the male population  :wink:). You look what BMW have done with the mini brand and theres no comparison. I wouldnt be seen dead in a new beetle

Offline AAddict

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 13 August 2013, 15:01 »

The Beetle is a terrible looking car. VW made an arse of it when they put a flower holder in the first mark and basically alienated the male population (well most of the male population  :wink:). You look what BMW have done with the mini brand and theres no comparison. I wouldnt be seen dead in a new beetle

See you say that, and you previous car was a TT :kiss:
Cancelled GTI, M135i beast mode.

Offline CraigW

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 13 August 2013, 15:19 »

Don't follow you there. Are you implying that Audi cocked up the mk2 TT? To me it's still one of the best looking cars on the road. I think few would argue

Edit: if you mean the hairdresser connotations then that was bollocks. I don't know too many hairdressers who could afford a TT
« Last Edit: 13 August 2013, 15:21 by CraigW »

Offline AAddict

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 13 August 2013, 15:20 »

Don't follow you there. Are you implying that Audi cocked up the mk2 TT? To me it's still one of the best looking cars on the road. I think few would argue

It was me trying to be funny, you said the Beetle was a girls car  :wink:
Cancelled GTI, M135i beast mode.

Offline Gryzor

• I live here
  • Go white, or go home!
« Reply #17 on: 13 August 2013, 15:23 »

I must admit, when the Mk2 TT launched I didn't like it as much as the original and thought it felt a bit feminine.  I don't think it's on a scale like the Beetle, but I know a few women who have the Mk2 TT as a company car, and of the 3 TTs that I see driving around near me regularly, they are all driven by women.  Not saying it's wholly reflective of the buying populous, but I don't see as many women driving GTIs!

Edit: Just to add, I now think it's a better looking car than the original, but still reserve judgment on the gender-bias! :grin:
« Last Edit: 13 August 2013, 15:26 by Gryzor »
Pure White Mk7 GTI (5dr, Manual)

Options: Reverse Camera, Keyless, Adaptive Chasis, Climate Screen, Winter Pack, Discover Nav, Advanced Phone Prep

Offline CraigW

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 13 August 2013, 15:30 »

I must admit, when the Mk2 TT launched I didn't like it as much as the original and thought it felt a bit feminine.  I don't think it's on a scale like the Beetle, but I know a few women who have the Mk2 TT as a company car, and of the 3 TTs that I see driving around near me regularly, they are all driven by women.  Not saying it's wholly reflective of the buying populous, but I don't see as many women driving GTIs!

Edit: Just to add, I now think it's a better looking car than the original, but still reserve judgment on the gender-bias! :grin:

Ill say one thing though, the TTRS is a supercar killer. It's possibly the best value for money high performance car on the market. Some of the boys on the TT forum are running 450bhp plus. Not too many girls driving those

Offline matchboy

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 13 August 2013, 15:33 »

Ill say one thing though, the TTRS is a supercar killer. It's possibly the best value for money high performance car on the market. Some of the boys on the TT forum are running 450bhp plus

This +1

The TTRS is an absolute monster and there are very few cars that can beat it speed wise. If I had the money I would definitely have one, inside & out its awesome!
Audi RS5 2018
Gone: BMW M4 LCI Competition Package
Previous: Mk 3 Audi TTS, Porsche 981 Cayman S, Mk 7 Golf R, Mk 7 GTI, Mk 6 GTI, Mk 5 GTI and so on....