Author Topic: VW not able to supply .....  (Read 9342 times)

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
Re: VW not able to supply .....
« Reply #20 on: 07 August 2013, 15:45 »
The sensors don't even come close to the camera in my view.
Had the camera on my Mk6 and have sensors on current car and would pay for the camera every time. In no way a gimmick. My opinion of course.
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline Bill_the_Bear

• I live here
  • Yes! Wait a minute... No!
« Reply #21 on: 07 August 2013, 16:05 »
Gimmick: A trick or device intended to attract attention, publicity, or business.

Not sure many of the options on the car could be "intended to attract attention" besides the paint and wheels.  Although I suppose you could say they are intending to attract attention from potential buyers in the showroom... which makes virtually everything a gimmick!

I guess by gimmick people often mean "not my priority".  For example Mcmaddy isn't interested in keyless, but I'm keen to have it.  For me Dynaudio is not worth having yet for others they wouldn't do without it.

Ricepop

« Reply #22 on: 07 August 2013, 16:13 »
I picked it because it was cool and cheap.

This is exactly the reason why I chose Park assist, For only £145 I can spend all day sitting in the car while it parks itself (no need for the camera).
I also wanted Keyless but I park my car right next to the house so there is a very real chance that it will not lock ever, I had thoughts of getting up every morning to find it parked in the middle of the road with all the doors open.

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #23 on: 07 August 2013, 17:12 »
Gimmick: A trick or device intended to attract attention, publicity, or business.

Not sure many of the options on the car could be "intended to attract attention" besides the paint and wheels.  Although I suppose you could say they are intending to attract attention from potential buyers in the showroom... which makes virtually everything a gimmick!

I guess by gimmick people often mean "not my priority".  For example Mcmaddy isn't interested in keyless, but I'm keen to have it.  For me Dynaudio is not worth having yet for others they wouldn't do without it.

Gimmick as in, "hey passenger look at this extra that looks great" but serves no function. Its function can't be argued. It just depends how much you value it.

When I ordered it for the MK6 I must admit I thought it would be a gimmick especially for the price (Think it was £125) but couldn't believe how useful it was. When I went to change the car last year the only 2 options I wanted on a new GTD was wheels and the camera.

Like you say though, what some would class as must haves others wouldn't look at twice, but gimmick its certainly not.
« Last Edit: 07 August 2013, 17:22 by p3asa »
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline Gryzor

• I live here
  • Go white, or go home!
« Reply #24 on: 07 August 2013, 18:36 »
This is exactly the reason why I chose Park assist, For only £145 I can spend all day sitting in the car while it parks itself (no need for the camera).
I also wanted Keyless but I park my car right next to the house so there is a very real chance that it will not lock ever, I had thoughts of getting up every morning to find it parked in the middle of the road with all the doors open.

The camera isn't just useful for actual parking manoeuvres, it's for whenever you reverse the car in any situation.  A steal at the price IMO, but I ditched the Park Assist as I have no problem parking and my mate has it on his focus, never uses it apart from to show mates...so never uses it because we've all seen it now!

Funnily enough, we had a chat about keyless at work today, and that kinda' subject came up.  According to the VW blurb, the key needs to be within about 1.5m of the car.
« Last Edit: 07 August 2013, 18:45 by Gryzor »
Pure White Mk7 GTI (5dr, Manual)

Options: Reverse Camera, Keyless, Adaptive Chasis, Climate Screen, Winter Pack, Discover Nav, Advanced Phone Prep

Offline CraigW

• I live here
« Reply #25 on: 07 August 2013, 18:43 »
[/quote

The camera isn't just useful for actual parking manoeuvres, it's for whenever you reverse the car in any situation.  A steal at the price IMO, but I ditched the Park Assist as I have no problem parking and my mate has it on his focus, never uses it apart from to show mates...so never uses it because we've all seen it now!

Funnily enough, we had a chat about keyless at work today, and that kinda' subject came up.  According to the VW blurb, the key needs to be within about 1.5m of the car.

The keyless entry is actually really easy. You know the car is definitely locked when you touch the handle and the wing mirrors fold in so it gives you a high degree of confidence that the car is locked. It's only unlocked when you put you go to grab the handle. Simples  :smiley: :smiley:

Offline Gryzor

• I live here
  • Go white, or go home!
« Reply #26 on: 07 August 2013, 18:48 »
The keyless entry is actually really easy. You know the car is definitely locked when you touch the handle and the wing mirrors fold in so it gives you a high degree of confidence that the car is locked. It's only unlocked when you put you go to grab the handle. Simples  :smiley: :smiley:

Yeah exactly, but I think the worry is that some people need to park their car close to the house such that there might be a chance that even though the key is indoors, somebody could walk up to the handle, open it, and start the car.  Naturally if this happened and they stopped the engine, or stalled it, they wouldn't be able to start it again.

Options: Reverse Camera, Keyless, Adaptive Chasis, Climate Screen, Winter Pack, Discover Nav, Advanced Phone Prep

Offline CraigW

• I live here
« Reply #27 on: 07 August 2013, 18:56 »

Yeah exactly, but I think the worry is that some people need to park their car close to the house such that there might be a chance that even though the key is indoors, somebody could walk up to the handle, open it, and start the car.  Naturally if this happened and they stopped the engine, or stalled it, they wouldn't be able to start it again.

I might be wrong but I don't think they would get very far because the car very quickly detects that the key is not in close proximity and the engine switches off

Offline Gryzor

• I live here
  • Go white, or go home!
« Reply #28 on: 07 August 2013, 19:01 »
I might be wrong but I don't think they would get very far because the car very quickly detects that the key is not in close proximity and the engine switches off

I guess that makes sense, and is easy for the car to detect a diminishing signal...just don't want the battery  in the fob dying during a motorway run and the car shutting off ;) I'm sure that wouldn't happen anyway, VW must have covered all the obvious bases...I hope!

Running Man

« Reply #29 on: 07 August 2013, 19:18 »

I have Keyless and Rear Camera both excellent additions IMO.  Not at all gimmicks, in fact I can not see any factory build options which are gimmicks.  Just some things buyers want and other buyers do not, all about personal preferences.
« Last Edit: 07 August 2013, 19:34 by Running Man »