Author Topic: VW not able to supply .....  (Read 9328 times)

Offline DougL

• Here all the time
Re: VW not able to supply .....
« Reply #10 on: 07 August 2013, 08:32 »
I never understood the rear camera thing either (apart from it looking kind of cool, when the boot lid badge opens). The sensors and direct vision are so easy to use; nice to have, but certainly not a dealbreaker.
Tornado Red GTI 3dr manual

Previous Golfs Mk1 GLS and GL, Mk2 GL and Driver, Mk3 GL, Mk4 GT TDI, Mk6 TDI (and a Mk2 Scirocco 20 years ago)

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #11 on: 07 August 2013, 08:39 »
I never understood the rear camera thing either (apart from it looking kind of cool, when the boot lid badge opens). The sensors and direct vision are so easy to use; nice to have, but certainly not a dealbreaker.

I wonder how many people would say "sod the camera" if VW upfront said it added a blanket 6 or 8 weeks onto your order. Without knowing the ins and outs of of everyones allocation queue place, i'd bet there are people here that aren't yet confirmed that would've otherwise be confirmed or even built by now. VW rear visibility is excellent anyway with a big window and easy to predict where the back of the car is (unlike my Scirocco with it's tiny and raked rear window), i'm not sure i'd even pay for parking sensors if they were optional.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline matchboy

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 07 August 2013, 09:21 »
i'm not sure i'd even pay for parking sensors if they were optional.

I wouldn't have paid for the sensors if they were an option.  Its a hatchback, not a tank, if you can't park it then find a bigger space or buy a smart car.

We don't know what the real reason is, but if I was in your boys shoes I'd of taken it off my order straight away.  Yes, it looks cool on the screen but after a month it'll become the norm.  And you can't see the camera pop out at the back as you're driving, so whatever!  Honestly, I would be feeling that its holding up my order and I'd get shot straight away.  If it was the PP or Nav then I'd wait, but for a camera gimmick?  No way - take it off!  Just my opinion of course.  :smiley:
Audi RS5 2018
Gone: BMW M4 LCI Competition Package
Previous: Mk 3 Audi TTS, Porsche 981 Cayman S, Mk 7 Golf R, Mk 7 GTI, Mk 6 GTI, Mk 5 GTI and so on....

Offline Hawaii-Five-O

• I live here
  • Are we nearly there yet?
« Reply #13 on: 07 August 2013, 09:26 »
I wouldn't have paid for the sensors if they were an option.  Its a hatchback, not a tank, if you can't park it then find a bigger space or buy a smart car.

We don't know what the real reason is, but if I was in your boys shoes I'd of taken it off my order straight away.  Yes, it looks cool on the screen but after a month it'll become the norm.  And you can't see the camera pop out at the back as you're driving, so whatever!  Honestly, I would be feeling that its holding up my order and I'd get shot straight away.  If it was the PP or Nav then I'd wait, but for a camera gimmick?  No way - take it off!  Just my opinion of course.  :smiley:

Couldn't agree more. But then its not me its affecting :wink:
Madness to add 6-8 week delay. Bonkers!
Current: BMW M140i / ZF8 / 5 DR
Past: MK7 GTI / DSG / WHITE / 5 DR

Offline pauliem

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #14 on: 07 August 2013, 09:46 »
I'm glad I am not the only one wondering what the use of the camera is.  The rear sensors will do a decent job of helping you to park.

Are people planning on using it as a spy tool or something! I never had sensors or camera on my Scirocco and never had any issues parking it and the rear visibility is pretty shoddy.

Offline Poached

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 07 August 2013, 09:54 »
The GTI does have decent rear visibility.

My car has Parking sensors and Reverse camera and I would say the Reverse camera is more useful than the Parking sensors which can actually be a bit annoying at times.

It's not something I had on the check list when looking for the car but it is a nice gadget.

Offline Bill_the_Bear

• I live here
  • Yes! Wait a minute... No!
« Reply #16 on: 07 August 2013, 09:57 »
I picked it because it was cool and cheap.

Problem is without them saying to me (in writing, e.g. email) that removing it will bring me order forward and not push it back there is no way I'm going to go around speculatively removing things to see what happens.  For all we know trying to take the camera off now would bump you back to the bottom of the queue.

If they could actually provide some proper information it would be different.  That is going to be my focus today.  If they bump my BW back again then I'm not hanging up until they give me the exact reason why, or admit they are just bumping it back by a week each week because they don't know jack.  If its the second case then I want to know how many orders they received prior to mine and where I sit in the queue in relation to that number.

I don't have high hopes for answers but by making them go through the logic I'd like to get them to admit its unreasonable what they are telling us.

EDIT:
Oh and on the parking sensors... my wife has to park too.  And I would like my paint to remain unscratched.

Offline JohnP

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #17 on: 07 August 2013, 10:09 »
I'm with Bill on this. if I knew when the car will be built with the camera option on or off then I could make a decision but as it is I don't know whether it would be better or worse..... We NEED information VW!!

Offline Chief1337

• Here all the time
« Reply #18 on: 07 August 2013, 10:44 »
Exactly my thinking also Bill - I've specced the camera, but without an absolute guarantee that removing it will bring the order forward, I'm not making any changes.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #19 on: 07 August 2013, 13:31 »
Camera is less of a gimmick than keyless entry which serves no purpose at all in my eyes. Maybe if you have a few shopping bags but its not worth £300 odd quid. Anything that aids you parking your pride and joy can only be a help as more and more these days its getting harder and harder to park in these ever tightening car park spaces. Lighting in car parks is generally poor so the more you can visually see the better. The sensors only go part of the way to helping so having the camera in addition will only help. This is just my opinion of course.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.