Author Topic: GAP for GTI/GTD  (Read 10104 times)

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
Re: GAP for GTI/GTD
« Reply #40 on: 13 August 2013, 22:30 »
I think its a definite on a highly desirable car like the GTI.
It would at least help me sleep better at night  :grin:
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline Gryzor

• I live here
  • Go white, or go home!
« Reply #41 on: 13 August 2013, 22:53 »
Thanks Gryzor, think I know what my decision will be after reading that. Appreciate the help from you and also everyone else, I didn't realise there was different kinds of the GAP insurance either, so certainly opened my eyes and helped me make my decision. I thought I'd chance without it, but as the day slowly draws closer to me getting my car I've gradually got more nervous.... (Just in case the worst happened!)

Cheers mate, happy to help.  For what it costs over three years, even at £180 that's only £60 a year which isn't much in the grand scheme of things.  I hate the concept of "insuring my insurance"' but on a car this expensive and desirable, better to be safe than sorry.
Pure White Mk7 GTI (5dr, Manual)

Options: Reverse Camera, Keyless, Adaptive Chasis, Climate Screen, Winter Pack, Discover Nav, Advanced Phone Prep

Offline JonnyG

• I live here
« Reply #42 on: 14 August 2013, 19:56 »
Return to Invoice (RTI) is by far the most common form of GAP insurance these days, and it lets you decide the car and spec of your next motor.  Afterall you may want a different car altogether next  :grin:

One thing to be aware of is that most GAP insurance policies are invalidated if you mod the car at all (remaps etc).

Current : Seat Cupra Lux, DSG, Magnetic Grey, Sept 2019
Gone :    Golf Mk 7 R, 5dr DSG, Pure White, March 2017
Gone :    Golf Mk 7 R, 5dr DSG, Tornado Red, March 2015
Gone :    Audi RS3, Daytona Grey, 7sp S-Tronic, Sept 2012
Gone :    Golf R, Rising Blue, 5dr DSG Mar 2010
Gone :    Golf R32, DBP, 5dr, DSG, Nov 2008
Gone :    Golf GTi ED30, Mar 2007

Offline Bill_the_Bear

• I live here
  • Yes! Wait a minute... No!
« Reply #43 on: 15 August 2013, 01:16 »
Return to Invoice (RTI) is by far the most common form of GAP insurance these days, and it lets you decide the car and spec of your next motor.  Afterall you may want a different car altogether next  :grin:

One thing to be aware of is that most GAP insurance policies are invalidated if you mod the car at all (remaps etc).

Ah but if its pinched or written off how will they know you had an ECU remap? :evil:

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #44 on: 15 August 2013, 11:03 »
Ah but if its pinched or written off how will they know you had an ECU remap? :evil:

Because the bobbies couldn't catch it?  :laugh:
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline rick2b

• Not said much yet
« Reply #45 on: 15 August 2013, 22:16 »
Seriously think people should investigate properly as to whether they need any type of gap insurance.
Everybody buys under different circumstances, some do not require it and some do.
Buying a car outright does not require it and some finance agreements will include for shortfalls.
However if you owe more on what they car is worth or have it contract hire it is something to consider.
Do not buy it because the dealer says you need it, do not buy it because your insurance company say you need, it's their job to make money from you not to give you proper advice. Simply do the sums and look for independent advice that suits your buying situation.

But simply buying it to 'sleep easy' is exactly what the people that sell it want you to think !!
« Last Edit: 15 August 2013, 22:18 by rick2b »
Mk7 Golf GTD Oryx White 19''rims 3dr keyless

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #46 on: 15 August 2013, 23:04 »
Seriously think people should investigate properly as to whether they need any type of gap insurance.
Everybody buys under different circumstances, some do not require it and some do.
Buying a car outright does not require it and some finance agreements will include for shortfalls.
However if you owe more on what they car is worth or have it contract hire it is something to consider.
Do not buy it because the dealer says you need it, do not buy it because your insurance company say you need, it's their job to make money from you not to give you proper advice. Simply do the sums and look for independent advice that suits your buying situation.

But simply buying it to 'sleep easy' is exactly what the people that sell it want you to think !!

Don't buy it at full RRP from the dealer in any case. I wouldn't buy GAP on principle, but will accept a "free" policy from my dealer knowing full well that he wouldn't give me the cash equivalent instead.

Without GAP if I had a 2 year old car written off I would fight tooth and nail to get enough money from them to buy another 2 year old car of similar mileage and condition. That is the insurers obligation - never accept their first or even second offer - show then how much a suiable replacement car will cost and get them to pay up.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Bill_the_Bear

• I live here
  • Yes! Wait a minute... No!
« Reply #47 on: 16 August 2013, 00:08 »
A second hand car of identical spec and mileage (if you can even find such a thing) is not the same to me as my own car.  It may have the same monetary value but I don't want to be driving something I don't know the history of, that is why I bought a new car in the first place.

If my car is nicked or written off and it's close to new I don't want no sh!tty 75% value, nor do I want 100%!  What I want is whatever it will cost to get the same car brand new, a totally reasonable expectation.  Ok, so insurance companies are indistinguishable from Nigerian scammers... hence a second policy is needed to get this, but to my mind it has to be full replacement because who says I can negotiate the same deal I had before?

Offline matchboy

• I live here
« Reply #48 on: 16 August 2013, 09:04 »
I agree with Bear.  I don't want market value on my 2 year old car.  I want full whack.  Then I can go buy a different car!  :laugh:
Audi RS5 2018
Gone: BMW M4 LCI Competition Package
Previous: Mk 3 Audi TTS, Porsche 981 Cayman S, Mk 7 Golf R, Mk 7 GTI, Mk 6 GTI, Mk 5 GTI and so on....

Offline MM087

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #49 on: 19 August 2013, 18:51 »
Defo getting GAP on the GTD deal I am looking at.

Been told they offered a total protection package (Autoglym, Tyre & Alloy, GAP for £895) which was flatly refused.