Author Topic: Golf GTD discounts  (Read 9686 times)

Offline davyk31

• I live here
Golf GTD discounts
« on: 01 January 2014, 14:09 »
I'm coming back to the forum hopefully soon, owned a Mk V GTI in 2006 for a couple of years and loved it, now thinking of a new GTi or more likely a GTD.

On initial enquiries the waiting lists seem kinda long and off putting but is it a case of finding a dealer who has perhaps a build slot booked. I will be wanting a relatively basic spec car as this is a second car so no need to go mad.

Question mainly is about what discount levels can be expected on a 5 door GTi or GTD. Does the discount levels differ between the two models?
Mk 7.5 GTi Indium Grey with 19" Brescias

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
Re: Golf GTD discounts
« Reply #1 on: 01 January 2014, 14:22 »
More likely to get a better discount on a GTI than a GTD. Most people here with huge (11%) discount got it on cars (mainly GTIs) with plenty of optional equipment (more margin in a higher specced car, I presume). Discounts on vanilla spec cars seem significantly lower.

If you have nothing to part ex then broker route may be best to get a decent level of discount with or without options.

Don't expect mpg miracles, both models are barely more frugal than the MK6 equivalent 20% gains seem on the EU testing cycles are for the inclusion of stop-start tech and those testing conditions make big use of it in situations far removed from real driving conditions.

There is a dealer member on this forum that has access to a few "pipeline" cars, advertised at around full RRP though - you'd have to try some haggling with him.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Mark V GTD

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 01 January 2014, 15:29 »
As 'Monkeyhangar' says - if price is the key issue for you rather than waiting time - order through a broker such as Drive the Deal who will offer up to 12% off a GTD subject to options. If speed is your priority there are normally around a half dozen GTD in UK stock but you will be heard pressed to get much of a discount on them.
« Last Edit: 03 January 2014, 10:08 by Mark V GTD »

Offline davyk31

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 01 January 2014, 15:52 »
Thanks for the replies. Out of the three dealers I have spoken to have said a factory order is needed for a GTD, one quoted March, another April and one June. Someone must be exaggerating a bit I suspect. I do want a decent discount but waiting time is pretty important too, depends a bit on what I do with my current car, I may have someone keen to buy it now so if that works out I would want a new car pretty swift.

One dealer talked of them getting a GTD in 4 to 6 weeks, think they were saying it would be a demo but not sure if they can then change that to make it a car they can sell or are they obligated to keep it for a demo? I'm a little unsure as to how VW UK work on this.

Offline Skinnee D

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 01 January 2014, 15:52 »
As Momkeyhangar says - if price is the key issue for you rather than waiting time - order through a broker such as Drive the Deal who will offer up to 12% off a GTD subject to options. If speed is your priority there are normally around a half dozen GTD in UK stock but you will be heard pressed to get much of a discount on them.
I used carwow and got a good deal from a dealer only 90 miles away.  Even got extra discount for self collection.
GTD + 3 pedals :-)

Offline C2K

• Here all the time
  • Northern Monkey
« Reply #5 on: 02 January 2014, 16:26 »
Would just say talk to your dealers.  I got an excellent deal on my doorstep (better than car wow) with peterborough vw with only marginal effort,  they were very accommodating. I compared with the next closest,  plus the one by my family in Preston and went back to the first place I tried. 

The other two were national chains which weren't very helpful.
5 Door Night Blue GTD
Dynaudio, 19" Santiago Alloys, Adaptive Chassis, Leather Pack, Winter Pack, Reverse Camera.

Bianca White 306 Rallye (Supercharged + Caged) : Melting Silver F54 Mini Clubman Cooper S

Offline davyk31

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 02 January 2014, 22:05 »
Availability of cars is the biggest issue, nearly all dealers say a factory order is needed and have quoted anything from March to June for this. Surely a fresh factory order should be the same timescale from whichever dealer, guess some will exaggerate to get the sale which is what I want to be aware of.

Offline Skinnee D

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 03 January 2014, 07:25 »
Would just say talk to your dealers.  I got an excellent deal on my doorstep (better than car wow) with peterborough vw with only marginal effort,  they were very accommodating. I compared with the next closest,  plus the one by my family in Preston and went back to the first place I tried. 

The other two were national chains which weren't very helpful.
You did well.  All the dealers I spoke to were "list price or get lost..."; carwow worked out around 12% overall in the end, very happy with that.
GTD + 3 pedals :-)

Offline C2K

• Here all the time
  • Northern Monkey
« Reply #8 on: 03 January 2014, 08:06 »
Didn't think car wow went that high,  recall it being circa 9 percent. I didn't really need to try too hard even being aware of that, (plus it is like 2 miles from my house)   but it also depends on the number of cars they sold and obviously how many options you tick.   Preston gave me a pretty crap price,  even with the threat of signing up there and then,  then called me back two days later with a way better deal than they previously offered,  so I asked why and they just said their quota was down for the month. It was somewhere near  as good as the deal I actually got,  as in a few hundred.

Both the chains gave  me all the 6 month lead time,  no discounts because selling well, none available etc.  Huntingdon were not very helpful at al,   some smarmy spotted oik with an ipad waffling on about strong sale,   long lead times,  no need to discount etc.  One look at the shiny new dealership,  and circa 400k of vehicles in the showroom with 20 staff told me I wasnt getting a good price before walking in...

Vw in peterborough were fairly helpful from the off,  bringing a demo back to the dealers from fleet duty to drive when nobody had one,  then pretty much offering a good discount to start with which I beat down further. Family run dealer so were pretty keen to sell vehicles it seems.
« Last Edit: 03 January 2014, 08:14 by C2K »
5 Door Night Blue GTD
Dynaudio, 19" Santiago Alloys, Adaptive Chassis, Leather Pack, Winter Pack, Reverse Camera.

Bianca White 306 Rallye (Supercharged + Caged) : Melting Silver F54 Mini Clubman Cooper S

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 03 January 2014, 08:13 »
Best carwow price i've seen on a vanilla spec GTD was £23710 - been looking for a mate in the last few days.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.