Author Topic: Golf GTD exhaust  (Read 14450 times)

Offline corgi

• I live here
Re: Golf GTD exhaust
« Reply #10 on: 17 September 2013, 16:31 »
I doubt that the reason is technical.

I am not aware of a technical reason why you would want a twin exhaust on an in-line 4... either petrol or diesel...

There is no technical reason why the GTI has to have a pair of split pipes... equally, I don't believe there is a technical reason why the GTD couldn't have this arrangement.

I'm not sure I care either way, to be honest, its not like one arrangement will generate more power than the other...

Its all for looks... and they're subjective...

VW has taken the view that it wanted to provide some differentiation between GTI and GTD from the rear (aside from the badges, if they're there)....

My "other" car has twin exhausts because it needs them...  :smiley:

Carbon Grey Metallic, GTD 3 Door Manual, Dynaudio and Advanced Phone Prep
In the Garage: 2010 Jaguar XKR 5.0 Supercharged Convertible replaced 2004 911 (996) Carrera 4S Cabriolet (15/3/15)

Offline Valenni

• Here all the time
« Reply #11 on: 17 September 2013, 23:37 »
I doubt that the reason is technical.

I am not aware of a technical reason why you would want a twin exhaust on an in-line 4... either petrol or diesel...

There is no technical reason why the GTI has to have a pair of split pipes... equally, I don't believe there is a technical reason why the GTD couldn't have this arrangement.

I'm not sure I care either way, to be honest, its not like one arrangement will generate more power than the other...

Its all for looks... and they're subjective...

VW has taken the view that it wanted to provide some differentiation between GTI and GTD from the rear (aside from the badges, if they're there)....

My "other" car has twin exhausts because it needs them...  :smiley:

I suppose we won't know either way unless you know for sure? When I say technical reasons, I really mean cost reasons. But who knows. B-)
Proud owner of a Pure white Golf GTD  - Adaptive Chassis Control - Panoramic sunroof - Dynaudio sound pack.

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 18 September 2013, 07:53 »
If it's what you really want, they why not but a GTI back box and rear diffuser from the dealers. Not saying it would be particularly cheap, but it's OEM and it's what the MK5 boys did to their GT TDi's before the 170 Diesel came along with the twin pipes already on ?

All you would need is a small reducer between the main pipes and the GTI back box (think from memory the GTD's main pipe is 2mm smaller than the GTI's), but any competent exhaust centre could supply and fit that for you - no need to go after market.
« Last Edit: 18 September 2013, 07:55 by Norbreck21a »
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline Valenni

• Here all the time
« Reply #13 on: 18 September 2013, 09:00 »
If it's what you really want, they why not but a GTI back box and rear diffuser from the dealers. Not saying it would be particularly cheap, but it's OEM and it's what the MK5 boys did to their GT TDi's before the 170 Diesel came along with the twin pipes already on ?

All you would need is a small reducer between the main pipes and the GTI back box (think from memory the GTD's main pipe is 2mm smaller than the GTI's), but any competent exhaust centre could supply and fit that for you - no need to go after market.

I suppose so, but I personally don't mind. I used to be into modding cars, but now I could not be bothered. I think VW have made a beautiful look machine in both the GTI and GTD. It would be a shame to start cutting and adding things.
Proud owner of a Pure white Golf GTD  - Adaptive Chassis Control - Panoramic sunroof - Dynaudio sound pack.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #14 on: 18 September 2013, 09:13 »
You need some feature to dustinguish the GTI from the GTD and its really only the split exhaust that does this

Well that's a bit stupid considering GTD owners pay just about as much for their cars. Oh well, I will just have to get a custom job done. Thank you both

How exactly is it stupid? Sorry, the GTI is the hot hatch out of the two hence it has a slight more aggressive stance, ie split exhaust

The two cars may be roughly the same book value but over the ownership it will cost us GTI owners far more than the GTD guys

Craig, that sort of statement makes you appear to want your wheelbarrow handle exhausts to be some sort of display of how much money you are spending.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline CraigW

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 18 September 2013, 14:00 »
You need some feature to dustinguish the GTI from the GTD and its really only the split exhaust that does this

Well that's a bit stupid considering GTD owners pay just about as much for their cars. Oh well, I will just have to get a custom job done. Thank you both

How exactly is it stupid? Sorry, the GTI is the hot hatch out of the two hence it has a slight more aggressive stance, ie split exhaust

The two cars may be roughly the same book value but over the ownership it will cost us GTI owners far more than the GTD guys

Craig, that sort of statement makes you appear to want your wheelbarrow handle exhausts to be some sort of display of how much money you are spending.

I was merely responding to the point that was raised about the value of the cars. At the end of the day the GTI is the flagship model in the golf range (forget about the R because thats a recent addition) and deserves to stand out from the crowd. The only way it really achieves this compared to the GTD is with the split exhaust. The split exhaust imo signifies that its a car tended for performance and gives it an aggresive stance over the GTD and rightly so!

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #16 on: 18 September 2013, 23:51 »

I was merely responding to the point that was raised about the value of the cars. At the end of the day the GTI is the flagship model in the golf range (forget about the R because thats a recent addition) and deserves to stand out from the crowd. The only way it really achieves this compared to the GTD is with the split exhaust. The split exhaust imo signifies that its a car tended for performance and gives it an aggresive stance over the GTD and rightly so!

sorry but I think your totally wrong. absolutely no difference in the gti to gtd in aggressive looks department. they look identical in every way (gtd has better looking alloys but that's only my opinion). front and side they are identical and to be honest I like the twin exhausts better than the split ones. thing is though buying cars is totally subjective to each individual so nothing is right or wrong  :tongue:
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline CraigW

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 19 September 2013, 07:53 »

sorry but I think your totally wrong. absolutely no difference in the gti to gtd in aggressive looks department. they look identical in every way (gtd has better looking alloys but that's only my opinion). front and side they are identical and to be honest I like the twin exhausts better than the split ones. thing is though buying cars is totally subjective to each individual so nothing is right or wrong  :tongue:

Well your entitled to your opinion mate. The point is they should be different, one is a hot hatch and the other quite simply isn't. Again, difference of opinion but I much prefer the split exhaust, gives a nice balanced look at the back. It also looks more aggressive

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #18 on: 19 September 2013, 08:17 »
Why can't people delete the unnecessary posts out of the "quote" to save us having to see it over and over again?

Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline CraigW

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 19 September 2013, 08:22 »
Why can't people delete the unnecessary posts out of the "quote" to save us having to see it over and over again?

It's not so easy on a mobile phone