Author Topic: GTD - Standard or performance diesel??  (Read 19640 times)

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
Re: GTD - Standard or performance diesel??
« Reply #10 on: 11 July 2013, 22:45 »
Ok, lets get rid of some smoke and mirrors. It's the FUEL SYSTEM that issues are caused through. This is normally to do with progressively higher combustion pressures that are being used to get diesels through tighter and tighter emissions legislations. EURO 6 being most recent, at which point injection systems are heading towards 6000BAR injection pressure. PD engines (early years up to 05) were ok with lower concentrations, higher spec ones  mk5 140pd etc didn't like it so much because of the below.

The Bio-diesel content of it corrodes the rubber components (Seals etc) in the high pressure side especially. Viton is the usual replacement as Nitrile just doesn't cut it. OEM's normally guarantee their fuel system to 10% biodiesel content, and it is the manufacturers choice what they warranty up to which is usually lower. I used to be employed by a tier 1 OEM diesel fuel system supplier hence how I know this.

It does have a different profile chemically, but whilst employed by them I never ONCE heard of it being an issue with the DPF. That's not to say it doesn't mess around with it, but generally it presents as running rough or missing (cold start predominantly due to waxing temp).

I agree with almost everything you said - biodiesel rots rubber and there are rubber components in the VAG system that VAG don't seem to want to get rid of, even though they could.

Also though, biodiesel has a higher auto-ignition point which poses no issues via normal engine ignition, but could cause issue with DPF regeneration when a forced regen is initiated with the attempted ignition of fuel in the exhaust/DPF system. Germany are big on biodiesel content, they are pushing for higher coontents - VAG TDIs have to be a bit selective on where they fill up in Germany because of this.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline ajmoir36

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 11 July 2013, 22:57 »
I recently got 73mpg on morrisons diesel in my gtd.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
On Order: Mk8 R, Pure White, Reversing Camera, Harmon Kardon, Heated seats all round.
Gone: Mk7.5 R, 5dr, DSG, Deep Pearl Black, 18” Cadiz, Nav, Winter Pack, Keyless, Dynaudio and Reversing camera.
Gone: Mk7 R, 5dr, DSG, Limestone Grey, 19" Pretoria's, Nav Pro, DCC, Winter Pack, Keyless, Mobile Prep and Reversing Camera.
Gone: Mk6 GTD, 5dr, Manual, Tornado Red, 18" Vancouvers, RCD510 + Dynaudio, heated seats.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 11 July 2013, 23:10 »

"more reasons to shop at morissons". My TDIs have all preferred Shell and BP to anything else with noticeable economy increases.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 11 July 2013, 23:12 »

were you driving down hill at the time?  :grin: :grin:
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline OF1

• Not said much yet
« Reply #14 on: 12 July 2013, 08:39 »

were you driving down hill at the time?  :grin: :grin:

He was driving down hill..With the engine actually turned off!  :grin:
Currently Driving: Mini Cooper SD | Chilli Red | Black Roof | Often mistaken for my girlfriend's car..

Cancelled Order: Golf GTD Manual 3 Door | Pure White | Leather | Dynaudio | Reversing Camera | Service Pack

Offline Hawaii-Five-O

• I live here
  • Are we nearly there yet?
« Reply #15 on: 12 July 2013, 09:24 »
I still don't fully understand why Morrisons add bio-diesel additive to their product? Surely that's an additional cost to them post production.

Their basic, refined diesel will be bought wholesale on the open markets and then they add additives to make the product sh*te? Doesn't make sense.

Why would Morrisons want to alienate Volkswagen TDI drivers (or any high psi diesels cars)? VW are one of the biggest car manufactures in the world, it would be business suicide to turn your back on millions of customers.
Current: BMW M140i / ZF8 / 5 DR
Past: MK7 GTI / DSG / WHITE / 5 DR

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #16 on: 12 July 2013, 09:37 »
Thing is how many people actually know about the possible damage it can cause.....99% of the public live in ignorance and most owners have the car for just the 3 years and change it again so have no real interest in what fuel they are putting in

Its the 2nd hand market where it will have the biggest impact as those people will be footing the bill

I always avoid any form of supermarket fuel. My car feels noticeably different and produces more smoke on the stuff

Offline Agreeable Slick

• Global Moderator
  • Serious forum addict
  • Unit
« Reply #17 on: 12 July 2013, 13:10 »
The fuel isn't actually shyte. It depends on the demographic you aim for. Plus it can (car dependant) help you squeeze a few more MPG out, which is nice for Fleet car drivers (large portion of business for Morrisons et al no doubt)

Most cars on todays roads are an average age of at least ~7 years old? (guesstimate) in which case most will never know of or see any issue with filling up with diesel bio content or not.

Lets not forget, what is THE driving factor in where people fill up their cars now-a-days? Price. Nothing else. It's the reason the VOSA people have been cracking down on fuel testing by the side of the road as well, as Red agri diesel is getting used more and more.

I will freely admit to hitting up morrisons with the passat if the price is right but I don't have as much to worry about as mine is a 130pd so not as many injector issues. I do however flush through with a tank or two of shell every so often and a millers additive to help keep things healthy (well as healthy as a big lump of pig iron can be).

Offline Gordor

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #18 on: 12 July 2013, 20:58 »
Ummm...confused  :huh: are you saying no to Morrisons?
GTD Pure White : 19" Santiago's : Winter Pack : Dynaudio : Park Assist : High Beam Assist

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #19 on: 12 July 2013, 21:12 »
Ummm...confused  :huh: are you saying no to Morrisons?

I say NO to all supermaket fuels  :grin:

I refuse to tarnish my fuel system with anything from the supermarkets; thats just my opinion and going by how my past two cars have responded (or not) to the stuff  :smiley: