Author Topic: Confused  (Read 2010 times)

Offline stealthwolf

• I live here
Confused
« on: 03 October 2008, 13:36 »
Okay I know something about detail (more than the average person but a lot less than any detailer).

I was saving up to give my car a proper, thorough detail at one point in the coming weeks. My planned routine would have been:

Pre-wash rinse
Wash wheels + arches
Megs APC on alloys + scrub + rinse
Shampoo wash entire car
Rinse
Pat dry
Clay car incl alloys
Polish w/ polisher (hopefully G220 if the group buy happens)
>Not sure about sealants
Wax car + alloys
Tyre dressing

But I've come across:

- glazes
 - paint cleaners

What are these things? Would I use them?  I've learnt how you can't just mix and match any products, so how would I know what would go with what?

When I first started, I knew nothing. Then I did some reading and I thought I knew enough. Then I started going over to detailingworld and I 'm now confused and back to square one. Help!

Offline 182_blue

• I live here
Re: Confused
« Reply #1 on: 04 October 2008, 10:51 »
paint cleaners are basically just a polish, they can have abrasive in it or they just work chemically , they are used after the claying and before any wax or glaze, if your using a machine polisher with a polish it would take the place of a paint cleaner (something like menzerna IP polish) a glaze is known as a few things, which glaze you thinking, most glazes are very very fine polishes that finish a polishing job just before you protect with a sealant then a wax  (or whichever final finish product you choose)

which products do you have, or are considering

Offline stealthwolf

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 04 October 2008, 20:41 »
Considering:

- polish: PBs SSR, or AG SRP
 - glaze: everyone seems to love DJ Black Hole, not too sure though
 - sealant: No idea, though have heard about PBs EX-P sealant
 - wax: was going for collinite 476s

But still reading and now everyone seems to be raving on about Zaino, which just confuses me even more. Sometimes too mcuh choice is a bad thing.
« Last Edit: 04 October 2008, 23:58 by stealthwolf »

Offline Conker

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 04 October 2008, 22:41 »
I've read that glazes are "supposed" to contain nourishing oils (for example) that help give depth to the paint which is then sealed in by the top layers of wax or sealent.

Sounds to me like its something for the perfectionists i.e. I doubt you'd notice much real world difference. 

Offline Steve_PD

• Serious forum addict
  • Cruising around in a Land Cruiser
« Reply #4 on: 04 October 2008, 23:50 »
Considering:

- polish: PBs SSR, or AG SRP
 - glaze: everyone seems to love DJ Purple Haze, not too sure though
 - sealant: No idea, though have heard about PBs EX-P sealant
 - wax: was going for collinite 476s

But still reading and now everyone seems to be raving on about Zaino, which just confuses me even more. Sometimes too much choice is a bad thing.

Pretty sure that dodo juice purple haze is a wax and something like PB's Black Hole is a glaze  :undecided:
I often wonder why people never expect sarcastic comments from me - they're the only reason I speak...

Offline stealthwolf

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 04 October 2008, 23:58 »
Pretty sure that dodo juice purple haze is a wax and something like PB's Black Hole is a glaze  :undecided:

Lol you're right. Edited.

Offline stealthwolf

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 05 October 2008, 12:11 »
Well I just bought some stuff last night (around 2am!) on a spending spree:

-Dodo Juice - Born to be Mild Shampoo
-Poorboy's Wheel Sealant
-Chemical Guys - Miracle Dryer
-Handi-Grip Foam Applicator
-Collinite #476s Paste Wax Detailing Kit
-Eurow 100% Sheepskin Wash Mitt

I already have stuff like clay, tyre gel and a few other things. Will be interesting to see how the wax turns out.

I also have AG's Super resin polish, Ultra Deep Shine, and Extra Gloss protection knocking about. Bought UDS in error so now I have two polishes. Which would be better?

Is there any issue with using EGP before sticking on the collinite?

Offline AnniversaryWul

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 05 October 2008, 12:47 »
Using that combo was quite good. Gave me good results using megs clay, ultra deep shine, extra gloss protection the collinite 915. Have been told uds is better on a darker car than super res, but never used super res. I was happy with the results tho

Offline stealthwolf

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 05 October 2008, 13:25 »
When the group buy on the G220 comes to fruition, I'll try the UDS with EGP and collinite.

Will see how it goes.