Author Topic: GTD Sound Actuator  (Read 83197 times)

Offline stuart.cameron

• GTI forum regular
Re: GTD Sound Actuator
« Reply #120 on: 03 February 2014, 14:34 »
In sport my BW51 without the sport and sound package definitely has a sound actuator!
Current // Golf GTD 3dr DSG - Carbon Grey | Discovery Nav Pro, Keyless Entry, Park Assist, Reverse Camera, Winter Pack
Previous // Polo GTI 6r - Black | Xenons, MFSW, Winter Pack, Sensor Pack, Convenience Pack, Climate Control, RNS 510 w/Bluetooth

Offline CR4ZYHOR5E

• Not said much yet
« Reply #121 on: 03 February 2014, 14:52 »
Nice one, thanks Stuart and Corgi.

Offline AdmiralGant

• Not said much yet
« Reply #122 on: 03 February 2014, 20:47 »
Can also confirm, my one was build week 50ish, I did not add the sport & sound pack but it definitely has the sound actuator - it sounds great inside the car in sport mode!
Fleet

On Order - BMW 330d M Sport with M Sport Plus pack, voodoo lights, adaptive cruise, dampers - Battleship

Decommissioned 20/1/16 - GTD Mk 7 DSG 5dr Carbon Grey, ACC, Winter Pack, Class - Pocket Battleship (Flagship) - commissioned 21/1/14

Seat Ibiza FR TDI 130, Flame Red, Class - Frigate - commissioned 01/09/07

Suzuki Jimny 1.3 JLX+, quasar grey, Class - destroyer - commissioned 30/11/08

Suzuki Bandit 650, red, Class - covette - commissioned 01/09/05

Offline corgi

• I live here
« Reply #123 on: 03 February 2014, 23:13 »
Can also confirm, my one was build week 50ish, I did not add the sport & sound pack but it definitely has the sound actuator - it sounds great inside the car in sport mode!

Qu

I think it sounds artificial... Why spend millions in R&D to reduce NVH and then spend a tenner to add it back in?

Carbon Grey Metallic, GTD 3 Door Manual, Dynaudio and Advanced Phone Prep
In the Garage: 2010 Jaguar XKR 5.0 Supercharged Convertible replaced 2004 911 (996) Carrera 4S Cabriolet (15/3/15)

Offline mrluketee

• Not said much yet
« Reply #124 on: 04 February 2014, 08:10 »

Qu

I think it sounds artificial... Why spend millions in R&D to reduce NVH and then spend a tenner to add it back in?

Tend to agree with Corgi. I read a review that praised the car but said the sound actuator got a little annoying especially if you are trying to listen to the revs with a view to changing gears at the optimal time. I'll be disconnecting mine I think, not sure yet.
Standard GTD 3dr

Offline davyk31

• I live here
« Reply #125 on: 04 February 2014, 10:52 »
I'm pretty sure my car also has the sound actuator as it gets louder in sport mode. Not really sure I think much of the noise to be honest, just seems like a louder diesel engine noise. The pack that includes the different exhaust noises may be a lot better.

As regards noises I am also waiting for an Audi SQ5 which has the speaker in the exhaust, that does sound pretty exceptional!!
Mk 7.5 GTi Indium Grey with 19" Brescias

Offline corgi

• I live here
« Reply #126 on: 04 February 2014, 11:00 »
I have a Porsche 911 (996) with PSE (Porsche Sports Exhaust), it has no speaker in the exhaust and sounds excellent and makes a proper noise... It was designed that way.

Am I the only one who finds it ridiculous that car manufacturers are having to artificially generate noise to make their cars seem more interesting.

I want my golf to be quiet, its the car that I do the boring miles in when I can... but if I want the sportier throttle map then I have to put up with some pathetic artificial warbling...

If I want the Porsche to be quiet (and it is not often that I do) I can just turn the exhaust off, it makes it quieter but doesn't affect the performance in any way...

In the Garage: 2010 Jaguar XKR 5.0 Supercharged Convertible replaced 2004 911 (996) Carrera 4S Cabriolet (15/3/15)

Offline ffrank

• Here all the time
« Reply #127 on: 04 February 2014, 13:47 »
I have a Porsche 911 (996) with PSE (Porsche Sports Exhaust), it has no speaker in the exhaust and sounds excellent and makes a proper noise... It was designed that way.

Am I the only one who finds it ridiculous that car manufacturers are having to artificially generate noise to make their cars seem more interesting.

I want my golf to be quiet, its the car that I do the boring miles in when I can... but if I want the sportier throttle map then I have to put up with some pathetic artificial warbling...

If I want the Porsche to be quiet (and it is not often that I do) I can just turn the exhaust off, it makes it quieter but doesn't affect the performance in any way...
I know what you are saying, but if you didn't have the Porsche (and it's aural sporty delights), could you not imagine having a GTD and fancying a throatier exhaust?

It may be more than just an exhaust on the Golf, but I'm sure Porsche spent some time and money getting the right sound from the 996 too.

At the end of the day it's all about putting a smile on your face, I'm expecting the sound in my GTD to add some fun when I want it. If money was not an object I'd happily retire the Sports and Sound pack for a V8 Jag or Aston :)

Offline corgi

• I live here
« Reply #128 on: 04 February 2014, 13:55 »
I know what you are saying, but if you didn't have the Porsche (and it's aural sporty delights), could you not imagine having a GTD and fancying a throatier exhaust?

It may be more than just an exhaust on the Golf, but I'm sure Porsche spent some time and money getting the right sound from the 996 too.

At the end of the day it's all about putting a smile on your face, I'm expecting the sound in my GTD to add some fun when I want it. If money was not an object I'd happily retire the Sports and Sound pack for a V8 Jag or Aston :)

No doubt that Porsche invested in making sure the 996 sounded right - but it is a sports car... the Golf is, in reality, a sporty hatchback...

For you it may be all about putting a smile on your face, for me it is about getting to where I need to go quickly and quietly when I'm in the Golf.

Now, here's a thing... You could have a good 996 with PSE or a V8 (with an exhaust upgrade) Jag for an awful lot less than a the purchase price of a Golf GTI/D and still have huge amounts of money spare to run them... the smile on your face was the biggest driver on your car purchase... you wouldn't even consider a Golf...

Offline ffrank

• Here all the time
« Reply #129 on: 04 February 2014, 17:59 »

No doubt that Porsche invested in making sure the 996 sounded right - but it is a sports car... the Golf is, in reality, a sporty hatchback...

For you it may be all about putting a smile on your face, for me it is about getting to where I need to go quickly and quietly when I'm in the Golf.

Now, here's a thing... You could have a good 996 with PSE or a V8 (with an exhaust upgrade) Jag for an awful lot less than a the purchase price of a Golf GTI/D and still have huge amounts of money spare to run them... the smile on your face was the biggest driver on your car purchase... you wouldn't even consider a Golf...
The smile on my face is the biggest driver for my purchase. But currently there are many things required to put a smile on this face - practicality, running costs, professional image, reliability, personal appeal, technology, comfort and... a happy Wife... :)

I kind of feel it's a moot point, if we could get a better sporty experience elsewhere, if I'm buying a golf for a dozen other reasons, why not enjoy some extra fun with the exhaust note? After all, I'm not looking to make a 60bhp 1 litre sound like a Ferrari. The GTD is a sporty car as you have said, and I too will enjoy getting places quickly and quietly, but with an added exhaust rasp when I fancy it!

Edit- typo.
« Last Edit: 04 February 2014, 18:38 by ffrank »