Author Topic: Is this safe?  (Read 1287 times)

Offline BobbyT

• I live here
  • Housemusic aint for everybody,only the sexy people
Is this safe?
« on: 08 February 2006, 07:57 »
i have been having trouble with my head unit since i got my motor last year, i had a jvc camelion wich was out of my last car. now when i fitted it i also fitted some jvc 6 be 9's. Now when i turned up the vol the unit would just cut out, also it wouldnt play cd's, just kept turning on and off! i decided to rule out the power source and earth by running a new power feed from the bat straight to the head unit (i have fitted an inline fuse near the bat terminal) and the the earth straight to the neg on the bat too! it played cd's ok but still cut out! i have now bought a new sony head unit to see if its a problem with the jvc unit! now is this a safe set up to have, running straight from the battery?  :smiley:
BW3 2018... 7.5 Oryx White R Estate, Black mirrors and rails, Dynaudio, Rear Cam, Climate Screen, 90% tints

Offline vr4000d

• GTI forum regular
Re: Is this safe?
« Reply #1 on: 08 February 2006, 10:29 »
as long as its fused it wont hurt:)

Offline Bazzer

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 08 February 2006, 10:35 »
tbh you're better off running the earth to the bodywork, not the battery terminal...

Bazzer

Offline j_s

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 08 February 2006, 11:37 »
Perfectly safe to run a direct power feed from the battery mate. in fact with some of the power headunits need now it is best practice to  :smiley:
As for the earth, as long as the cable is of sufficient size it can be run direct to the battery and is as good (sometimes better) than using the bodywork.
James

Offline jasonpi

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 08 February 2006, 19:49 »
had the same problem mate tends to be the earth wire or in some cases the speaker wire shorting out on summin hope this helps and if it does all donations to me me me :grin:
J.S putting the earth to the battery imo would harm it surely as batteries fluxtuate?(<if thats how its spelt) as constant drains on alternator battery etcc etc earthing it to the bodywork gives it an uniterruptable groun unless lightining strike it then ur screwed

Offline vr4000d

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 08 February 2006, 21:40 »
 :laugh:

the voltage fluctuates anywhere in electrical system having the earth on body/battery will make no difference.

and if you look at specs of ice equipment you will notice they have a range i.e 11-15volts in which they will be fine to allow for any alterations in power supply:)

like they said if you have decent cable then keep your earth as it is:)