Author Topic: MK8 GTI Grinding Noise from Right Driver Side  (Read 3637 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: MK8 GTI Grinding Noise from Right Driver Side
« Reply #10 on: 26 June 2023, 15:44 »
Thats very interesting...

I've just got back from a trip out and it was doing it a fair bit.

Is the ABS unit somewhere right front? Is that what I hear? It can't be just braking the right front can it?

Do you find its only doing it when you are driving calm and slow? I've never heard it do it when I'm on it... (observing the speed limits at all times, naturally)
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Carlosfandango

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #11 on: 26 June 2023, 21:52 »

Is the ABS unit somewhere right front? Is that what I hear? It can't be just braking the right front can it?

Do you find its only doing it when you are driving calm and slow? I've never heard it do it when I'm on it... (observing the speed limits at all times, naturally)

I’ve only ever noticed it in mine while driving normally, it may well do it at other times but I’ve not noticed it do so, it just seems to do it on the same two (consecutive) left hand bends at around 45-50mph.
Current car -
Mk8 GTI DSG, Kings Red, Pan Roof, Extended Winter Pack, Rear Camera, DCC, Adelaide Reps (CMWheels), Eibach Pro-Kit Springs.

Gone -
2020 BMW M135i xDrive, Storm Bay Metallic, Pan roof, Tech pack, Pro pack, Comfort pack,
👇see it here👇
https://youtu.be/j-4x9ZxehWU

Offline mcchan723

• Just got here
« Reply #12 on: 28 June 2023, 16:40 »

I’ve only ever noticed it in mine while driving normally, it may well do it at other times but I’ve not noticed it do so, it just seems to do it on the same two (consecutive) left hand bends at around 45-50mph.

Have you tried to turn off ESC as well?

Offline Carlosfandango

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #13 on: 29 June 2023, 21:46 »

Have you tried to turn off ESC as well?

I haven’t had chance yet, but I do intend to try it, will post back here once I’ve done so.
Current car -
Mk8 GTI DSG, Kings Red, Pan Roof, Extended Winter Pack, Rear Camera, DCC, Adelaide Reps (CMWheels), Eibach Pro-Kit Springs.

Gone -
2020 BMW M135i xDrive, Storm Bay Metallic, Pan roof, Tech pack, Pro pack, Comfort pack,
👇see it here👇

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #14 on: 30 June 2023, 09:37 »
So while the noise is annoying, its clearly part of ESC and is just a function of the car.

I'm not terribly keen on turning that off because a) I'm not on a track b) I don't want to die.

I'm happy its not a fault and can just disregard the noise now...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline Carlosfandango

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #15 on: 01 July 2023, 07:43 »
So while the noise is annoying, its clearly part of ESC and is just a function of the car.

I'm not terribly keen on turning that off because a) I'm not on a track b) I don't want to die.

I'm happy its not a fault and can just disregard the noise now...

Agreed, I’ve always disregarded the noise anyway, as to me it was always the ABS system working in some way, i’ve now had time to try it out, and I’ve not been able to replicate the noise while the ESC is turned off, so as far as I’m concerned, that confirms it.
Current car -

Gone -
👇see it here👇

Offline Carlosfandango

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #16 on: 07 October 2023, 10:39 »
Just to add to this, I had the software updated to 1941 by the dealer a couple of weeks ago, this noise has not occurred since then.
Current car -

Gone -
👇see it here👇

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #17 on: 09 October 2023, 12:15 »
Thats weird. I have no idea why a 5F controller (infotainment) upgrade will fix that... unless with the 5F you also got some other modules updated...

I'm getting a new 5F later this month, maybe its going to have newer software too...

Offline Carlosfandango

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #18 on: 09 October 2023, 19:33 »
Thats weird. I have no idea why a 5F controller (infotainment) upgrade will fix that... unless with the 5F you also got some other modules updated...

I'm getting a new 5F later this month, maybe its going to have newer software too...

I spoke too soon! It did it again today, as you say, it would have been rather weird if it the 5F update had actually effected it.
Current car -

Gone -
👇see it here👇