Author Topic: What detailing have you done today?  (Read 529412 times)

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Re: What detailing have you done today?
« Reply #380 on: 16 March 2016, 17:08 »
^^^

I really love that SRGTD!! (and of course you can post pics of a Polo GTI).  It's a proper hot hatch unlike the warm-ish Golf performance models with their ever expanding waistlines.  :laugh:

You've done a fantastic detailing job on it.  Looks stunning.  :cool: :cool: :cool:  And soem great choices with the Black Hole and Collinite wax.

Don't be a stranger to the forum and the detailing section - pop in and see us when you can, preferably with some more lovely pics of this little beauty.   :smiley:

Btw, gorgeous colour!
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #381 on: 16 March 2016, 17:15 »
^^^

I really love that SRGTD!! (and of course you can post pics of a Polo GTI).  It's a proper hot hatch unlike the warm-ish Golf performance models with their ever expanding waistlines.  :laugh:

You've done a fantastic detailing job on it.  Looks stunning.  :cool: :cool: :cool:  And soem great choices with the Black Hole and Collinite wax.

Don't be a stranger to the forum and the detailing section - pop in and see us when you can, preferably with some more lovely pics of this little beauty.   :smiley:

Btw, gorgeous colour!

Thanks Rebecca. Does that mean I've converted you to liking blue?
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #382 on: 16 March 2016, 18:06 »
^^^

Btw, gorgeous colour!

Thanks Rebecca. Does that mean I've converted you to liking blue?

Nearly, lol.  I do like that blue a lot, looks so good on the Polo.  I don't dislike blue cars but I'm not sure I could have one.....don't know why really.  :undecided:  But I much prefer this kind of blue, Lapiz and the mk6 Rising Blue to the darker night blues.

I forgot to ask the obvious question.........looks aside, how do you like the Polo GTI?
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline mwad gti

• Here all the time
« Reply #383 on: 16 March 2016, 19:57 »
Hope it's OK with Rebecca as Moderator of the Detailing section that I post the detailing I done on my car over the last couple of days, because.....................it's not a Golf :shocked:, but it is a GTI, and a VW.

This is what I've replaced my mk6 GTD with. I picked it up on 1st March and I'm lovin' it!  :smiley:. The dealer had done an OK-ish job of prepping it but it wasn't brilliant; quite a bit of glue residue in places, swirls on the black plastic B pillars and black trim on the tailgate roof spoiler. As the Weather's been good this week, I decided the time was right to get it up to standard.

So, after, washing, decontaminating, washing and drying, applying Lime Prime with my DA, a layer of Black Hole glaze, a layer of Collinite 845 wax (another layer to be added next week), Gtechniq C5 on the wheels, Windows cleaned with Autoglym Fast Glass and tyres and black plastic trim dressed with FinishKare Top Kote Dressing, it looks like this (sorry, no 'before' pictures);

This is a great forum, and I've really enjoyed the friendly banter over the past (nearly) 5 years that I've been a member. I'll still pop in from time to time and say 'hi'.  :smiley:

That's looks stunning
Candy White 3 dr Manual 2012 GTi. Bought new.
DAB, Dynaudio, Kenwood Head Unit Upgrade, Private Plate,
Full Leather and Heated Seats
18" Shadow Monzas, luxury pack.
Colour coded side skirts and gloss black diffuser.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #384 on: 16 March 2016, 20:03 »
SRGTD, I'm not a fan of the Polo generally, normally looks awkward like a bigger car compressed. But actually, that looks great! Beautifully detailed and that blue is superb, love it! Please do keep the pictures coming!
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline mwad gti

• Here all the time
« Reply #385 on: 16 March 2016, 20:53 »
SRGTD, I'm not a fan of the Polo generally, normally looks awkward like a bigger car compressed. But actually, that looks great! Beautifully detailed and that blue is superb, love it! Please do keep the pictures coming!
Completely agree
Candy White 3 dr Manual 2012 GTi. Bought new.
DAB, Dynaudio, Kenwood Head Unit Upgrade, Private Plate,
Full Leather and Heated Seats
18" Shadow Monzas, luxury pack.
Colour coded side skirts and gloss black diffuser.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #386 on: 16 March 2016, 22:37 »
Thanks mwad gti and Watts for the comments. Next time I clean it, I post up some pics of the interior.

I forgot to ask the obvious question.........looks aside, how do you like the Polo GTI?

I'm really enjoying it. It's the first petrol car I've had since 2002. The interior feels a bit like an updated, slightly shrunken version of the mk6 Golf; not quite up to mk7 Golf standards but still a nice place to be. There are one or two little things that are a step down in terms of Golf quality; the interior of the glovebox and the door pockets are hard plastic and not lined like they are in the Golf, but it still feels quite refined and grown up for a small car. It also fits my standard sized single garage with room to spare - I always had to be a bit careful with the Golf as it was quite a squeeze.

I've got the optional Sports Performance Pack, which has a Normal and Sport setting. Normal is the default, and the ride in Normal is firmer than it was in my mk6 GTD but it's not uncomfortable. The Sport setting is very firm, so I doubt I'll use it much, and not when I've got passengers! I particularly like the standard LED headlights; they're brilliant (pardon the pun!). I had xenons on my mk6 GTD and I think the LED's on the Polo GTI are better. Economy wise; currently getting high 30's, but I'm expecting it to drop a little, when I start to drive it a bit more enthusiastically, once I get a few more miles on the clock.
Negatives;
- the boot is small - the battery is in the spare wheel well with the space saver on top, so the boot floor is always in the raised position. Not a big problem for me though, but could be if you regularly carry passengers with luggage.
- No Dynaudio option (had this in my GTD), so I'm getting used to the standard audio sound.

To put a detailing slant on things;
- There are just as many water traps as there are on the mk6 Golf (grilles, mirrors, tailgate release). I'm thankful I've got my Metro Vac Sidekick Blaster, which disperses them quickly.
- Rear wheelarch liners; these aren't the 'carpet' type liners but hard, shiny plastic like the front ones, so they're easy to clean! A big plus :smiley:
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
« Reply #387 on: 17 March 2016, 13:06 »
^ Agree with all of that, well apart from the mpg average  :tongue:

I have had mine since December. It's a proper shrunken Golf GTI this time. Just needs a bit more character.

But, er, this is about detailing so.... I put some AF tough coat on mine. No pics. Nothing to see here.
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #388 on: 17 March 2016, 13:49 »
Thanks mwad gti and Watts for the comments. Next time I clean it, I post up some pics of the interior.

I'm really enjoying it. It's the first petrol car I've had since 2002. The interior feels a bit like an updated, slightly shrunken version of the mk6 Golf; not quite up to mk7 Golf standards but still a nice place to be. There are one or two little things that are a step down in terms of Golf quality; the interior of the glovebox and the door pockets are hard plastic and not lined like they are in the Golf, but it still feels quite refined and grown up for a small car. It also fits my standard sized single garage with room to spare - I always had to be a bit careful with the Golf as it was quite a squeeze.

I've got the optional Sports Performance Pack, which has a Normal and Sport setting. Normal is the default, and the ride in Normal is firmer than it was in my mk6 GTD but it's not uncomfortable. The Sport setting is very firm, so I doubt I'll use it much, and not when I've got passengers! I particularly like the standard LED headlights; they're brilliant (pardon the pun!). I had xenons on my mk6 GTD and I think the LED's on the Polo GTI are better. Economy wise; currently getting high 30's, but I'm expecting it to drop a little, when I start to drive it a bit more enthusiastically, once I get a few more miles on the clock.
Negatives;
- the boot is small - the battery is in the spare wheel well with the space saver on top, so the boot floor is always in the raised position. Not a big problem for me though, but could be if you regularly carry passengers with luggage.
- No Dynaudio option (had this in my GTD), so I'm getting used to the standard audio sound.

To put a detailing slant on things;
- There are just as many water traps as there are on the mk6 Golf (grilles, mirrors, tailgate release). I'm thankful I've got my Metro Vac Sidekick Blaster, which disperses them quickly.
- Rear wheelarch liners; these aren't the 'carpet' type liners but hard, shiny plastic like the front ones, so they're easy to clean! A big plus :smiley:

Good to hear your thoughts on it. 

There's no escape from the lovely VW water traps - just on a slightly smaller scale. :angry: And I wish the Golf had the plastic rear arch liners (like at the front) - those carpet ones are just dirt magnets - there's no getting the muck off those!!!

It looks a lovely car and I hope you enjoy your ownership and it'll be looked after that's for sure.   :smiley:
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #389 on: 17 March 2016, 13:50 »

But, er, this is about detailing so.... I put some AF tough coat on mine. No pics. Nothing to see here.

Come on......you know the detailing section lives and dies on pics........ :whistle:
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual