Author Topic: ST X Coilovers - Suspension Review  (Read 937 times)

Offline Mickmk6

• Not said much yet
  • Mk7.5 PP 3Door Manual - Indium Grey
ST X Coilovers - Suspension Review
« on: 16 October 2021, 09:52 »
Thought I would do a review to help anyone in future considering suspension options.

I fitted ST X coilovers to my 2019 GTi PP 4 weeks ago now. In terms of fitting it’s pretty straight forward if you buy new top mounts and bearings and just make a full assembly. Saves on dissembling your front OEM suspension to scavenge the mounts from there.

So I did have the usual worry regarding coilovers. Last time I had some on a car was 5 years ago and it was a rough ride. Picked these due to cost / performance. With then being KW Variant 1 internals I thought it would be a good compromise.

Firstly; the ride. Hand on heart it’s honestly barely any different to the stock shocks. Maybe marginally firmer but no harsh at all, ride over bumps, drain covers and the odd pot hole you miss and these soak it up. Very impressed. If you want to keep the golfs comfort level whilst gaining improvement in handling these for me are a great option for the price.

Handling; the car already handles very well but for me it still had a bit of body roll that I wanted to get rid of. These help keep the car much flatter through the corners. Maybe an updated RARB would also help but the car feels much more planted to the road. On rough country roads (plenty of those up here in Northumberland) they are soaking up the punishment very well. The car doesn’t feel jittery or over excited which is something I’ve found cars on lowering springs to do. Just a solid ride that helps maintain confidence through the corners.

Ride Height: mine are wound down quite far with very little thread remaining on the front to lower further, the ride height is definitely not slammed. I don’t think these coilovers are right for anyone wanting to scrape their backside along the road. For me they give a perfect range for a fast road setup / whilst improving visuals.

Hope that helps give anyone a bit of feedback on these. I struggled to find much info to make the right choice.

-Photo taken during height adjusting:

Offline Paul70

• Here all the time
Re: ST X Coilovers - Suspension Review
« Reply #1 on: 16 October 2021, 11:21 »
Thanks for the update, it’s great to read reviews on modifications. Love the look of your car, you can’t beat a three door MK7 and the colour and wheel combination looks great. Did you stick with OEM top mounts or upgrade?
2016 MK7 Clubsport ED40 3 Door Manual Reflex Silver with Recaros
2013 MK7 GTI Black 5 Door (Non PP)
Long gone -1984 Helios Blue Campaign MK1 GTI

Offline Mickmk6

• Not said much yet
  • Mk7.5 PP 3Door Manual - Indium Grey
« Reply #2 on: 16 October 2021, 14:34 »
Thanks for the update, it’s great to read reviews on modifications. Love the look of your car, you can’t beat a three door MK7 and the colour and wheel combination looks great. Did you stick with OEM top mounts or upgrade?

Cheers Paul! 👍

I just bought new OEM top mounts and bearings and fitted to the coilovers, made installing them a little quicker.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 16 October 2021, 22:24 »
Thanks for posting the review up Mick.
It’s good to read positive feedback.
The car looks amazing too.  :cool:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Paul70

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 17 October 2021, 13:41 »
Maybe an updated RARB would also help but the car feels much more planted to the road.

Mick, I can highly recommend a RARB, it makes a noticeable difference in my experience to both turn in and rotation in the corner. I am running an 034 motorsport bar (only suspension mod) but there are many others available.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #5 on: 18 October 2021, 12:00 »
Any negatives about fitting an uprated RARB?

The rear end on a Mk7 is really light, doesn't that increase skippyness?
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 18 October 2021, 12:10 »
Prof Hamza was mighty impressed with his bilstein coilovers-

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iwvYk0AYQxA

2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline Paul70

• Here all the time
« Reply #7 on: 18 October 2021, 14:52 »
Any negatives about fitting an uprated RARB?

The rear end on a Mk7 is really light, doesn't that increase skippyness?

Not noticed anything obvious Fred. The only time I noticed an increased skittishness was after I removed everything from the rear, including the seats during a deep clean. That made a fair difference.