Author Topic: LL's Mk3 1.8t Cab  (Read 437946 times)

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
Re: LL's MK3 20VT
« Reply #1850 on: 12 January 2011, 09:28 »
No8 is strange, are you running a lambda sensor

Yeah got a lambda. Its got a decat though.

Thats why the emissions are high then  :smiley:

Yerp. Didn't expect it too pass any emissions test :D Did well though!

Offline Dec

• I live here
« Reply #1851 on: 12 January 2011, 09:42 »
I hate emissions. Was at my mates garage working on his Swift GTI a couple of weeks ago and the emissions were at 9 (dont know what they're measured in) and should have been around 3! Tweeked around a bit and got it down to 5 (which is around where it was before changing the pullys and a few other bits) then changed a throttle sensor and they went down to 1.6 :huh:

Really don't understand how it works, but all the best :) people seem to find emissions tricky to reduce.

Not that bader list though really  :smiley:

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
« Reply #1852 on: 12 January 2011, 09:56 »
I hate emissions. Was at my mates garage working on his Swift GTI a couple of weeks ago and the emissions were at 9 (dont know what they're measured in) and should have been around 3! Tweeked around a bit and got it down to 5 (which is around where it was before changing the pullys and a few other bits) then changed a throttle sensor and they went down to 1.6 :huh:

Really don't understand how it works, but all the best :) people seem to find emissions tricky to reduce.

Not that bader list though really  :smiley:

That's it mate. They said it wasn't far over at all and a good drive before should sort it out, so happy days.

List ain't too bad. Should be able to get the rack boot today and get that on later and hopefully sort the rear disc.

Will just be left with the nearside sill to sort then.

Offline Dec

• I live here
« Reply #1853 on: 12 January 2011, 10:02 »
Shame the side skirts don't cover the sills up enough :(

My sills on my old mk3 were pretty knackered I think, still got through the MOT though :undecided:

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
« Reply #1854 on: 12 January 2011, 10:08 »
Shame the side skirts don't cover the sills up enough :(

My sills on my old mk3 were pretty knackered I think, still got through the MOT though :undecided:

I think they were a little harsh on the sills tbh, will probs leave it to them and convince them they are fine. Its just the jacking point are a little crushed. I don't jack the car on the sills. I had planned on getting them both re-done, but not til later this year.

Sill's are the only thing I can't do myself. Really need to get a welder and get some practice in, would be so handy.

Offline dom

• 10k hero
  • Back in a Mk4
« Reply #1855 on: 12 January 2011, 11:08 »
Can you not just cover the sills in waxoil to disguise them?  :lipsrsealed:

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
« Reply #1856 on: 12 January 2011, 11:14 »
Can you not just cover the sills in waxoil to disguise them?  :lipsrsealed:

Maybe :lipsrsealed:

Its not really "corroded" as they stated. Its more just slightly collaped from people not jacking it up correctly. I'll be having a proper look later on and see what to do.

:)

Offline tsr_adi

• I live here
« Reply #1857 on: 12 January 2011, 12:20 »
I agree on the sills, think they were being harsh if they aren't rusty or got holes. I had the same thing with my old vento, they were crushed badly, but they never mentioned it. They wouldn't fail it on a dented wing now would they?  :grin:

You'l be very lucky if you get it through the emissions without a cat, do they test it on what a car of that age should be producing? Or do they test the emissions on the limit a 1.8t would normally have in its usual home? I know they have different limits for different cars or different age cars. I'l be lucky with my gti powered GL, cuz they don't need a cat and they only test emissions on idle  :smiley:

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
« Reply #1858 on: 12 January 2011, 12:24 »
I agree on the sills, think they were being harsh if they aren't rusty or got holes. I had the same thing with my old vento, they were crushed badly, but they never mentioned it. They wouldn't fail it on a dented wing now would they?  :grin:

You'l be very lucky if you get it through the emissions without a cat, do they test it on what a car of that age should be producing? Or do they test the emissions on the limit a 1.8t would normally have in its usual home? I know they have different limits for different cars or different age cars. I'l be lucky with my gti powered GL, cuz they don't need a cat and they only test emissions on idle  :smiley:

They seemed to think it will get through and it did last year, so fingers crossed. They said it was a little over and that was on cold start.

Will checked the sills again later, but I'm hoping they'll realize they aren't that bad.

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #1859 on: 12 January 2011, 12:31 »
Straighten the sills out and paint with waxoil or underseal, if you have no holes you should be fine.