Author Topic: LL's Mk3 1.8t Cab  (Read 438139 times)

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
Re: LL's MK3 1.4 '96
« Reply #30 on: 25 March 2008, 21:30 »
Ok, just to let you all know, i just spent F***in' ages typing stuff out and my computer went back ad when i came back to the page all my writing had gone  :angry:   :cry:   :sad:  :reallyangryface!!!!:

Ok so today i started on the bumper and got a friend to help. We filled the dings and scratches and sand down those parts and cleaned it, basically prepared it for priming and paint. He will use filler primer as it is the all-plastic bumper with all the little bumps on it. I will get paint 2moro so should be done soon. He is also going to do the side trims for me. Going for a color coded car.

Here is pic of some of today's work:

Also got the smoked front and side indicators fitted. All genuine VW. Just need to tint the blanks.

Got the jubilee clips fitted to the induction kit now so thats secure. Need to finish wiring the LED' into the dash and figure out how to fit that remote central locking kit!?!?! That will be a huge weight off the shoulders!

ICE is also upcoming - friends going to help me wire in some bits temp.  will look on ebay to find exactly what i want when i know. Nothing fancy, just more bass, louder and better quality sound.

Things I want to do soon apart from whats above is:
-respray front bumper and left front panel
-color coded debadged grill
-color coded rear badge or no badge
-spray gti spoiler and sikaflex it on (primed and ready)
-exhaust backbox

The two big things I want to do to change the look big style that are expensive and which I plan to do in the future is:
-lower it - coilovers
-alloys - 15,16,17, color?? dont know what i want yet but it is on my list

More pics and stuff to come soon, keep with the feedback,

Cheers,

LL ;) :tongue:

Offline Stu.750

• I live here
  • MMMMMMM Rust my favourite
« Reply #31 on: 27 March 2008, 04:21 »
loving the work so far , improving all the time  :wink:

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
« Reply #32 on: 03 April 2008, 01:18 »
cheers for the comment, still waiting on bumper and side trims, been busy. looking at getting new alloys, 15/16" and some coilovers. Some schweet alloys and slamming it to the ground, with deep lip spoiler will give it a good look. need my sleep, gotta start revising soon ..... :laugh:      no seriuosly i gotta.

LL ;)

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
« Reply #33 on: 13 April 2008, 12:10 »
OK as some know, I crashed like a week ago. Was crawlin through traffic, cars in front had moved quite a way forward (i was looking other way), so then i moved forward, at about 10-15mph, then I tried to adjust the bumper, which i had in the car as it was hitting me in the head; I was heading to the bodyshop to get it sprayed! So i was moving forward, not looking and then BANG! Towbar --- The front end was kinda broken .....

So it has been in the garage since then. The funny thing is, is that it was going in for bodywork to the same place before I crashed. Good thing is that it going to come out looking better than ever before.

Having no car made me bored, so have been on ebay buying presents for it. So far i have got:

- 10" pioneer sub; RMS is like 250W, not to serious but got it cheap. I was the only bid and it was ... yep ... £0.99!!!! But the guy said he couldn't let it go for that much, so after some talking, it was £7.50 and he would deliver it too me as he lived a few miles away! Schweet!!

- Alpine V12 amp mrv-f300s; V12 are some of the best amps i reckon. Got it for £36 + £20P&P   Ã‚£56!!!

- steath shelf for the mk3; now i gotta get some 6x9's. I've only got two speakers, standard ones in the CL. They are in the front doors. And two tweeters. So I need 6x9's for better sound quality. Cost £16 + £15P&P   Ã‚£31!!!

- Deep lip spoiler. This is at the body shop to be sprayed too! I know it will porbs get scratched, etc, but i want a fully color coded car and something different; I reckon it will look schweet (when i get it lowered though, i'll be very careful with parking near kerbs and driving over speedbumps - scratch!) Got this for £17 + £6.50P&P   Ã‚£23.50!!!

- Sony Headunit, direct ipod control!!! £50!!!

- Parts to replace the whole front end; got some off ebay but most i got in the local scrap yards. £100 for all parts.

- OK now for the good bit - Azev 16" alloys, yeah!!!  Still in the process of trying to get them picked up (complications with times he is available and when the courier can go). They come with all legal tyres too. Only £180 so not too bad.

I am trying to take things slower, I get more done then. Before I had a huge list and tried to organise everything but now i can be more focused:

- Once i get all the bits for my sound system, I'm going down to my m8 in cornwall to fit it all (he has sub boxes and wires galore!). I will also wire in some LED's in the dash heater controls to brighten it up; this is long due to be done.
- Well i get the car back soon and the body work will be better than before, the lower lip will be on all that sorted. they are also going to spray my spoiler for me, so I will go grab some sikaflex and get that on there.
- Still trying to figure out Remote Central Locking Kit!

So hopefully i'll get the car back soon and i will give update this with pics.
Ohh and i am getting the badges color coded too.
I reckon i just might have too much red, good job the new headunit has blue led's. :laugh:

Cheers,

LL :) ;) :cool: :grin:

Offline eightyeightmph

• I live here
« Reply #34 on: 20 April 2008, 09:47 »
Ok so here's an update of what I been doing (or trying to do  :laugh: )

I found some red sparco pedals that i must have bought a while back without knowing! :laugh: Couldn't be arsed to drill holes to bolt them on, so just used some super duper double side tape. They are actually on there pretty good, needs some force to rip them off. Only probs with the pedals is that the accelerator is too big and i'm afraid that when i brake i'm going to accelerate too! :shocked: Haven't driven it with them on yet, but if it is a problem, i will just rip it off. (would make it easier to down shift though). Anyway, heres a pic:

WTF! Tape to hold pedal covers on?? Not a good idea dude :undecided:

Shame you painted those speaker covers, been after a pair for the back of my car - could of swapped you for my existing ones if you were going to butcher them :rolleyes:

Got to say, like me at 17 your enthusiasm is spot on, I remeber my first car - 1.0 Polo C - going through the stages but now looking back I laugh! Still, you'll get there as you learn more! :wink:

Keep it up & you'll be laughing! :afro:
2016 GOLF GTD

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
« Reply #35 on: 23 April 2008, 22:48 »
Ok go the car back just over a week ago. Had a few parts sprayed, bumpers, grill and a couple panels. Looks spot on. A lot better than I thought it would turn out. Pics>

To finish it off I would like fresh plates, M3 mirrors and to lower it. But .... for now ....

A change of alloys I think. Picked up a set of azev a's 16x7.5.

Got the tyres taken off today and cleaned the inside. Then gave a quick scrub and bit of 1000 wet/dry to remove most of the grime and gave a few coats of silver. I didnt take much time on prep as its only the inside, not really seen much. Gotta get the grinder out with the steel abrasive twisted metal thing and get down to the bare metal for refurb. Got a friend spraying them for me  ;)
Anyway heres some more pics:

They have a bit off oxidation under the laquer, and a few scratches, so got some work to do ..... its good fun though as you know that all the effort is 200% worth it when you get the end product, fresh Azev A's   :cool:

Oh and got most of the stuff for my sound system now,
- 10" pioneer sub
- v12 alpine amp
- alpine 6x9's (from the 1800's though  :laugh: so will need new ones, type S 3way   :rolleyes: )
- stealth shelf

just need wiring kit to get it all fitted, oh and carpet for sub box. Using my m8's box, but no carpet.

When we do sound system, gunna wire in lots of led's into dash and throw a few neon bars inside (good ones this time). Gotta match  my undercar ones right   :cool: :grin: :cool: :wink:

Cheers 88, pedals lasted bout 1hr30, til i got angry and ripped them off while stopped at lights, looked crap and well ... tape  :laugh:

Lots more to come .....
« Last Edit: 23 April 2008, 22:55 by LazyLunatic »

Offline dubsport

• I live here
  • TDI POWAR!
« Reply #36 on: 23 April 2008, 22:58 »
car is really starting to take shape mate, keep up the good work! :afro:

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
Re: LazyLunatic a.k.a. LL -> MK3 1.4 '96 Lovin' It!
« Reply #37 on: 29 April 2008, 01:20 »
OK so i have sprayed the inside of the alloys, and tomorrow i going down to friends workshop to start stripping them down to bare metal. So they will soon be looking new!

Sprayed the blanks, as you can see in my signiture. Just used satin black, sanded it down, and loads of laquer. Only looks crap (i.e. you can see dotting) when your up really close, but otherwise look smart. They are slighter darker than indicators but cause both blanks are same, it matches up and looks good.

Got some sikaflex today and glued on spoiler, finished in the dark cause i started it late. I couldnt wait, as i have loads to do and its been too long, so i had to get it done. Will see it properly in the morning. Sikaflex is prety damn string stuff - how i know this > it is like f**kin tar! it gets everywhere!!!!
So after much swearing when it oozed out the edges and it wouldnt come off, and then cleaning it with spirit and then it oozing more (more swaering as it is now on the rear window, side panels?!? and all over me). So then after much cleaning and re-cleaning, it looked smart, with no trace of sikaflex.

I will get some updated pics with spoiler. I know there has been a few topics about keep/get rid of spoiler or whether spoiler/debadges grill is best, etc. Well the pics may help.

More to come - update on alloys and fresh pics.

Future - yeah my plans keep changing each time :laugh:   Sound system has to get done and more interior lighting, probs LED neons. M3 mirrors maybe and then  a good clean.

There are two things which i will get done, but not soon as they are the expensive ones :laugh:
-coilovers
-ss performance exhaust

Yep and next time i do a write up, plans will all be different ....

Cheers all,

LL ;)

btw, being 18 is schweet!!!!

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
« Reply #38 on: 04 May 2008, 01:54 »
started the alloys friday and going in on monday to finish the prep work. Leave them at the workshop to be sprayed.
Thinking polished/silver/chrome lip and black alloys. Unique Azev A's!

pics to come...

Was looking at Wolfsburg stuff too, pretty cool.

Still saving for coilovers and exhaust

LL ;)

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
« Reply #39 on: 07 May 2008, 00:13 »
Still trying to save for the expensive mods, but for now the alloys.

Got the poll up and i reckon i will go for black alloys, with silver rim. Should be ready for prime tomorrow and will soon be painted, depends how busy my m8 is at work. 

Going to make my own custom centre badges. Was going to get wolfsburg, but i want to custom make my own VW ones. I have the resources, so should be cool. Design them when i have time.

4 Gauge wiring kit on the way, and i think now i will have a bash at the fibre glass install. Both arches if i can find time/first goes well. One side for sub, other to put amp on. Still have boot space then. :grin:

Once sound system and alloys are finished, then i will do my headlights (tint).

Ohh and might grab a strut brace and m3 mirrors (dtm ... probs not). Mirrors i want, as i want to color code them, so might as well grab a nice new set, and paint them.

Ummm best stop now, need to save for coilovers!!!!!!!!!! :grin:

Cheers all,

LL ;)