Author Topic: Golf 8 GTI incoming  (Read 1356 times)

Offline rubberduck

• Not said much yet
Golf 8 GTI incoming
« on: 31 March 2021, 19:10 »
Hi all,

Thought I'd briefly introduce myself, my name is Andrew, just ordered a Golf 8 GTI DSG, should be here within two weeks, upgrading from a slightly slower, 125ps EcoBoost Ford Focus, had a couple of Golf's before that though, with the best being a 2016 GT Edition 150ps DSG...

Anyway, looking forward to building up my biscuit collection from the dealership visits I'll have to make for warranty work if my previous Golfs are anything to go by :grin:

Online fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Golf 8 GTI incoming
« Reply #1 on: 31 March 2021, 21:20 »
What colour and spec did you go for?

The mk8 has a few idiosyncrasies but I'm sure we can help you figure out how best to handle those.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 31 March 2021, 22:12 »
Hello and welcome  :smiley:
7.5 GTD

Offline rubberduck

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 01 April 2021, 08:33 »
What colour and spec did you go for?

The mk8 has a few idiosyncrasies but I'm sure we can help you figure out how best to handle those.

Nothing overly exciting I'm afraid, it's a basic spec (no added options) in Reflex Silver, I was tempted by Atlantic Blue but it didn't look right to me with the standard alloys and all other colours had a long lead time which I couldn't wait for.

Online fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 01 April 2021, 09:46 »
TBH, having a few options myself, I don't think its really worth it.

That's a thing I've slowly come to the conclusion over the first month.

Your colour choice is nice - I really liked Reflex Silver and ummed and ahhed about it before going with Royal Navy Battleship Grey.

If I was to do it again, I'd ditch the options I have and go with some lightweight replacement wheels, probably 18's even. I was just a little scared of the insurance consequences of replacing the wheels, but probably I should have sucked it up.

I might even have ditched the DSG too but the jury is still out on that!
« Last Edit: 01 April 2021, 09:48 by fredgroves »
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline rubberduck

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 01 April 2021, 12:40 »
TBH, having a few options myself, I don't think its really worth it.

That's a thing I've slowly come to the conclusion over the first month.

Your colour choice is nice - I really liked Reflex Silver and ummed and ahhed about it before going with Royal Navy Battleship Grey.

If I was to do it again, I'd ditch the options I have and go with some lightweight replacement wheels, probably 18's even. I was just a little scared of the insurance consequences of replacing the wheels, but probably I should have sucked it up.

I might even have ditched the DSG too but the jury is still out on that!

My use case for the car might be a little different to yours as well, I needed a five door family hatchback, something practical and reasonably economical to run, and automatic for the days when I get stuck in traffic again (I don't have any particular love for a manual), the GTI fit that criteria and the engine meant I would have that extra power to feel more comfortable on overtakes and to just have a bit more fun with.

As much as I love cars and having something nice, I'm not quite at the 'enthusiast' level as a lot of people here :grin:

Online fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 01 April 2021, 13:55 »
No, I hear you.

I'm not really a total enthusiast - my car is a tool for a job. I've no real desire for go faster stripes or bigger turbos.

A golf is a cracking practical car for family, work and DIY jobs.

A sporty golf lets you have fun while doing all of that.

Fuel economy is important, if it wasn't for mass hysteria, I'd have another GTD rather than a GTI.... couldn't take that risk so here I am.

I like this forum because its interesting, the people are nice to talk with and I learn stuff.... maybe stuff I will never use, but I enjoy learning anything really. I've learnt loads - loads of things I'll never do, but if I needed to, I know now!

I don't do social media- this is my one internet fun page.... sad eh  :laugh:

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 03 April 2021, 23:50 »
Welcome rubberducky!  :smiley:

We hope you don’t end up overdosing on Biscoffs!
Fingers crossed yours is a good’un
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner