Author Topic: petrol smell, stalls when hot and bad starts!  (Read 834 times)

Offline rowlers

• I live here
  • I'm back - MK7 GTI
petrol smell, stalls when hot and bad starts!
« on: 23 November 2004, 19:14 »
probably an easy one for you guys:

When stationary my Mk11 16v stinks of petrol. It had a drilled airbox one I bought it which I have sealed back up - this has eased the problem but it still stinks - fuel economy is still decent so it can't be leaking a lot. My old 16v had the same problem - I remember a local garage replacing a copper gasket - but can't remeber where any clues?

Also when the car is very hot (reading 104degC and up) it sometimes cuts out, it starts again no bother but will continue cutting out until it cools down any ideas?

finally for the majority of the time it starts no problem first time, on the odd occassion it seem like i'm turning it over for ages until it fires up, other time it starts but runs like a bag of sh!t until it smothes it self out (with a bt of throttle?

Cheers folks

Offline frankerooney

• GTI forum regular
Re: petrol smell, stalls when hot and bad starts!
« Reply #1 on: 26 November 2004, 11:15 »
The last bit sounds like leaking injectors to me - they can dribble petrol when the car is stopped, flooding and causing misfire when it does eventually start. My scirocco has this problem and stinks when you turn it over as all the fuel in the cylinder gets sloshed around when you're trying to start it. ?