Author Topic: What have you done to your mk8 today?  (Read 124194 times)

Offline GTI_Ant

• GTI forum regular
Re: What have you done to your mk8 today?
« Reply #740 on: 31 July 2023, 20:19 »
The first demo cars are literally just hitting the showrooms, I thought there would have been a stampede of requests for test drives but alas it seems a slow start for them. Maybe nobody wants hot hatches anymore. Not that’s it’s really a hot hatch.

This review is pretty spot on https://youtu.be/f2ikVe8IhPE
The appeal is probably limited by the fact that it’s going to be very slow over longer distances.  And for people who can’t charge at home, the appeal must be close to zero.
GTi Clubsport DCC winter pack rear camera
Previous:
7.5R 3dr DSG DPB Prets Dynaudio
MK7 GTI PP Tungsten Silver Manual Nav Dynaudio Winter Pack Park Assist

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #741 on: 01 August 2023, 14:21 »
Bit of a Curate’s Egg based on that review, worth £36K though.
Is this a repeat of the Japanese invasion of the ‘70’s / early ‘80’s?

The Chinese EV’s are definitely leading the march right now. There seems to be a new marque popping up every month!

The appeal is probably limited by the fact that it’s going to be very slow over longer distances.  And for people who can’t charge at home, the appeal must be close to zero.

The sales guy said they expected demand to be very limited and didn’t know exactly who their customer base was, they basically built it because they could. It’s a refreshing change from the legions of expensive SUV EV’s at least.
It drove really nicely, good fun without worrying about finesse.
The seats felt a bit squishy after the VW’s and the centre screen could do with being angled toward the driver slightly. Some of the font and tiles could do with being a bit bigger as there’s a lot of features on the car but basic controls are fairly easy to navigate similar to the Golf.
The infotainment seemed laggy in some settings but so does the Golf’s.

For those that do long distance work they do an ‘Extended Range’ car with 230ish bhp, the Xpower is a sh!ts and giggles car that emerges from a super sensible looking family hatch.
Being as 90% of the company car EV’s in my neighbourhood hardly ever roll off their driveways a company car is rarely now an essential tool. For those that still use their company car for its intended purpose instead of a luxury perk there are better options in the range that do actually drive well.

A colleague of mine has an MG4 and says their forums report very very long waits on even basic things like replacement windscreens, he himself is on his third driver’s window failure in six months. He also said he got an insurance quote of £1400 on an Xpower - he’s 52 with a clean licence and full no claims and doesn’t live in a crime hotspot.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #742 on: 01 August 2023, 15:05 »
He also said he got an insurance quote of £1400 on an Xpower - he’s 52 with a clean licence and full no claims and doesn’t live in a crime hotspot.

All electric car insurance is crazy expensive.

The insurers have realised that medium damage is a new battery...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #743 on: 01 August 2023, 15:13 »
He also said he got an insurance quote of £1400 on an Xpower - he’s 52 with a clean licence and full no claims and doesn’t live in a crime hotspot.

Or light damage to a Tesla casted 1 piece chassis can write the car off - really not good for environmental credentials having cars so easily written off, especially when a Chinese built BEV with its manufacture powered by coal fired power stations have as big a CO2 footprint as a UK built one with a semi clean energy mix with about 55k miles worth of fuel to burn with it. Still, as long as the CO2 is left in China, it won't affect us in the UK, will it?  :grin:
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #744 on: 01 August 2023, 15:56 »

Or light damage to a Tesla casted 1 piece chassis can write the car off - really not good for environmental credentials having cars so easily written off, especially when a Chinese built BEV with its manufacture powered by coal fired power stations have as big a CO2 footprint as a UK built one with a semi clean energy mix with about 55k miles worth of fuel to burn with it. Still, as long as the CO2 is left in China, it won't affect us in the UK, will it?  :grin:

:whistle:
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #745 on: 01 August 2023, 17:56 »
Bit of a Curate’s Egg based on that review, worth £36K though.
Is this a repeat of the Japanese invasion of the ‘70’s / early ‘80’s?

The Chinese EV’s are definitely leading the march right now. There seems to be a new marque popping up every month!

The sales guy said they expected demand to be very limited and didn’t know exactly who their customer base was, they basically built it because they could. It’s a refreshing change from the legions of expensive SUV EV’s at least.
It drove really nicely, good fun without worrying about finesse.
The seats felt a bit squishy after the VW’s and the centre screen could do with being angled toward the driver slightly. Some of the font and tiles could do with being a bit bigger as there’s a lot of features on the car but basic controls are fairly easy to navigate similar to the Golf.
The infotainment seemed laggy in some settings but so does the Golf’s.

For those that do long distance work they do an ‘Extended Range’ car with 230ish bhp, the Xpower is a sh!ts and giggles car that emerges from a super sensible looking family hatch.
Being as 90% of the company car EV’s in my neighbourhood hardly ever roll off their driveways a company car is rarely now an essential tool. For those that still use their company car for its intended purpose instead of a luxury perk there are better options in the range that do actually drive well.

A colleague of mine has an MG4 and says their forums report very very long waits on even basic things like replacement windscreens, he himself is on his third driver’s window failure in six months. He also said he got an insurance quote of £1400 on an Xpower - he’s 52 with a clean licence and full no claims and doesn’t live in a crime hotspot.

A different view.
https://apple.news/AcUVGsw9MRDOX2IwgxJHmcw
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #746 on: 01 August 2023, 18:03 »
Subscription only and I’m not paying money to that Nazi rag!  :whistle: (Plus I’m too thick to do their crossword)
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #747 on: 01 August 2023, 18:08 »
Subscription only and I’m not paying money to that Nazi rag!  :whistle: (Plus I’m too thick to do their crossword)

Basically reads that China could immobilise Chinese EV’s on UK roads to the detriment of the UK economy. It’s a bit aluminium hat theory and the UK government (IMO) is doing a far better job of screwing up the economy than China.
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #748 on: 01 August 2023, 18:17 »
That sounds about right for The Times  :rolleyes:
But they do have a point if things hot up further when Adolf Trump returns to his throne spouting off. In time of war they can easily switch off cars, phones, microwave ovens, air fryers, TV’s and all the other modern essentials we rely on Chinese semi-slave labour for. Not saying this country is any better politically, we just try and dress it up differently.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #749 on: 01 August 2023, 20:43 »
Not sure about this electric car future

https://youtu.be/GZ9-mW-cmdE

Chinese built

https://youtu.be/yOA7qKMcjcE

Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.