Author Topic: What have you done to your Mk6 today then?  (Read 654318 times)

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
Re: What have you done to your Mk6 today then?
« Reply #2330 on: 12 January 2015, 18:28 »
What dash cams are people using and any photos of them installed?
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline vertex

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2331 on: 12 January 2015, 22:38 »
What dash cams are people using and any photos of them installed?

I've currently got a blackvue 550gw. This has a full HD camera at the front and a smaller 720 at the back. Also has built in WiFi, so you can change the settings from your phone, view recordings and watch live.

Pics to follow

Offline mike.

• I live here
« Reply #2332 on: 13 January 2015, 09:29 »
I am using a G1W ,review here.

Great quality for about £30 just be carefull if buying one as there a lot of fakes on Ebay..
Mk6 GTI 3dr | DSG | Tornado Red | 18" Monza 2 | LED Xenons | RNS510 | Bluetooth | Smoked LED tails | Cruise | Reversing Camera | TPMS | - now sold :(

Offline MartinrobGTi

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2333 on: 13 January 2015, 23:16 »
After fitting the rns510 unit, i noticed that after connecting my ipod to the connector inside the armrest that the music quality is far less as good as it was on the rcd310, why's that? Anyone know?? The sound quality on the cd player and hdd is awesome, but pretty awful on the mdi ipod. Anyone know why? And what i could do to fix it? All my songs on the ipod are proper itunes music so no cheap copies or bla bla! And the quality was fine in the old rcd310
Golf Mk6 GTi | Candy White | RNS 510 | Revo Stage 2 | Pipercross Stage 2 Intake | Milltek Cat Back 3" Race System Non Resonated | 3" Pipewerx Downpipe & 200 Cell Sportscat | H&R Sport Springs | 18" Monza Shadows | Rear LED Tail Lights | Wind Deflectors | NGK Iridiums | Sachs Race Clutch

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2334 on: 14 January 2015, 06:51 »
After fitting the rns510 unit, i noticed that after connecting my ipod to the connector inside the armrest that the music quality is far less as good as it was on the rcd310, why's that? Anyone know?? The sound quality on the cd player and hdd is awesome, but pretty awful on the mdi ipod. Anyone know why? And what i could do to fix it? All my songs on the ipod are proper itunes music so no cheap copies or bla bla! And the quality was fine in the old rcd310

Might be something else, but worth checking the aux input levels in the media set up menu.  Sometimes it is set at 'high' which can cause a lot of sound distortion, particularly on iPod files, much more so than CDs.

On the RNS if you go into Settings - Media - Set Up button - Media - Aux input level - choice of low, medium or high.  Medium is the better setting.   It does mean you might have to whack the volume up on some songs but you shouldn't get distortion.
« Last Edit: 14 January 2015, 07:21 by Booth11 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline JC

• Global Moderator
  • 10k hero
  • Back in the North.
« Reply #2335 on: 19 January 2015, 16:35 »
broke the 52 mpg barrier on the fill, drive fill Excel spread sheet  :cool:

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #2336 on: 19 January 2015, 17:09 »
Had a tyre go pop on Friday night. Both front tyres were below 3mm, so a new pair have been ordered from my preferred tyre dealer.

I've fitted all 4 'summer' Passat wheels to it whilst I wait for the new front tyres. It's given be the opportunity to give all the wheel a proper inside and out clean and also discover how much better the ride is on 17" wheels.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline JC

• Global Moderator
  • 10k hero
  • Back in the North.
« Reply #2337 on: 19 January 2015, 17:18 »
discover how much better the ride is on 17" wheels.

and thats just cleared 3 items off my ebay watch list. Thanks :afro:

s90

« Reply #2338 on: 19 January 2015, 17:23 »
So I joined the club over Christmas, went from a Mk5 TDI to a 2011 Mk6 GTI, and boy what a difference! I've been absolutely in love with GTIs for years and can't believe I actually own one myself now :grin: I've been browsing the forum trying to pick up on advice others have had but thought I'd introduce myself here.

Looking at aesthetic changes I eventually want new alloys (looking at the BBS SR) and xenons but obviously a lot of money to drop in one go, especially after getting the car itself!

First thing I want to do is get some Halogen bulbs to replace the standard which I believe are H7. I was looking at the OSRAM Nightbreaker, thoughts or other recommendations? is it worth replacing the H15 also? thinking of doing this until I can drop the money on xenons.

I was also looking at getting the LED replacement kit for the interior lights, where's the best place to find these kits, ebay?

Finally, are there any other relatively cheap aesthetic mods that you guys/gals can recommend?

Thanks!

Offline seabrook132

• I live here
« Reply #2339 on: 19 January 2015, 18:10 »
First thing I want to do is get some Halogen bulbs to replace the standard which I believe are H7. I was looking at the OSRAM Nightbreaker, thoughts or other recommendations? is it worth replacing the H15 also? thinking of doing this until I can drop the money on xenons.

Finally, are there any other relatively cheap aesthetic mods that you guys/gals can recommend?

Thanks!

Hi and welcome,

The standard headlight bulbs are pretty crap aren't they? I've just put some Philips Xtreme Vision Plus 130% H7 in my dipped beam and they are much better. I've had Osram Nightbreakers in previous cars as well and they'll be good too. As for H15 full beam, there really isn't a lot out there at all. I don't know why VW use this fitting!

One small cosmetic thing that's fairly popular is seat inserts. It's one of the only things I've done and looks really OEM
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Golf-5-V-Golf-6-VI-MK5-MK6-GTI-seat-inserts-alloy-trim-cover-TDI-GTD-TSI-GT-R-/161020148984

2011 GTI DSG 5dr, Tornado Red, 18" Monza Shadows, Heated Leather, RNS-510, MDI, Bilstein B16 PSS10 Coilovers, Ohlins DCC Cancellation Kit, Audi TT-RS Front Top Mounts, Whiteline 24mm Rear ARB, Michelin Pilot Sport 4, 034 Motorsports Street Density Engine and Gearbox Mounts, Audi R8 Red Coil Packs, NGK BKR7EIX, Millers 5W-40 Nanodrive