Author Topic: electronics keep resetting?  (Read 1913 times)

Offline _Adam_

• I live here
electronics keep resetting?
« on: 25 April 2008, 14:49 »
my mpg resets itself every time i leave my car locked for say 5 mins, and i rescently bought a new head unit to replace my old pioneer one, and i've tried every possible way of wiring up the power + cnstant feed and i get the same problem.
if i take my keys out and then turn the ignition back on, it keeps its settings, time, equaliser, and what song it was playing before it turned off. but if i lock the car and return like 5 minutes later, everything has reset back to factory settings again, i can't work it out. the old head unit didnt do it but the Mpg has always done it.

any ideas? :huh: :angry:

Offline Ridg

• I live here
  • TDI - Soot Happens!
Re: electronics keep resetting?
« Reply #1 on: 25 April 2008, 15:04 »
sounds like your constant live is in the wrong hole

on the back of the head unit, you should have the iso loom and a couple of wires, 2 of these (normally one red, one yellow) will the the switched live, and the constant live, switch these over and it should sort you out.

regarding your mpg, does it reset after say 2 hours or as soon as your turn the engine off?

as the computer has 2 memories, short term and long term (indicated by a 1 or 2 in the top corner)

Offline THiNK

• I live here
  • Golf MK4 GT TDI 150
« Reply #2 on: 25 April 2008, 15:12 »
as the computer has 2 memories, short term and long term (indicated by a 1 or 2 in the top corner)

How do you switch between the two - when i got the car it was always showing 2 - now it only shows one.

Thanks,

CS

Offline Ridg

• I live here
  • TDI - Soot Happens!
« Reply #3 on: 25 April 2008, 15:17 »

How do you switch between the two - when i got the car it was always showing 2 - now it only shows one.

Thanks,

CS

on the gear stick with the engine off, shift into 1st, then 4th, then 2nd them 3rd

not really press the reset button, press and hold resets the selected "trip"

Offline THiNK

• I live here
  • Golf MK4 GT TDI 150
« Reply #4 on: 25 April 2008, 15:21 »
on the gear stick with the engine off, shift into 1st, then 4th, then 2nd them 3rd

Ha ha almost fell for it, but i have two more gears ;) - thanks :)

CS

Offline GTi-Matt

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 26 April 2008, 07:36 »

Thanks,

CS

hahahahahaaha PMSL  :laugh: :laugh:
I must warn you I'm about as decisive as a 5 yr old in a sweet shop!!  :grin:

Offline _Adam_

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 26 April 2008, 09:47 »
lmao. ye iv tried the red to yellow and yellow to red, the red and yellow to yellow, the red and yellow to red, and all 4 connected!       
its as soon as i immobilise the car i think, ill check today... g2g to work now yeyy

Offline _Adam_

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 26 April 2008, 18:10 »
yeah its the short term one thats resetting lol, my bad. i gota get back to cracking how to wire up the head unit then :angry:

Offline _Adam_

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 29 April 2008, 23:47 »
i've cracked my head unit problems, i know its very suimple but i thought i'd do a very quick diagram to show you what went wrong as i had a second problem... just incase anyone makes my mistake......

this is how it is wired up now, with constant feed, so you dont need the keys, and the head unit keeps all its settings: time, track number etc...

this is how i had it wired up, and it didnt work because i blew one of the fuses, a 25amp one. i didnt know because there wasnt any sign of a fuse blown, just looked like incorrect wiring. BUT, once i replaced the fuse, it knocked my remote central locking out, which is the reason i thought i'd make this silly post. just disconnect the yellow wire leading from the loom and its fine:undecided:

Offline GTi-Matt

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 30 April 2008, 19:03 »
well done mate glad u solved the mystery
I must warn you I'm about as decisive as a 5 yr old in a sweet shop!!  :grin: