Author Topic: madone_si - A4 Avant 1.8T RED Quattro  (Read 105052 times)

Offline Madone_si

• I live here
  • Seattle WA, USA and Middlesex, UK
Re: madone_si - A4 Avant 1.8T RED Quattro
« Reply #50 on: 23 March 2012, 05:44 »
Now the last step procedure of re-installing the headlight units to the car and putting back the Air duct and engine cover. This last procedure will be updated in next few days.

Audi is going into Achtuning next week to have remap of ECU to APR II+ as I keep getting codes errors!
Old Skool Mk1 Golf Gli (82), Mk1 US Cab 85 and 83
SOLD - BLACK SOY 92

Offline Madone_si

• I live here
« Reply #51 on: 02 April 2012, 03:16 »
Here is the installation of Blitz-Safe M-LINK V1.B into my Audi B6 Avant

Background on why I went this route:
I used to have a RNS-E in my Audi but it broke so I put the Symphony II Stereo back in the car. To be honest I never used the full functions of RNS-E SATNAV, so really didn't want to buy another one, but I wanted to play my music on my IPod/IPhone and listen to my British radio stations via my IPhone. So I figured I would look up adapters and I came across Blitz safe Audi M-Link V1.B which a few fellow AZ's have installed and seem to like and it covers everything I want, so I ordered one from http://enfigcarstereo.com :)
I will install it and run the cable under the center console and have it come out in the arm rest holder.

Useful links I found on site;
http://enfigcarstereo.com/blog/2011/...uetooth-guide
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...009&styleid=12
And useful Video on install of this very device - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qm_gfdJgkuc

Installations Steps

NOTE: The following is a detailed procedure on how I installed Blitz-safe M-Link V1.B in my Audi B6 Avant. I reviewed a few useful DIY's on www and EZ forum but none of them ever covered how to install unit and run cable so it comes out in the arm rest holder, without seeing any cables, so here is how I did it.

I am sure others will find ways to do this or improve on it, but this is what worked well for me :)

Parts needed
   - Blitz-Safe - AUDI iPod Interface MLINK1 V1.B
   - Audi stereo removal keys (x4)
   - Zip ties (x1)
   - Black Electrical Tape
   - Cloth/towel
   - Sand paper

Tools needed

- Torque wrench, extension bar and 8mm socket
   - Phillips screwdriver - large/small
   - Flat head screwdrivers
   - Scissors

Step 1. You need to remove the radio/Stereo.

Take the 4 stereo removal keys and insert keys into the four slots (make sure you insert them the right way) and push them all the way in as below pictures show.

Now all the keys are inserted in the Stereo, you now push the keys outwards (left key - outwards to left) and (Right keys - outwards to Right) While pushing the keys towards the outside, you can pull them towards you to remove the radio/Stereo.

Make sure you place a cloth/Towel over the center console, so when you pull out the Stereo you can rest Stereo on the cloth/towel and not scratch the front of the Stereo or center console.

Pull Stereo out, I did this by pull on top right and bottom left and then pull on the opposites sides, you may have to try this a few times before it comes out.
NOTE: While pushing the keys towards the outside, you can pull them towards you to remove the radio/Stereo.

Stereo out on cloth/Towel
SOLD - BLACK SOY 92

Offline Madone_si

• I live here
« Reply #52 on: 02 April 2012, 03:16 »
Step 2. Next step is to remove the keys from Stereo. Do this by pressing on the clips on the side of Stereo, that is holding the keys in place. Push the clips inwards and then pull keys outwards, as outlined below;

Push clip in and pull key outwards

Key now released. Repeat until all 4 keys are removed.

Step 3.Now you are ready to start taking some of the cables off the Stereo, so place stereo facing downwards as below picture, so you can access cables on the rear of stereo.

Now remove the following two cables, with Ariel  black cable first, which you can just pull off and then second cable (yellow) which is held in place with clip, which needs to be pressed in and then pulled upwards.

Next step is to remove the below cable  highlighted in blue. There are two clips at each end, press in and pull upwards to pull off

Cable off :)
SOLD - BLACK SOY 92

Offline Madone_si

• I live here
« Reply #53 on: 02 April 2012, 03:18 »
Step 4.Next step is to now install the first part of the Ipod unit to the stereo, which on the back of the stereo you will see screw as outlined below.

Using Philips screwdriver, unscrew this completely.

Now taking the black cable (Earth cable) with eye ring at the end from the Blitz-Safe-IPod unit, screw  the earth cable to the stereo using small Philips screwdriver.

Next step is to connect the main Black Stereo cable you removed from the stereo already and plug into the orange cable from the Blitz IPod, as outlined in the next few pictures.

Cables connected.

Next step is to take the last cable from Blitz IPod-adapter and connect to the back of the Stereo, where you took out the original black cable.

Next step is to connect the IPod/IPhone cable to the Blitz IPod adapter unit.  You just need to plug this cable into the end of the adapter unit.

Now at this point the Blitz adapter is corrected connected to your Stereo. Time to test this works, before moving onto the next steps.

Step 5.You now need to connect the last two cables that are still unconnected to the Stereo. This is the Ariel  and yellow cable, which you just push on as outlined in below picture.

Step 6.I placed the Blitz Adapter and cables back into the center console area, so you can put the stereo unit back into the dashboard, but not completely back in, as we are only testing right now. Make sure you don't put the IPod/IPhone cable behind the stereo, as you are going to use behind the stereo :)

Ok lets test out if the adapter works :). You will need the keys in the ignition to turn the stereo on.

You now press the CD bottom on the stereo twice, so you see CDC1, this is setting for allowing Blitz adapter to play music from  IPod/IPhone unit through your stereo.

You can at any time connect your  IPod/IPhone in my case to the Blitz cable and select method for playing your deserved music :)

All working as required via music applications :)

Now you have confirmed that the adapter is working, its time to run the cable you connect to you IPod/IPhone unit to the location you want in the car. For me I want to run this cable under the center console and have cable pop up and go into the center arm rest, without any cables showing.
« Last Edit: 02 April 2012, 03:30 by Madone_si »
SOLD - BLACK SOY 92

Offline Madone_si

• I live here
« Reply #54 on: 02 April 2012, 03:19 »
Step 7.Next step is to shut off power to stereo and un-install the stereo with Blitz Adapter still connected completely, so can gain access to central console to run the cable to the arm rest area.
Pull stereo out from center console area and disconnect the following three cables only from Stereo;
   1. Black Ariel cable
   2. The yellow cable right next to Ariel cable
   3. Smaller Black cable connected to Stereo

Remove the following two cables, black Ariel cable first, which you can just pull off and then second cable (yellow) which is held in place with clip, which needs to be pressed in and then pulled upwards.

Next step is to remove the below cable nearest the dashboard (only black cover plug connected to stereo) . There are two clips at each end, press in and pull upwards to pull off

Can now pull out the stereo with the Blitz adapter still connected and place on the floor in the car or somewhere safe.

Center console without the stereo.

Step 8.Ok so now we need to take apart the center console.

First step Gear shift cover.

Pushing with your fingers from outside inwards, you will be able to lift out the gear shift cover

Pull Gear shift cover until it looks like this.

Now we need to remove the face plate cover of gear shift, you do this by putting fingers at top edge and pull upwards to release the top clips underneath as outlined in below picture.

Now do the same for the bottom part, do this by putting fingers on the inside edge and pull upwards to release the clips underneath as outlined in below picture.

Now pull over the gearshift cover, you will need to tilt it a bit to get it off

And now off :)

Step 9.Ok next step will be to remove the ash tray bolts, so we can then remove the heating control unit above and then ash tray (some people remove heating unit first, I just did it this way around !!)

Using a 8mm socket and mini torque wrench to loosen the bolts.

Time to undo the bolts :) left side

Time to undo the bolts :) right side

All bolts removed and closed ashtray, in preparation for removing heating control unit.

Step 10.Now onto remove Heating control unit All you need to do is put your fingers behind the unit and gently push forward, be careful not to let to drop onto the astray top.

Now its at this point you can do two things;
   1. Discount all the cables and completely remove the unit (easy way!)
   2. Pull heating control unit out and place to one side with cables connected. (I did this option because I was lazy……! ;) )

So now I can access from stereo, behind the heating control unit and underneath the ashtray, to run my Blitz adapter cable, I now need to have access to under the center console below the hand break and base unit of center console between the seats under the arm rest unit.

Step 11.Remove the Parking brake cover.
Using you fingers, push from underneath the Parking brake plastic cover as outlined in the below picture and push upwards.

Once parking brake plastic cover is unclipped, you can then pull outwards with from the top edge.

And now removed :) you can see the foam underneath, which we will guide the cable around, will explain that in later steps shortly.

Step 12.Next step to remove the plastic cover in the center console underneath the arm rest unit.

Using a flat head screwdriver, you will put the screwdriver down the edge of the plastic as in picture below and just push the screwdriver to the left and this will push the plastic cover to the right and upwards, allowing you to then grab with your fingers to completely remove. Following pictures show explain these actions.

SOLD - BLACK SOY 92

Offline Madone_si

• I live here
« Reply #55 on: 02 April 2012, 03:21 »
Step 13.We now have all the center console parts removed, to allow you to install the Blitz Adapter cable from the Stereo to the Arm rest. In the picture below you can see from the Red arrows where we will feed the cable through center console and come out where the Red star is, that will be where Stereo will be.

Now you can install the cable from Stereo area or from center console, but due to the end one end of the cable has smaller connector as seen in the below picture, this will be easier to pass through the cable, so I started from the center console between the front seats and underneath the arm rest, feed the cable into the small circle hole as in the picture below.

You feed the cable underneath and with your other hand grab the cable from open area underneath the hand brake and then feed the cable underneath through to the gear shift area.

Now you will have to move the foam underneath the center console, some of them may be stuck down (glued), so gently push up area you want to feed the cable through, so not to completely remove foam, so the foam will help hold the cable in place.

This picture shows the route I placed the cable under the center console, using blue arrows.

So you are now ready to feed the cable under the ashtray and behind the heating center console unit. As I outlined in few steps before, you have pulled the heating center console unit out and place to one side, I places to the left hand side as seen in picture below.

Now you have the heating center console unit out of the way, you can now pull out the ashtray unit. Pull the ashtray up and towards you, but be gently as there is a cable connected to the underneath of the unit that we need to disconnect.

Using flat head screwdriver, push the clip upwards and then pull the cable outwards to the left, this will allow you then to disconnect the cable and remove ashtray properly.

Now the ashtray is removed, we can feed the Blitz Adapter cable, underneath the gear shift foam as outlined in below picture.

I then moved the cable as far as I could to the left hand side as in the below picture and feed the cable through to the main dashboard center console area.

As you can see in the below picture, you feed the cable through where ashtray was and then behind the main center console dashboard area. You now have the cable completely feed through to where the stereo unit will be.

Closer look at the cable placed under the center console. (I will explain in next few steps how I secure the cable)

Step 14.I would adjust the cable so that you have enough behind the stereo area to connect to the Blitz Adapter, so that you have as much of the cable at the arm rest area.

Step 15.So next step is to place back the Ashtray, Heating center console unit, plastic cover underneath the hand brake and then re-install the stereo with Blitz adapter connected.

Ashtray re-installation.

Place the ashtray close to where it originally is normally placed and flip the ashtray so you can see where you connect the cable. Now connect the cable to the Ashtray.

Ashtray cable.

Push the ash tray cable onto the ash tray unit.

Now place the Ashtray back into it original location.

Step 16.Now take the heating center console unit and re-install. This slides back into the center console.

Now lets re-install the bolts to secure the Ashtray.

Step 17.Now its time to secure the Blitz Adapter cable near the gear shift area, before we install the gearshift cover.
Using Electrical tape, cut piece of tape and place over cable on the left hand side as shown in the following pictures. (this tape is all the way from the UK!)

Tape placed over the cable near the gearshift area.

Now add tape also over Blitz Adapter cable under the hand brake area. You can also see clearly where I feed the cable underneath the foam.

Step 18.Next step is to install the Gearshift cover. You can see in the below picture one of the 4 clips on the underneath of the gear shift cover.

Pull the Gearshift leather cover upwards as shown below.

Place the gearshift cover over the gearshift and leather cover, so you can now push into place the cover into the main clips.

Down press down on each corner to push the cover into its original location. You will hear the clips pop into place.

Now in place :)

Step 19.Next step is to pull down the gearshift leather cover and push down on each corner to push the edges into the main cover. This clips in easily.

Looking good

SOLD - BLACK SOY 92

Offline Madone_si

• I live here
« Reply #56 on: 02 April 2012, 03:22 »
Step 20.Next step is to re-install the plastic cover  underneath the hand brake, which is really easy. Place cover  tilted downwards as shown in picture below, so the rear plastic sides feeds correctly into the area.

Now push with your thumb to push the front of the plastic cover into place.

Cover in place :)

Step 21.So now we can move onto installing the Stereo unit with the Blitz Adapter connected.

To make sure you don't scratch any of the center console or your Stereo, place a cloth or towel over the center console area as outlined below.

Take your stereo and place onto the cloth/towel with the face of the stereo faced down as in the below picture.

You will see that the only cables connected to the Stereo are the ones from the Blitz Adapter.

First step is to connect the cable you feed underneath the center console to the Blitz adapter unit. (Nearly managed to do a VW sign while holding the cable and unit…..!!!!!!! )

Cable connected.

We now move onto connecting the only cable not connected to anything from Blitz Adapter and plug in the Black Stereo loom cable into this. There will be two cables from main loom that goes to the stereo that biggest one connects into the orange Blitz adapter cable.

We now connect the other smaller main cable back into the back of the Stereo, which is connected to the Audi main loom.

Cable connected

Next step is connect the last 2 cables to the Stereo on the right hand side, Arial cable and yellow cable.

Starting with the yellow clip, just press down until it clips into place.

Push Cable on with finger.

Then the Arial cable

Push Cable on with finger.

All cables now secure and connected to the Stereo.

Step 22.Time to now make sure the Blitz Adapter is secure behind the stereo. The right hand side is the best place I found due to two reasons;
   1. The only area that has the space to hold the adapter, out of the way of the stereo
   2. Over where the adapter is located in the below picture, we can secure the unit to the plastic above it using zip ties :)

So place the unit the right hand slide as I have.

I need put tape on the unit and to the plastic above, to hold it in place in preparation for the zip ties

Using  a zip tie as shown below;

I then feed the zip tie around the Blitz Adapter and through one the plastic holes to secure the unit.

Next cut off the excess end of the zip tie and pulled the end of the zip tie towards the back so you can see any of the unit or zip tie if you look directly into the Stereo area, so that the Stereo does not get caught on it for install or removal.

No sign of Blitz Adapter from the front :)

Step 23.So now we can re-install the Stereo back into the main center console, make sure all cables are placed behind stereo and slowly push stereo back in, if the Stereo gets suck for any reason, pull out and check that no cables are getting caught.

Step 24.Now this is a key part, DO NOT install the stereo completely yet, we need to test that the Stereo and the new Blitz Adapter work properly.  You can now also remove the cloth/towel.

Now connect your device to the Blitz cable and with the ignition on, turn on the stereo and press the CD bottom twice to get to the Blitz Adapter option. (will show up as CDC1 TRACK99)

Now place some music on from your device and make sure you can hear the music from your stereo and speakers :)

Everything was working as required, so I pushed my stereo in properly:)
SOLD - BLACK SOY 92

Offline Madone_si

• I live here
« Reply #57 on: 02 April 2012, 03:24 »
Step 25.Now at this point the cable end is just coming out of the center console underneath the arm rest, which you can now do a few options;
   1. Put the plastic cover back into the area where the cable is showing in the below picture and leave the cable on top of the cover. (Blue Arrow)
   2. Feed the cable into the arm rest, via the plastic cover you can see at the bottom of the arm rest (in picture below - highlight with Red Arrow) and then put the plastic cover on as per action 1.
   3. Feed the cable through to the arm rest via the arm rest mechanism, so you see no cables at all and can connect your device inside arm rest unit.

At this moment in time, I have gone with option 1 & 2, but will be doing option 3 in next few weeks, due to I need to order some parts to complete action 3.

So here are the steps to complete Actions 1 & 2. Place the center arm rest unit in its normal position as seen in picture below

Now open up the arm rest unit, by pressing the front level upwards, you will now see the cup holder in the arm rest unit. Now due to you will want to place your device in here, we are going to remove this.

To remove the cup holder unit, you need to remove the plastic cover that is held in place at the end of the cup holder, so you can view the screws that hold it in place.

Using your fingers you will be able to pull this upwards and out, as it is not held in place by anything.

Plastic over off :), you can now see two screws holding the unit in place.

Using a Phillips screwdriver, unscrew the screws, which you only need to unscrew half a turn each, as these screws are designed to be in a open/close positions to secure and loose the cup holder unit in the arm rest unit.

Now using your fingers, pull the unit upwards as seen in picture below;

Now you have a nice cleared out arm rest unit :)

Next is to remove the plastic hole covers inside and outside of the arm rest. You do this by pressing the underneath plastic small cover with your fingers.

By pressing on the underneath small plastic cover, will push up the inside cover and allow you to remove the inside cover.

You can now pull this out and place to one side. You can now see the underneath cover too from inside now. Using one finger, you can now push out the underneath plastic cover.

Now plastic covers are removed, should look like this.

Now you can feed the cable through the hole and inside the Arm rest unit, so connect to your device.

My IPhone connected to cable, give you an idea of what it looks like.

Last step is to re-install the plastic cover in place where the cable comes out from underneath the center console, below the arm rest unit.

Simply drop in the plastic cover. Now if you find that the cable is stopping the plastic cover from dropping into place correctly, use sand paper and rub down the bottom right corner, until the cable and pop through and plastic cover slides down properly, I had to do this.

Now pull down the arm rest into the normal position and now you have your IPod/IPhone Device adapter installed to your Stereo and control your music from your device from the Arm rest unit, which as you will find you have enough cable to pull unit out of the arm rest and select different applications and songs as you like.

Shot from either side of the arm rest, do you can see just how hard it is to see the cable.

So this is how I have left my set-up right now, but in the coming weeks, feed the cable through to the arm rest via the arm rest mechanism, so you see no cables at all and can connect your device inside arm rest unit.

Now time to enjoy my favorite music via my IPhone through my stereo :)
SOLD - BLACK SOY 92

Offline Madone_si

• I live here
« Reply #58 on: 02 April 2012, 03:26 »
The last step procedure of re-installing the headlight units to the car and putting back the Air duct and engine cover, I am still writing up, but will publish it soon.

Achtuning visit cleared my CEL error going to APR II+, so happy now.
SOLD - BLACK SOY 92

Offline Madone_si

• I live here
« Reply #59 on: 14 May 2012, 04:27 »
So two jobs completed today, fixed 65'' TV, replaced capacitors on motherboard, so happy for that to be done! :) and fixed rear hatch door that holds the Emergency triangle;

There is a plastic latch that is known for breaking over time, so quick pick up from Local Audi Dealer yesterday ($10!) for part and onto replacing it today :)

The issue!

The New part!

off comes the old part!

Compare old and new parts

You just push on the new part

All done

End result

Also took picture of RS4 Wheels with center installed, going to get tires installed later this week. In two minds if to keep or sell....... but I really do like the finish on them and Dave did an outstanding job.
« Last Edit: 14 May 2012, 04:30 by Madone_si »
SOLD - BLACK SOY 92