Author Topic: Wheel center caps  (Read 2645 times)

Offline mossy69

• GTI forum regular
  • 2014 gtd carbon grey pro nav dyn audio keyless wp
Wheel center caps
« on: 03 July 2021, 14:52 »
Hi there in after some new golf Gtd wheel centre caps was wondering if anyone has bought any cheaper ones than the dealership

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Re: Wheel center caps
« Reply #1 on: 03 July 2021, 16:12 »
I think some VW dealers may have online websites or sell via eBay. Those that do have an online presence may sell them a bit cheaper than you’d pay if you bought them over the counter at the dealers. Some independent eBay sellers also sell the genuine article.

I’d personally avoid the cheap copies as the quality can be questionable and the chrome effect VW emblem can take on the appearance of white worm corrosion, necessitating premature replacement.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 03 July 2021, 22:46 »
Steer clear of the cheapo ebay copies. They're often made from hard and brittle plastic, and the shiny logo is exposed to the elements.
7.5 GTD

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 04 July 2021, 13:51 »
As above buy the genuine ones they last longer and look better, from memory they're £12-£14 a pop or £100 if you want the fancy spinny ones.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline martin998877

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 09 August 2021, 12:35 »
Do you have to remove the wheel from the car to push the old caps out? Or can they be prised out with the wheel still fitted? With a small screwdriver or something?

Obviously new ones are pushed in from the outside of the wheel, it's the removal of the old one's I'm asking about.

Thanks
Golf GTi Mark 7 owner

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #5 on: 09 August 2021, 13:19 »
If the old ones are going in the bin anyway, I'd just carefully drill a hole (about the same size as the ones on the nut covers) and use the metal hook tool to get them off.

Safer then maybe taking the paint off the wheel.
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 09 August 2021, 13:50 »
Do you have to remove the wheel from the car to push the old caps out? Or can they be prised out with the wheel still fitted? With a small screwdriver or something?

Obviously new ones are pushed in from the outside of the wheel, it's the removal of the old one's I'm asking about.

Thanks

I certainly wouldn’t prise them out with anything like a screwdriver if your alloys are diamond cut and the diamond cut surface extends right up to the centre cap. Damage to the lacquered surface from a screwdriver or similar tool is likely to result in the onset of white worm corrosion.

If you’re not removing the wheels to push the caps out from the reverse side, the method that @Gnasher has suggested is the safest. Before drilling the hole, I’d also stick a piece of masking tape on the face of the centre cap so when you start drilling, the drill bit is less likely to slip.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 09 August 2021, 14:00 »
Ah I guess I'm the only one that uses a screwdriver and hammers it through and then remove it with the nut cap removal tool in the boot.

If not just wait until next tyre rotation and do it properly.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #8 on: 13 August 2021, 17:35 »
Ah I guess I'm the only one that uses a screwdriver and hammers it through and then remove it with the nut cap removal tool in the boot.

If not just wait until next tyre rotation and do it properly.

Hadn't thought of that one, but it'd work - the same tool as I'd have used but a different hole making philosophy!
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!

Offline martin998877

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 14 August 2021, 10:24 »
I used a blunt kitchen knife, levering against the centre cap outwards, and they came out with virtually no force at all. No pressure or marking to the alloyse, no mvisible marking to the centre cap either.

Makes me surprised they don't all get pinched!

Anyway, definitely no need to take the wheel off to get them out.
Golf GTi Mark 7 owner