Author Topic: PSA - Rear arch rust spot  (Read 3234 times)

Offline willni

• I live here
PSA - Rear arch rust spot
« on: 30 June 2021, 16:15 »
Noticed this spot of rust beginning on my old GTD (30k miles) today on the rear arch (door side), I've seen another member comment about this previously and feel like it may become quite a common thing.

Does anyone have an ETKA drawing of how the rear arch liner is installed, and I think I'll be looking to make a plastic plate for my car to try and avoid this chipping area.

Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline My other womans a vw.

• GTI forum regular
Re: PSA - Rear arch rust spot
« Reply #1 on: 30 June 2021, 19:01 »
Chipping area?-as in stone chips??

Offline Mikeyd1

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 30 June 2021, 19:44 »
A plastic guard for this area would be ideal , it’s a vulnerable spot .
2017 gti dsg white silver, 3door, dcc , Brescia alloys, pro Nav dvd ,dynaudio, dcc . Rear tints

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 30 June 2021, 21:05 »
Just had this start on my mk6 (2010) 87k. Treated with rust remover, primer, top coat and underbody sealer and further top coat. Do not think it is stone damage, just winter weather, wear and tear.
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline Pete-r36

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 01 July 2021, 14:43 »
It’ll probably be too tricky for ppf but you could put some clear plastidip on the area to keep the water away and give it extra protection

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 02 July 2021, 07:53 »
Chipping area?-as in stone chips??

Yes. It does look like the cause might have been a stone chip.

Not a mk7 / mk7.5, but I suspect the wheel arch liner is attached in the same way as it is on the mk6 Golf - held in place by a number of torx head screws. There’s a YouTube video of a mk6 Golf GTI rear wheel arch liner being removed at the link below;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=f9T_9RtU0z4

I notice that the black plastic sill extension doesn’t seem to sit flush with the sill (you can see the fixing strip behind the sill extension in the picture - on the two Polo GTI’s I’ve owned with the same style and design of plastic sill extensions, the fixing strip is completely concealed).

It might’ve just been poorly fitted in the factory, or maybe they’re all like that on the mk7 / mk7.5 Golf GTI / GTD?. Alternatively, if @willni hasn’t owned the car from new, that gap between the plastic sill extension and the metal sill might suggest the sill extension has been removed / refitted at some point prior to @willni owning the vehicle - maybe for paint repairs to be carried out on that lower corner of the wheel arch? If so, then if poor or substandard prep work has been carried out prior to repainting, or repainting has been done in an unsuitable environment that’s not temperature / humidity controlled (SMART repair?), could that mean the new paint in that area is a weak point that’s more susceptible to stone impact damage?
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 03 July 2021, 07:48 »

It might’ve just been poorly fitted in the factory, or maybe they’re all like that on the mk7 / mk7.5 Golf GTI / GTD?.

Actually I replaced it because my dog decided to chew it :whistle:, so I must admit it was poor fitting on my behalf. They're surprisingly stiff plastic clips on them with fragile plastic so was afraid of breaking it, I'll make to to push it in next time I see it (and no my dog hasn't attacked the new car...yet :wink:)

It’ll probably be too tricky for ppf but you could put some clear plastidip on the area to keep the water away and give it extra protection

I'd agree ppf probably won't work there due to the shape, clear plastidip would be a very good shout.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline Mikeyd1

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 08 July 2021, 12:49 »
The paint on mine is thin down there, so I added a touch of vw rubber type underseal which can be painted in 3 hours.

2017 gti dsg white silver, 3door, dcc , Brescia alloys, pro Nav dvd ,dynaudio, dcc . Rear tints

Offline Mikeyd1

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 09 July 2021, 14:24 »
A bit crued but the idea is sound. Also did some spats for front as the wings are also subject to abrasions.

« Last Edit: 09 July 2021, 14:43 by Mikeyd1 »