Author Topic: General Question - E10 Fuel  (Read 7740 times)

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
General Question - E10 Fuel
« on: 28 June 2021, 09:38 »
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry-news/government-plans-e10-petrol-roll-out-september-2021

Not sure if the GTI is run on unleaded opposed to super unleaded? so this maybe a general question, and hoping some are a little more informed to this and can offer some good insight and guidance.

Wife car is 14 plate 185 BHP Black Edition and presently she just fills with standard unleaded and understand that this would be compatible with E10 and will run ok, but running ok and actually being the correct fuel for long term engine health maybe two different things?

It says that E5 will still be available for older cars but imagine it will be a one or two pump option at a station and E10 will be the dominant.

Is super unleaded maybe an alternative option for wife car if for some reason E5 was not availale? or is that too much for 185 BHP engine.

So any advice around fuel and the changes be much appreciated from the more informed.
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline Rudedog

• Here all the time
Re: General Question - E10 Fuel
« Reply #1 on: 28 June 2021, 09:56 »
I've seen this on other motoring sites for some time but I've only recently heard the radio info, I'm just inside the area covered by TfL and they are warning you check if your car if it's before 2011!

AFAIK even the SUL petrol will go to E10, I think there only one or two companies (??ESSO) that still have non-bio SUL, otherwise you'll have no choice.

From what I gather turbo engines produce more power on bio-fuels but at a risk of eating your fuel lines on the older cars!

2019 Golf GTi PP DSG, Isaac Blue.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 28 June 2021, 10:00 »
The Auto Express article states that all post-2011 (petrol engined) cars are legally required to be able to use E10 petrol.

On my car, the sticker inside the fuel flap has both the E5 and E10 symbols on it so VW are stating that either can be used. I’d assume that Audi’s equivalent sticker will also show both symbols. The article at the link in your post states that E10 is the standard petrol in a number of countries, including France and Germany, so there’ll be lots of 185 bhp Audi A1’s (seem to remember from your other posts that your Audi is an A1) and other manufacturers cars that are already running on E10 fuel. Whether there’ll be any detrimental long term effects, time will tell………..

Gov.uk website has an E10 fuel compatibility checker as there are some older models of cars that aren’t able to use E10 fuel. Here’s the list of non compatible Audis;

https://check-vehicle-compatibility-e10-petrol.service.gov.uk/manufacturer/Audi

As for using super unleaded - I ran my 1.8 192ps previous generation Polo GTI on Tesco Momentum super unleaded from day one until I sold it 4.5 years later. It ran without any issues.
« Last Edit: 28 June 2021, 10:02 by SRGTD »
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 28 June 2021, 10:40 »
The Auto Express article states that all post-2011 (petrol engined) cars are legally required to be able to use E10 petrol.

On my car, the sticker inside the fuel flap has both the E5 and E10 symbols on it so VW are stating that either can be used. I’d assume that Audi’s equivalent sticker will also show both symbols. The article at the link in your post states that E10 is the standard petrol in a number of countries, including France and Germany, so there’ll be lots of 185 bhp Audi A1’s (seem to remember from your other posts that your Audi is an A1) and other manufacturers cars that are already running on E10 fuel. Whether there’ll be any detrimental long term effects, time will tell………..

Gov.uk website has an E10 fuel compatibility checker as there are some older models of cars that aren’t able to use E10 fuel. Here’s the list of non compatible Audis;

https://check-vehicle-compatibility-e10-petrol.service.gov.uk/manufacturer/Audi

As for using super unleaded - I ran my 1.8 192ps previous generation Polo GTI on Tesco Momentum super unleaded from day one until I sold it 4.5 years later. It ran without any issues.

My concern was not the fact car will move ok, it was more the long term engine health and performance impacts? however the context of other european countries, particularly the VAG homeland being on E10 already does seem to make this a non issue of concern as sure ramifications to my concerns would have been well voiced already.

Yes it is an A1 !85BHP and its considered fine on that checker, but may consider putting super unleaded in it from time to time.

Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 28 June 2021, 10:44 »
I've seen this on other motoring sites for some time but I've only recently heard the radio info, I'm just inside the area covered by TfL and they are warning you check if your car if it's before 2011!

AFAIK even the SUL petrol will go to E10, I think there only one or two companies (??ESSO) that still have non-bio SUL, otherwise you'll have no choice.

From what I gather turbo engines produce more power on bio-fuels but at a risk of eating your fuel lines on the older cars!

Having looked into more today and seen a few comments on subject across other forums, it does seem to be a pre-2011 issue and majority of cars past that will have no issues both in running, performance and longevity - however its not uncommon to see many cars in the 07-11 plate range, and they could be quite compromised in getting E5 fuel (despite promises)
« Last Edit: 28 June 2021, 11:03 by Hertsman »

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 28 June 2021, 11:48 »

Having looked into more today and seen a few comments on subject across other forums, it does seem to be a pre-2011 issue and majority of cars past that will have no issues both in running, performance and longevity - however its not uncommon to see many cars in the 07-11 plate range, and they could be quite compromised in getting E5 fuel (despite promises)

"With the exception to those models listed below, which used the first generation FSI engines, E10 is cleared for use in all Volkswagen petrol engine vehicles.

Bora - 1.6 litre (81kW) FSI Saloon and Estate made from October 2001 to September 2005
Golf mark 4 - 1.6 litre (81kW) FSI made from November 2001 to May 2004
Golf mark 4 Estate - 1.6 litre (81kW) FSI made from October 2001 to October 2006
Golf mark 5 - 1.4 litre (66kW) FSI made from November 2003 to November 2004
Golf mark 5 - 1.6 litre (85kw) FSI made from August 2003 to May 2004
Golf mark 5 2.0 litre (110 kW) FSI made from January 2004 to May 2004
Lupo – 1.4 litre (77kW) FSI made from August 200 to November 2003
Polo – 1.4 litre (63kW) FSI made from February 2002 to June 2006
Touran – 1.6 litre (85kW) FSI made from November 2002 to May 2004
Touran – 2.0 litre (110kW) FSI made from October 2003 to May 2004"

So just keep to the right octane and you'll be fine eg 95, 97 or if you're luck enough to get it 98/99.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 28 June 2021, 14:24 »

"With the exception to those models listed below, which used the first generation FSI engines, E10 is cleared for use in all Volkswagen petrol engine vehicles.

Bora - 1.6 litre (81kW) FSI Saloon and Estate made from October 2001 to September 2005
Golf mark 4 - 1.6 litre (81kW) FSI made from November 2001 to May 2004
Golf mark 4 Estate - 1.6 litre (81kW) FSI made from October 2001 to October 2006
Golf mark 5 - 1.4 litre (66kW) FSI made from November 2003 to November 2004
Golf mark 5 - 1.6 litre (85kw) FSI made from August 2003 to May 2004
Golf mark 5 2.0 litre (110 kW) FSI made from January 2004 to May 2004
Lupo – 1.4 litre (77kW) FSI made from August 200 to November 2003
Polo – 1.4 litre (63kW) FSI made from February 2002 to June 2006
Touran – 1.6 litre (85kW) FSI made from November 2002 to May 2004
Touran – 2.0 litre (110kW) FSI made from October 2003 to May 2004"

So just keep to the right octane and you'll be fine eg 95, 97 or if you're luck enough to get it 98/99.

Proves this one slipped past me, as was somehow correlating the change with just standard unleaded and that it was somehow lesser and different fuel - but E10 is replacement for both standard AND super unleaded and has the exact same octane ratings, its just the composite of the fuel is different.

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 28 June 2021, 22:14 »
Proves this one slipped past me, as was somehow correlating the change with just standard unleaded and that it was somehow lesser and different fuel - but E10 is replacement for both standard AND super unleaded and has the exact same octane ratings, its just the composite of the fuel is different.

Well yes and no.

Only 95 Octane fuel is changing from 95% Unleaded & up to 5% BioFuel Ethanol to 90% Unleaded and 10% up to BioFuel Ethanol. It won't really make a difference to engines, just to the fuel lines which it could rust, which is why they say where it's compatible as it could cause fires.

97+ Octane will remain the same with the same ethanol added to it. I believe some 99 fuels have zero ethanol but we don't get 98+ Octane in Northern Ireland so can't comment.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 29 June 2021, 08:18 »
[quote author=willni

97+ Octane will remain the same with the same ethanol added to it. I believe some 99 fuels have zero ethanol but we don't get 98+ Octane in Northern Ireland so can't comment.
[/quote]
That is my read on 97+ . Also read that E10 fuel is less efficient overall so less mpg.
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 29 June 2021, 08:46 »
[quote author=willni

That is my read on 97+ . Also read that E10 fuel is less efficient overall so less mpg.
[/quote]

Yes, I also read that but for some reason I doubt we will be getting reduced fuel duty to offset the price increase.

"King highlighted a Government impact assessment, which claimed: 'Introducing E10 will add to fuel costs paid by motorists. Moving from E5 to E10 is estimated to reduce pump price petrol costs by 0.2 pence per litre. However, as the energy content of the fuel will also decrease, motorists will have to buy more litres of fuel. Overall fuel costs for petrol cars are therefore estimated to increase by 1.6% as a result of moving from E5 to E10." https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-9296275/Fuel-stations-switch-greener-E10-petrol-September.html

I read that E10 loses around 3-4% of the miles vs E5, which to a GTI average tank of 300miles (I'm currently seeing 260 on BP Ultimate 97) would be around 9-12 miles a tank.

My best advice to actually offset the efficiency for those using E10 is get the BPme app or similar petrol station app (Shell i think has one) collect the points every fill up and get your free tank of fuel every year.  You also get super cheap coffees with it  :wink: