Author Topic: Favourite design features on the GTi?  (Read 2073 times)

Offline martin998877

• GTI forum regular
Favourite design features on the GTi?
« on: 07 June 2021, 07:57 »
I've just gone from a Mk7 to a 7.5.

I'm very impressed that when it gets to about 50 miles left in the tank and the amber fuel warning,  that the fuel gauge changes to show the estimated miles remaining in the tank.  Simple but useful, shows somene has thought about what a driver needs.

The other is the manouvre braking, I saw it in the driver aids menu and wondered how it worked.  I was reversing the other day and suddenly the brakes slammed on, reventing me hitting a bush behind me.  The bush obviously wouldn't have done any harm, but that system would have saved a couple of minor scrapes that I had in the last car.

The final thing is the variance between selected and actual ACC speed shown on the speedometer in red or green, and the 'no undertaking' graphic.

What design features are you all impressed by?
Golf GTi Mark 7 owner

Online Watts

• Forum addict
Re: Favourite design features on the GTi?
« Reply #1 on: 07 June 2021, 08:55 »
I like being able to have the nav map in the instruments display.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 07 June 2021, 22:39 »
It’ll sound trite, but the golf ball gear knob and tartan seats.
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 08 June 2021, 05:33 »

I’ve had my 7.5 for 2.5 years and the manoeuvre braking still makes me jump if I reverse out of my inclined drive to quickly, but yes, it’s useful.

It’s a general point but I think the combination of touch screen and buttons is spot on, I have my infotainment screen set up so I have Boost Pressure, Engine KW and oil temperature on the central screen and range on the instrument panel.
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 08 June 2021, 07:30 »
Perhaps not all related to the MK7, but for me:

Reverse camera concealed behind the rear badge

Arm rest which is adjustable for both length and height

Red line which goes though headlights

Subtleness of the body kit and general stealthy appearance

Overall driving position and ergonomics which even after 9 years of the MK7 are still spot on

Active info display of the MK7.5 which although not as configurable as some are still a model of clarity and simplicity

Overall ride quality which with 19” alloys and DCC I’ve not found matched yet with any other hot hatch or saloon.
« Last Edit: 08 June 2021, 07:33 by Sootchucker »
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 08 June 2021, 07:57 »
Forgot about the reversing camera - used to have one on a previous car that was a nightmare to keep clean, one on the Golf is pretty cool.
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 08 June 2021, 10:39 »
Was one of loudest complainers to the digital display as really loved dials, and was reluctant adopter as moved from my MK 7 R but huge convert to the driver display, to have the navigation in direct view has been a major plus, and the clarity and fluidity of the information is excellent

The media unit is a huge lift from the MK 7, a glass touchscreen with again excellent resolution, and much more intuitive menus, and as someone said already, the mix of touch and switches is about right, with all the daily used items such as heated seats and climate all physical interactions, as keep eyes on road.

Like the auto high beam, works amazingly well, always expect to be flashed by oncoming traffic, but that flash never comes, and the beam overall is much better than the MK 7, it creates a tunnel of light on some of the darkest B road conditions.

Think the MK 7 is maybe even on its own in making the 5 door look like a 3 door if know what mean, the 5 door does not ruin the lines, which for someone who doggedly stayed with 3 doors year on year despite the inconvenience is a huge plus.

Driving a TCR, do feel that have got the best of the MK 7.5 as model ran out, at the model evolved best, with most of the options, plus all the little touches of the TCR styling, the Akra and the near 300 BHP

Must have on any Golf is the DCC for me, tangible difference depending on how wish to drive, worth every penny.

It has a DSG lever, now an extinct beast, but when you drive a car, you want interaction, and even notching S to D to M and back again is satisfying with the well engineered DSG lever, its a feature, so as much as sure the little knob thing works just the same, and you get used to it, its a retro step for engagement

Think VW have done a great job on the MK 8 R and Clubsport (less so the GTI, as that front, yuk!) and the MK 8 R is obviously a little rocket ship, but with the blend of technology in the MK 7.5 and ageless styling, the MK 7.5 is a hard package to beat and if anyone is looking at cars now, save your £ on a new MK 8, get a late, loaded edition MK 7.5 as you not be going wrong 

Genuinely struggle to find anything not appreciate, the only add would like is a similar rear spoiler to the new MK 8 Clubsport.
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline Lordie

• Here all the time
« Reply #7 on: 08 June 2021, 14:19 »
I love having to take the wheel arch liners off along with half the front bumper just to change a headlight bulb

Online Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 08 June 2021, 14:25 »
I love having to take the wheel arch liners off along with half the front bumper just to change a headlight bulb

Same here, was one of the best 3 hours of my life :laugh: Having said that, I bet the Golf is not the only car that offers that particular opportunity for personal improvement...
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 08 June 2021, 15:01 »

I’ve had my 7.5 for 2.5 years and the manoeuvre braking still makes me jump if I reverse out of my inclined drive to quickly, but yes, it’s useful.

It’s a general point but I think the combination of touch screen and buttons is spot on, I have my infotainment screen set up so I have Boost Pressure, Engine KW and oil temperature on the central screen and range on the instrument panel.

Had no idea this existed, but it was ticked, and so presume in operation, but just tried to pull up to wifes car, beeps screaming, in the red zone and no hint of the car braking, so bailed! presume you have to be manoeuvring at some speed for it to activate, and that if you a numpty enough to hit something with rear view camera and sensors, thats on you :)
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC