Author Topic: Best source to buy an OBD11 from  (Read 1350 times)

Offline huddo

• Not said much yet
Best source to buy an OBD11 from
« on: 19 May 2021, 20:24 »
As title really, where have you peeps bought your OBD11 from, think I’m going to buy a standard one and upgrade to pro via the app but where of who from please and thank you.
« Last Edit: 19 May 2021, 20:37 by huddo »
2020 Pure Grey Mk7.5 GTI TCR

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Best source to buy an OBD11 from
« Reply #1 on: 19 May 2021, 20:31 »
Yes, buy the dongle thing and then pay for the pro upgrade through the Google play or apple store. Basic software is a free download.

If you use android, you can buy the older version of the hardware too.
I bought my dongle from amazon, free delivery with prime  :cool:
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Lordie

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 19 May 2021, 20:46 »
Good timing, I just bought one the other week (but I did get the Next Gen one which works on iOS)

You can order through Amazon but I found they were between £20-£40 more expensive than buying direct from the OBDeleven website. What I did was buy from the website and then select 'Fulfilled by Amazon' at checkout as my delivery option and this means you get it in 3-5 working days instead of ordering it direct from their site and waiting 3 weeks for it to arrive from abroad. Saved myself about £20 ordering it that way instead of on Amazon or any other website. Ebay was also particularly overpriced.

Not sure how much it is on the app but upgrading to Pro by buying the activation from their website is £21 with free delivery (as it's sent to you by email). That also saves you more money on top as buying the Pro version of the device in one go is more expensive than buying the standard device and a Pro activation separately

Really messed up pricing system but I figured it out eventually

Edit// Pro Activation is £21.99 on their website or £30.99 in the app
« Last Edit: 20 May 2021, 21:42 by Lordie »

Offline huddo

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 19 May 2021, 21:28 »
Good timing, I just bought one the other week (but I did get the Next Gen one which works on iOS)

You can order through Amazon but I found they were between £20-£40 more expensive than buying direct from the OBDeleven website. What I did was buy from the website and then select 'Fulfilled by Amazon' at checkout as my delivery option and this means you get it in 3-5 working days instead of ordering it direct from their site and waiting 3 weeks for it to arrive from abroad. Saved myself about £20 ordering it that way instead of on Amazon or any other website. Ebay was also particularly overpriced.

Not sure how much it is on the app but upgrading to Pro by buying the activation from their website is £21 with free delivery (as it's sent to you by email). That also saves you more money on top as buying the Pro version of the device in one go is more expensive than buying the standard device and a Pro activation separately

Really messed up pricing system but I figured it out eventually

Thank you. That’s really helpful info, do you get any credits when you buy the activation code from their website ?

Offline Lordie

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 19 May 2021, 21:36 »
I'm not sure if you get any credits to be honest. Because what I did was download the OBDeleven app on my phone and started collecting up credits before the device even arrived :grin:.
Set up an account and all you have to do is click Profile > Balance > Free Credits. In case you don't know, you can get 5 free credits per day by watching 5 quick adverts. Not too bad and I do that while I'm doing something else. Most ads can be skipped after 5 seconds but 1 or 2 may make you watch the full 20-30 seconds. The credits really quickly add up

Offline huddo

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 19 May 2021, 22:20 »
Thanks Lordie

Offline nunchuck

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 03 July 2021, 17:34 »
I'm not sure if you get any credits to be honest. Because what I did was download the OBDeleven app on my phone and started collecting up credits before the device even arrived :grin:.
Set up an account and all you have to do is click Profile > Balance > Free Credits. In case you don't know, you can get 5 free credits per day by watching 5 quick adverts. Not too bad and I do that while I'm doing something else. Most ads can be skipped after 5 seconds but 1 or 2 may make you watch the full 20-30 seconds. The credits really quickly add up

Hi. Thinking of getting obd11 for my 7.5 gti.  How’s it going for you done many changes

Also some. Guys are saying get Carista   System.  So unsure now.  Did you look into carista

Regards

Offline Vwjap

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 03 July 2021, 19:51 »
Bit late now there both subscriptions services now

Offline nunchuck

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 04 July 2021, 13:23 »
Don’t mind paying subs now and again

Cheers

Offline Lordie

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 04 July 2021, 15:33 »
Hi. Thinking of getting obd11 for my 7.5 gti.  How’s it going for you done many changes

Also some. Guys are saying get Carista   System.  So unsure now.  Did you look into carista

Regards

Done a few things like change the number of lane change indicator flashes from 3 to 4, and I've turned off stop/start as my battery may be dodgy. I plan to tweak the volume of the soundactor as it's very loud on sport has a horrible vibration sound sometimes.

Besides that I can't say I've use to too much to change things. It's excellent as a cheap fault code reader for basic diagnostic, monitoring batter charger level, and you can use it to code a bet batter yourself (pro required for that).

The only reason I got the OBD11 over the Carista was because it was clear that you could code a new battery with it. I think you can on the Carista but fund little info online.

Best thing to do is look at the features list for each, watch some YouTube videos of them, and decide if it's something you need.