Author Topic: Harness vs standard seat belt  (Read 3137 times)

Offline euro dave

• GTI forum regular
Harness vs standard seat belt
« on: 14 January 2009, 13:07 »
We've bought some Corbeau Forza bucket seats for the MK2, and are considering 3" harnesses and where to mount them.

However, looking at this (very useful) guide it appears to me that perhaps we're better off using the standard seat belts with something like a G-Lock (?) rather than mounting the harnesses incorrectly.

http://www.schrothracing.com/docs/Competition_Instructions.pdf

I used to be involved with crash analysis on FE models, and I can see the reasons why mounting is vital, yet there is a lot of misinformation out there.  Even the idea of a roll cage confuses me as flexibility in a car body in certain places is vital to save too much energy hitting the occupants.

Without a roll cage there looks to be a limited number of options for a harness.  Even with a roll cage it looks difficult. 

My personal conclusion is to stick with the manufacturer's seat belt for now.

Any advice welcome, both for cages and harnesses (and seats). 

VeeDubGTI16v

Re: Harness vs standard seat belt
« Reply #1 on: 14 January 2009, 13:11 »
i agree, im not putting harnesses in until i have a proper cage with a harness bar. i feel supported enough with a bucket seat and the standard belt for now

Offline euro dave

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 14 January 2009, 13:35 »
With the standard belt does the bucket seat force the lap belt to ride higher?

Even a normal 6 point cage seems to need a horizontal at mid-height to mount the harnesses to.  Lots of expense.  Perhaps a customised 1/2 cage is the ideal option.

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
« Reply #3 on: 14 January 2009, 13:41 »
I ran harnesses in my mini and I loved them. Luckily the mini rear beanch design allows them to fit within specs as you can mount the top straps to the rear beanch belt mounting positions. Once correclty fitted and tightened up you can corner so much harder as you feel truly connected to the car.

Badly/incorrectly fitted however and you're risking your life.

nick

VeeDubGTI16v

« Reply #4 on: 14 January 2009, 16:01 »
it does sit a bit higher but you can pull it tight and then its ok. i could do with one of those cg locks really to keep it locked tight

Offline euro dave

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 14 January 2009, 16:52 »
Yeah, last thing you want is to submarine out of the seat.

Offline Ivor Mk4 Turbo

• Forum addict
  • 2014 PP GTi Manual
« Reply #6 on: 15 January 2009, 00:05 »
For nothing more than track days, I rate the CG-Lock very highly indeed. :afro:
Current Car:- 2014 GTI PP manual, white.

Make way for..... 'The Silver Bullet'! 227 bhp, KO3-S'd AGU, R-TECH Spec 2 map 8), Forge 007P, Blueflame Turbo-back, Eibach -30mm's, YellowStuff front/RedStuff rear pads, Goodridge braided lines, TT Short-shifter, R32 Dogbone, TT W/B bushes, Forge TIP, G60 fly/VR6 clutch, 5.5 ltr washer bottle,

Car now for sale >>> http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=140614.0

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #7 on: 16 January 2009, 17:31 »
I've said my piece to Dave on this already.

There is no point installing harnesses, unless you have a full cage, with harness bars, idealling keeping the angle of the belt out the back of the seat within 10degrees to the bar.

A 'customised half cage' is pretty much a complete waste of time and effort.  It provides nowhere near the level of protection that a 6 or 10 point cage will.  It also won't provide the chassis stiffness which is a huge bonus of a proper cage.

Any cage in your car really means you should be using helmets inside the car at all times, as you have various metal bars much closer to your head.

It's a complete package - 5/6 point 3" harness + bucket seats + cage = excellent track car.

It also = crap road car, but these are the choices we have to make.
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline danny_p

• Forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 16 January 2009, 18:23 »
the day the full cage is orderd is the day the 294 degree cams go in  :evil:    and the same day my daily gets a towbar  :sad:
all the VW's have gone bar 1.