Author Topic: Software issues  (Read 18570 times)

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
Re: Software issues
« Reply #60 on: 05 February 2021, 14:50 »
I've seen in the manual about the rear camera having markings that can guide you into a parking space. Different coloured boxes meaning different things. Maybe I'll pay attention when I'm actually trying it.
sounds like they've fitted highline cameras to the mk8. You only previously got highline if you specced park assist.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #61 on: 05 February 2021, 14:57 »
I've seen in the manual about the rear camera having markings that can guide you into a parking space. Different coloured boxes meaning different things. Maybe I'll pay attention when I'm actually trying it.
sounds like they've fitted highline cameras to the mk8. You only previously got highline if you specced park assist.

Maybe, like a lot of VW documentation its not exactly clear if you only get it with park assist (which i don't have)
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline miromen

• Not said much yet
« Reply #62 on: 06 February 2021, 14:22 »
Parking assist? Do you have parking assist?

Only rear camera and parking sensor.

does your camera have dynamic guidance lines?

Offline Tricky tree

• Not said much yet
  • Golf Gti DSG, dolphin grey.
« Reply #63 on: 06 February 2021, 14:58 »
Had a phone call from the dealers yesterday evening to say that the steering wheel had arrived and had been fitted. Collected the car this morning and on the 3 mile drive back home there were no issues! The courtesy car, Mk8 in Life trim, had proper buttons on the steering wheel. It included a heating element and was leather bound. It struck me, firstly how much better the buttons looked, felt and operated and secondly is it practical, possible and desirable to fit the wheel from Life trim in a Gti/CS/R?

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #64 on: 08 February 2021, 09:23 »
is it practical, possible and desirable to fit the wheel from Life trim in a Gti/CS/R?

Hard to say, its whether it has all of the buttons needed to operate the GTI.

It would probably devalue the car a fair bit and I'd imagine VW would want about 1200 quid for the part and a day's labour to swap it over.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #65 on: 08 February 2021, 09:26 »
There's a guy on another forum who's post I thought I'd share here:

Volkswagen Germany were very open about the software issues that they knew full well were going to cause all sorts of problems but they were committed to production. It is an extraordinarily complex story but in simple terms they had ordered all the parts for Golf 8 (including all the other models and brands the platform underpins) and could not continue to build the Golf 7. The dealers were supposed to tell customers it would be a problem but I have not found anyone who was told, I understand why but it was wrong to do it.

If that is true (and it would be hard to prove that it was) that's pretty terrible.

Having problems that are discovered by users after the first ones are delivered is one thing, knowingly releasing a faulty/unfinished product is unacceptable IMHO.

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #66 on: 08 February 2021, 09:52 »
I think “ extraordinarily complex story “ is the standout.

It will cause massive harm to their reputation to release a product that they know will cause problems, I’m sure they won’t have taken the decision easily.

2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #67 on: 08 February 2021, 11:58 »
It was quite well known in the industry that VW were struggling with its software before Golf 8 went on sale. The car was delayed from going into full production because of it. I'm not defending VW, clearly they should have been more honest and they've created a minefield for customers.
7.5 GTD

Offline ub7rm

• I live here
« Reply #68 on: 08 February 2021, 14:14 »
Had a phone call from the dealers yesterday evening to say that the steering wheel had arrived and had been fitted. Collected the car this morning and on the 3 mile drive back home there were no issues! The courtesy car, Mk8 in Life trim, had proper buttons on the steering wheel. It included a heating element and was leather bound. It struck me, firstly how much better the buttons looked, felt and operated and secondly is it practical, possible and desirable to fit the wheel from Life trim in a Gti/CS/R?

Its a relatively easy job on most older VW's and Audi's to swap out the module with the buttons rather than having to swap the whole steering wheel.  Easy to put back to standard as well. 

Of course it may be the case that coding is required in which case you are likely stuffed as I understand the mk8 has more security to stop people messing about with VAGCOM etc - but worth a trawl through etka first to see if the parts look compatible and then... give it a go?
2020 BMW 128ti
2017 Golf GTD Estate

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #69 on: 08 February 2021, 16:01 »
Even more reason to buy a 1 series...  :whistle:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner