Author Topic: OBD11/VCP etc vs Golf Mk8 SFD (Schutz Fahrzeug Diagnose)  (Read 1557 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Thought I'd post up a topic about this.

On the MQB2020 platform (eg Golf Mk8) there is a new security system in the diagnostics interface called SFD.

This is a security mechanism that locks away access to much (not all) of the things people are used to fiddling with on cars like the Mk7.x.

It comes about obstensibly because the EU are concerned about with the rise of automation and connectivity in vehicles that access to configuration could result in death and injury. (This is fact)

The SFD system is "gatekeeper" to an array of the settings and uses a one time password access control system. To gain access to SFD protected elements you need a token generated by VW themselves using their GEKO system. Only authorised dealers and qualified independents have access to GEKO accounts. The tokens are VIN specific and have a 90 minute life.

Additionally GEKO records of a change taking place and who's GEKO account was used are logged.

It seems unlikely that anyone will overcome this barrier, this is the same PKI style technology used for things like secure websites.

There is more here as well, there are things which VW have openly told us about their ability to unlock options remotely using a built in "shop" in your Mk8. Things like Matrix IQ (not standard on non performance Mk8's in the UK)...

This is actually the tip of the iceberg, it seems there is much more to come and that all sorts of hardware is actually present in Mk8's and that in the future they may enable unlocking it for a fee, of course.

For example NavPro is the same hardware as basic Nav in the UK.

Why can't you get maps on both screens at once OR EVEN JUST ON THE AID without NavPro? Because VW have disabled it.

Bascially, SFD prevents people from activating things VW might want to sell you at some point.

Just to show you what could be changed.... these Italians have modded a Golf Life:

https://youtu.be/HpQgNuwxd94

(sorry its all in Italian, watch the pictures though)

They used GEKO to get a key to do that, before you ask.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline ub7rm

• I live here
Re: OBD11/VCP etc vs Golf Mk8 SFD (Schutz Fahrzeug Diagnose)
« Reply #1 on: 20 January 2021, 13:00 »
I think thats the way things are heading - eventually most cars will have all the hardware installed but options are software enabled post purchase.  May be part of the logic of the all digital interface - no need to add a physical button when it can be added later by coding.

Simplified manufacturing enabling greater economies of scale whilst retaining the ability to generate revenue for options even beyond the first owner. 
2020 BMW 128ti
2017 Golf GTD Estate

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 20 January 2021, 13:26 »
Yes, I kinda get the idea of the economies of scale.

And if some features are literally software based using existing hardware sensors then it does make sense to enable an online purchase.

Makes less sense if it was something like heated seats that were disabled unless you unlock them...

I think also this is part of the "as a service" (AAS) thing thats big in non-automotive areas. You don't want to only make money from selling physical things, you need a recurring revenue stream for using it. Possibly that revenue stream is bigger than the hardware sell.... think Iphone or Xbox
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 20 January 2021, 16:46 »
It all ties in nicely with the snowballing trend towards EV’s and all that goes with them.

(Roll on the JCW F56 Electric!)
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 20 January 2021, 16:49 »
To be honest, its all heading for Mobility As A Service (MAAS) which is joins up everything I said above about continuous revenue streams. Car makers get £xxxxxx from you maybe once every four years. If you all paid £xxx a month.... and that included charging and servicing.... it not only spreads out the revenue into predictable trends but it also encourages customer stickyness.

Take all of this and think about mobile phones.... you get a phone, you get network, you get some features depending on how much you pay each month, pick from a menu, roll over one contract into the next. Logical next step from PCP.

Anyway, the main point of my thread was actually to tell you all that OBD11 mods are a thing of the past.

« Last Edit: 20 January 2021, 16:55 by fredgroves »

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 20 January 2021, 17:03 »
Seems like the time has come to finally sell my VCDS cable then  :cry:

Fred, you really should receive a BSc for your irrepressible car research
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 20 January 2021, 17:16 »
I'm a sort of engineer. I have to understand everything around me its sort of OCD.... sorry if its a bit annoying (it annoys Mrs G!)

I decided I might as well write down my inner ramblings in case any of you can benefit.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 20 January 2021, 17:33 »
Far from boring, it’s hugely informative but it’s the level of research that impresses me most!
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner