Author Topic: Cutting Out When Cold  (Read 2240 times)

Offline juicey

• Not said much yet
Cutting Out When Cold
« on: 05 July 2023, 08:41 »
Hi all

I have a 8V PB engine and recently changed the coolant temperature sensor as I was occasionally getting rough running / cutting out when cold, the new sensor has made the situation worse so seems obvious place to start checking.

The old sensor had a blue body whilst the replacement is black so I’m going to look into this, guess there’s lots of posts on rough running but just checking if there is a specific sensor or how can I check the functionality of the sensor (multimeter?)
The wiring loom plug had broken so the connection is via insulated spade terminals (anyone have the blue wiring plug cut?)

I’m currently off road as I’m replacing front wish bones and engine mounts so will also replace fuel filter as in my 17 years of ownership it’s not been changed, will let you know when the rough running / cutting out is sorted

Offline juicey

• Not said much yet
Re: Cutting Out When Cold
« Reply #1 on: 05 July 2023, 20:25 »
Update

Just tested the coolant temperature sensor using a voltmeter, failed therefore getting a new sensor, managed to repair my old wiring plug so just need to solder the wires together, looking good.

Offline juicey

• Not said much yet
Re: Cutting Out When Cold
« Reply #2 on: 07 July 2023, 19:00 »
Issue resolved, the new sensor I bought was black and not the correct one for my car, fitted a new blue CTS and the car starts and runs fine, also sorted the wiring plug by stripping down a spare plug and interchanging the terminals inside.

Just fuel filter to finish off.