Author Topic: What have you done to your Golf today?  (Read 601378 times)

Offline bob23

• GTI forum regular
  • Hi, for those of you that don't know, I'm a tw@!
Re: What have you done to your Golf today?
« Reply #5660 on: 21 May 2012, 17:57 »
Tried to get the hub off to remove the bolt that was stuck in it after the ball joint bolt snapped, couldn't get the hub nut to undo so took the driveshaft off the gearbox and took it to a garage who struggled to undo it, then they hammered the driveshaft out and f**ked the thread, so now I need to replace it.

Tried to get the front suspension off, but can't get the top nut to undo, just keeps turning the strut, even put mole grips on the strut and a hex bit in the top but just broke the hex bit and the mole grips can't grip it tight enough, they just slip.

Getting pissed off with this thing now, everything I try to do is 10x harder than any other car I have ever worked on, wish I had never bothered with it now!

Current cars 1995 Golf gti colour concept 2.0 8v 156,000 miles. bmw 316 1.9 129,000. yeah, life's good! :rolleyes:

Offline X4MGS

• I live here
  • VAG Parts SNOB!!!
« Reply #5661 on: 21 May 2012, 18:00 »
Cleaned the bird sh!t off th bonnet thanks to our local Pigeons....

I see a Pigeon Pie coming soon if they continue to dump on my pride & joys!!

High Quality Chrome & Black Enamel Golf GTI Keyring's.
For More Info Click To See;
My Thread On Here  Or My Ebay Store!

Gavv8

« Reply #5662 on: 21 May 2012, 18:16 »
Tried to get the hub off to remove the bolt that was stuck in it after the ball joint bolt snapped, couldn't get the hub nut to undo so took the driveshaft off the gearbox and took it to a garage who struggled to undo it, then they hammered the driveshaft out and f**ked the thread, so now I need to replace it.

Tried to get the front suspension off, but can't get the top nut to undo, just keeps turning the strut, even put mole grips on the strut and a hex bit in the top but just broke the hex bit and the mole grips can't grip it tight enough, they just slip.

Getting pissed off with this thing now, everything I try to do is 10x harder than any other car I have ever worked on, wish I had never bothered with it now!
This is a common problem, the recommended way to do it is with an impact gun, i also did it the hard way and will be buying an impact gun asap. :embarassed:

Offline bob23

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5663 on: 21 May 2012, 19:04 »

This is a common problem, the recommended way to do it is with an impact gun, i also did it the hard way and will be buying an impact gun asap. :embarassed:

I know, I used to have one till my old boss broke it, at the minute I can't afford to buy one so will have to persevere.

Current cars 1995 Golf gti colour concept 2.0 8v 156,000 miles. bmw 316 1.9 129,000. yeah, life's good! :rolleyes:

Offline Bandit127

• Here all the time
« Reply #5664 on: 21 May 2012, 19:41 »
Definitely on my shopping list. Especially now I have a Mk3 3 Golf...

Clarke CEW1000 Electric Impact Wrench 240v - £52.49 on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Clarke-CEW1000-Electric-Impact-Wrench/dp/B0039BQRUO

Offline bob23

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5665 on: 21 May 2012, 19:57 »

Never thought of looking for a plug in one, :rolleyes: just looked at air ones like the one I had.

Offline clareyfairy84

• Just got here
« Reply #5666 on: 21 May 2012, 20:03 »
I fixed the central locking.

Not bad for a girl (though it did only requite the electrics plugging back in  :grin:)
Its a '96 Polo and its a GTI in my dreams...
Waking up corrects me, however I love her just as she is

Offline monty9120

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5667 on: 21 May 2012, 21:21 »
fitted a sump to a mark 4 is a b!tch. why hide 2 bolts. luckilly i managed to get them out without rounding them off

Offline daz veedub

• Forum addict
  • Operation 1.8t bolf
« Reply #5668 on: 21 May 2012, 21:28 »
shes gone for paint  :cool:

Offline Dave_IOW

• Forum addict
« Reply #5669 on: 22 May 2012, 17:04 »

Never thought of looking for a plug in one, :rolleyes: just looked at air ones like the one I had.

Rubber strips between mole grips and strut  :wink:
Project: Mk2 20vT trackslag
Daily: Mk2 GTI typ19