Author Topic: Running costs  (Read 13421 times)

Offline Mutley75

• Here all the time
Re: Running costs
« Reply #50 on: 08 January 2019, 19:23 »
That’s a great deal you got there. I thought I’d done well to get £5.7k off. Think I’ll try harder for another £300.

Or get them to throw in the first two services for free.

And some gloss black mirror caps? I’m going to ask!  :grin:

You’ll get more joy with things like that than trying to change the price at this stage. Although once you’ve signed you’ll be hard pressed to get them to add much into the bargain. Do I need to tick DCC? Having second thoughts... got to live with it for four years! But... my poor bank balance! Already pushed the mrs to her tolerance threshold too. On dangerous ground now.

I’ve not signed anything yet!

I always live on dangerous ground as far as cars go. I like to slowly filter the news in.

Indeed. Break the news you’re thinking of changing it at least 6-12 months in advance. Give them time to mellow. Me and my mrs never row, fortunately. Squabble yes, but not full on rows. I usually just end up making her laugh by asking if she has IBS again. Irritable b!tch Syndrome. 😂
Golf GTi Performance Edition (2019), 5dr, DSG in Isaac Blue, Dynaudio & Brescia alloys.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #51 on: 09 January 2019, 09:02 »
Lots of Issac blues arriving/ordered. Sounds like you've got a great deal!

And you won't miss that boring A3 interior. GTI much nicer. The only A3 I'd consider is the RS3 and that's purely for the engine - best sounding car* I've driven! That would definitely be a genuine reason rather a badge!  :grin:

* Sub £50k
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Mutley75

• Here all the time
« Reply #52 on: 09 January 2019, 09:14 »
Procrastinating about not ticking DCC with the Brescias now. Contemplating changing the colour to solid white and using the paint money for DCC. Gah.
Golf GTi Performance Edition (2019), 5dr, DSG in Isaac Blue, Dynaudio & Brescia alloys.

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #53 on: 09 January 2019, 09:22 »
Procrastinating about not ticking DCC with the Brescias now.
The only way you will know for sure is to go and test drive one on 19's without DCC and see how it feels on the types of routes you'll be driving. It'll come down to personal preference, as demonstrated in this thread by me saying DCC is a must, and another person saying it's fine without for them.

Finding a GTI to test drive with DCC will be nigh on impossible though, so I test drove a GTI and an R both on 19's without DCC to see how it felt. The R felt marginally harder, but both left me in no doubt that I needed (and wanted) DCC for the type of driving scenarios I do. The DCC IMO turns the car into a real swiss army knife, comfortable and very soft when needed, but also sharp as a razor, all at the press of a button. It also gives the car a bit more desirability come resale as it's a very rare and sought after option, so you'll see some of the money back.
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline Mutley75

• Here all the time
« Reply #54 on: 09 January 2019, 09:27 »
The demo car at the dealer had Brescias and DCC. It felt fine in Sport as far as I’m concerned - is that a good indicator?

That said, for £800 (which I’d add to the deposit rather than the monthlies) I might just grit my teeth and go for it. Put it this way, other than the money (which will soon be forgotten) I bet no one regrets buying DCC, but I bet a fair few regret NOT buying it. And it can’t be retro-fitted either.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #55 on: 09 January 2019, 09:32 »
I bet no one regrets buying DCC, but I bet a fair few regret NOT buying it.

I had DCC on my Mk7 and ditched it on the Mk7.5. Then again, I was never a "always in comfort mode" person - except in bumpy car parks and speed bump infested areas.

Regretted it not once TBH yet I was an advocate for DCC (and similar technology from other marques I had years before).

The Mk7.x runs just fine without it, its not exactly a GoKart.

Spent my £800 on? Probably Costa!
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Mutley75

• Here all the time
« Reply #56 on: 09 January 2019, 09:33 »
I bet no one regrets buying DCC, but I bet a fair few regret NOT buying it.

I had DCC on my Mk7 and ditched it on the Mk7.5. Then again, I was never a "always in comfort mode" person - except in bumpy car parks and speed bump infested areas.

Regretted it not once TBH yet I was an advocate for DCC (and similar technology from other marques I had years before).

The Mk7.x runs just fine without it, its not exactly a GoKart.

Spent my £800 on? Probably Costa!

Yeah but are you on standard 18s or the 19s?

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #57 on: 09 January 2019, 09:35 »
18's mate. With the state of the roads these days I'd avoid 19's just because they will buckle - DCC or no DCC.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #58 on: 09 January 2019, 09:36 »
I should add that I test drove the Mk7 on 19's before I bought one and it had a very comfortable ride compared to my previous Insignia! (which I think had 20's on it!)

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #59 on: 09 January 2019, 09:38 »
The demo car at the dealer had Brescias and DCC. It felt fine in Sport as far as I’m concerned - is that a good indicator?

That said, for £800 (which I’d add to the deposit rather than the monthlies) I might just grit my teeth and go for it. Put it this way, other than the money (which will soon be forgotten) I bet no one regrets buying DCC, but I bet a fair few regret NOT buying it. And it can’t be retro-fitted either.
Sport mode on a non-DCC car doesn't impact the damper rate, just the throttle response and steering. The suspension is fixed at a single damping rate for all modes if DCC isn't fitted, so if it felt fine to you, then that's a good sign that you would be able to live without DCC.

Having said that, your second point is very valid. DCC allows the driver to adjust the damper flow valve which in turn changes the damping properties, so you get lots of suspension options to set the car up how you want depending on your driving conditions. If you do lots of miles and/or want/need comfort, the DCC really is a great option. The difference between Comfort and Sport modes on mine is remarkable, especially on the terrible London roads, so I can just sit back and relax without having to worry about being juddered around by lumps, bumps, potholes etc. :)
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.