Author Topic: Loose Radiator Issue - UK  (Read 3352 times)

Offline Tallpaul

• GTI forum regular
Loose Radiator Issue - UK
« on: 07 August 2022, 15:21 »
Has anyone in the UK had their GTI radiator unclip from its bracket at the top on the drivers side?

If it unclips then it is possible for the rad to also come out of the bottom mount, when this happens the lower coolant hose hits the alternator belt which punctures the hose and causes all the coolant to drain.

A US Facebook group and VW Vortex are showing quite a number of occurrences of either a total coolant loss or the owner noticing the rad has popped out of its clip.

VW are repairing damaged hoses under warranty but there is no upgraded part to prevent the initial failure. Some owners appear to have had it happen twice!

No idea if this affects all MK8 GTI’s or if a revised part is being worked on. As far as I’m aware there’s no current TPI. Several US owners have taken matters in to their own hands and added zip ties to secure the rad.

Anyone in the UK experienced this??
« Last Edit: 07 August 2022, 15:23 by Tallpaul »

Offline Carlosfandango

• GTI forum regular
Re: Loose Radiator Issue - UK
« Reply #1 on: 07 August 2022, 20:20 »
Has anyone in the UK had their GTI radiator unclip from its bracket at the top on the drivers side?

If it unclips then it is possible for the rad to also come out of the bottom mount, when this happens the lower coolant hose hits the alternator belt which punctures the hose and causes all the coolant to drain.

A US Facebook group and VW Vortex are showing quite a number of occurrences of either a total coolant loss or the owner noticing the rad has popped out of its clip.

VW are repairing damaged hoses under warranty but there is no upgraded part to prevent the initial failure. Some owners appear to have had it happen twice!

No idea if this affects all MK8 GTI’s or if a revised part is being worked on. As far as I’m aware there’s no current TPI. Several US owners have taken matters in to their own hands and added zip ties to secure the rad.

Anyone in the UK experienced this??

I heard about this online somewhere, humble mechanic YouTube channel I think!? So I checked mine (august 2021 built UK car) and sure enough the top of the rad had popped out, I simply pushed the clip back in, it’s been absolutely fine since, the bottom of the rad was still in place in my case, I had to push it pretty hard to get it to clip in, so don’t be shy with it if you also have to do it.
Current car -
Mk8 GTI DSG, Kings Red, Pan Roof, Extended Winter Pack, Rear Camera, DCC, Adelaide Reps (CMWheels), Eibach Pro-Kit Springs.

Gone -
2020 BMW M135i xDrive, Storm Bay Metallic, Pan roof, Tech pack, Pro pack, Comfort pack,
👇see it here👇
https://youtu.be/j-4x9ZxehWU

Offline BanksyGTI

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 09 August 2022, 13:07 »
I know of just one UK 245 GTI that this has happened to. Unfortunately this resulted in the outcome that you described at the start. Pot luck as to whether you catch it in time or not. It seems pretty rife in the US though so I can’t work out why it happens so much there but not here. The UK VW Tech who repaired the one I know of said that the radiator set up is very similar to mk7 - I’m not sure if they failed on these too or it is mk8 specific. I’d also be interested if any of the other evo4 EA888 applications have the same issue (S3, Octavia vRS, Cupra Leon)

Certainly something to keep an eye on and badger VW UK with if it becomes a thing. Such a simple plastic clip causing a catastrophic breakdown isn’t really acceptable

Offline Kaltyos

• Just got here
« Reply #3 on: 03 June 2023, 10:23 »
Sorry to resurrect such an old thread but I can confirm that this is an issue for us to.

Unfortunately I ended being a victim of this issue despite having previously checked the top radiator mount for play.

It's no fun and currently going back and forth with VW to have it sorted under warranty as my car has been tuned.

It's definitely worth checking if your drivers side radiator mount is FULLY seated; as if not you may well end up stranded on a bank holiday weekend like I was.  :whistle:

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 03 June 2023, 16:37 »
Anyone got any pics of the clips we should be looking for? I'll see what the S3 setup is, although a deer might've loosened mine!
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Carlosfandango

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 13 June 2023, 21:52 »
Anyone got any pics of the clips we should be looking for? I'll see what the S3 setup is, although a deer might've loosened mine!

I meant to post the link to this ShopDAP video a while ago, but forgot! 🙄
https://youtu.be/OWZuAx7tA8w
Current car -
Mk8 GTI DSG, Kings Red, Pan Roof, Extended Winter Pack, Rear Camera, DCC, Adelaide Reps (CMWheels), Eibach Pro-Kit Springs.

Gone -
2020 BMW M135i xDrive, Storm Bay Metallic, Pan roof, Tech pack, Pro pack, Comfort pack,
👇see it here👇
https://youtu.be/j-4x9ZxehWU

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 14 June 2023, 13:09 »

I meant to post the link to this ShopDAP video a while ago, but forgot! 🙄
https://youtu.be/OWZuAx7tA8w

Very handy, thanks. Hoping to get my S3 back in the condition it was in before Bambi ran into it at 70mph, next weekend. Its currently getting fixed.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 14 June 2023, 13:54 »
Hoping to get my S3 back in the condition it was in before Bambi ran into it at 70mph, next weekend. It’s currently getting fixed.

Have you got a loan car whilst they fix up the Audi’s nose?
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 14 June 2023, 15:45 »
Hoping to get my S3 back in the condition it was in before Bambi ran into it at 70mph, next weekend. It’s currently getting fixed.

Have you got a loan car whilst they fix up the Audi’s nose?

Yes, BMW dealership bodyshop (best reputation in the area and I've used them twice before),but their courtesy car is a Hyundai i20 1.0 3-cyl. It is by far the worst car I have driven in the last 20 years.

Unless they have parts sourcing issues,I'm expecting it back next Friday. 27 hours labour job and they do approx 3 hours work per day on each car.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 14 June 2023, 17:56 »
Oh dear.
Hopefully the S3 is back pretty sharpish.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner