Author Topic: Stupid service schedule  (Read 5519 times)

Offline Tallpaul

• GTI forum regular
Re: Stupid service schedule
« Reply #30 on: 09 August 2022, 17:43 »
I’ve just phoned two different parts depts at separate local VW dealers. Both said the correct oil for my MY21 is 0W-20 508/509. Tomorrow I’ll be speaking to the dealer who did my service and sold me the 0W-30 504/507 top up oil (I assume they also used it in the service!)

Offline Carlosfandango

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #31 on: 09 August 2022, 22:43 »
I’ve just phoned two different parts depts at separate local VW dealers. Both said the correct oil for my MY21 is 0W-20 508/509. Tomorrow I’ll be speaking to the dealer who did my service and sold me the 0W-30 504/507 top up oil (I assume they also used it in the service!)

Definitely worth raising this with them in case of later issues attributed to incorrect oil, my brother had a Merc ML63 AMG a few years back that imploded not long after it’s main dealer oil service, unbelievably they had used the wrong oil!!  the tolerances on those hand built engines are extremely tight by all accounts, their mistake lead to oil starvation in critical components, they had to foot the bill for a whole new engine, not a situation I wish to find myself in, even if the EA888 is a far cheaper engine than the Merc.
Current car -
Mk8 GTI DSG, Kings Red, Pan Roof, Extended Winter Pack, Rear Camera, DCC, Adelaide Reps (CMWheels), Eibach Pro-Kit Springs.

Gone -
2020 BMW M135i xDrive, Storm Bay Metallic, Pan roof, Tech pack, Pro pack, Comfort pack,
👇see it here👇
https://youtu.be/j-4x9ZxehWU

Offline Tallpaul

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #32 on: 13 August 2022, 13:02 »
All sorted.

Dealer checked the worksheet for the service and confirmed the correct 0W-20 508spec oil was used. It was a parts f up issuing the wrong top-up oil. Swapped for the correct Shell Helix Ultra 0W-20 508 and very apologetic.

Offline Carlosfandango

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #33 on: 14 August 2022, 00:06 »
All sorted.

Dealer checked the worksheet for the service and confirmed the correct 0W-20 508spec oil was used. It was a parts f up issuing the wrong top-up oil. Swapped for the correct Shell Helix Ultra 0W-20 508 and very apologetic.

Good to hear that they used the correct oil during service, not so great to hear that parts supplied the wrong oil though, glad it’s sorted. 👌
Current car -
Mk8 GTI DSG, Kings Red, Pan Roof, Extended Winter Pack, Rear Camera, DCC, Adelaide Reps (CMWheels), Eibach Pro-Kit Springs.

Gone -
2020 BMW M135i xDrive, Storm Bay Metallic, Pan roof, Tech pack, Pro pack, Comfort pack,
👇see it here👇
https://youtu.be/j-4x9ZxehWU

Offline BillSan

• Here all the time
« Reply #34 on: 03 November 2022, 14:53 »
So today my car decided to tell me it needed 1 litre of oil but its OK to keep driving.

The first oil change is in 1000 miles and the inspection service is 1500 after that.

I seem to remember this from my last golf... Put oil in only to have it chucked away, get the oil change and in a couple of weeks it wants the inspection service.

Both of my paid for services used in one go pretty much.

Is it just me or this is crazy?

I'm returning this post to the above/original query as I find myself in the same position as Fredgroves.  My Clubby has just covered 16,000 miles and I've had it for 17 months.

The service indicator is showing as due it's first oil service in 900 miles (or 160 days).  As I do 1k miles pm, that means in about a month.
It is also showing that it is due an 'Inspection' in 4,300 miles (or 238 days).  So for me this means in about 4 months time.

As I paid nearly £400 for a service pack which covers "your next 2 services" does that mean I'll have to use them both in the next 4 months?
Pure White Mk8 Clubsport
TD Motorsport Pro Y Spoke Wheels
1899 Software but new s/wheel & no bongs since 4/1/24

Gone: Mk7.5 GTE

Offline Dav3smith

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #35 on: 03 November 2022, 15:06 »
Hi Bill, I'm not sure what the "inspection" is and I'm also not sure what the two services include there seems to be some ambiguity over these things. I also thought the first oil change was after 12 months or 10K miles so I'm guessing you never had this done.
If I were you I'd try and find out what the inspection is from the dealership and if it includes an oil change; go for it sooner rather than later and just use one of your two services.
I myself purchased this from the dealer when I bought my car and I'll be having the first oil change at 12 months. I don't really know what the two services actually includes though, I just bought it because it seemed like good value.
GTI Clubsport ED45 DBP, DCC, HK, WP, Pano

Gone Golf R 7.5
Gone GTI 7

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #36 on: 03 November 2022, 15:33 »
@BillSan and @Dav3smith; When VW produced spec and price brochures for each car model, the section on service plans stated that the car should be on the fixed service schedule (i.e. time and distance servicing) - the screen shot below is from the May 2020 mk7.5 Golf brochure. Under time and distance servicing, the first service under the service plan (essentially a ‘minor’ oil and filter change service) would be due at the sooner of 12 months or 9,300 miles and the second service (oil and filter change, plus inspection) would be due at the sooner of 24 months or 19,600 miles.

I have no idea if the above still applies. I had a service plan for the first two services, but had the dealer set the service regime to time and distance as part of the PDI before I picked the car up, so my first service was at 12 months and the second at 24 months.

2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Dav3smith

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #37 on: 03 November 2022, 15:44 »
OK SRGTD that helps thankyou. As I said I'm going to get the oil changed at 1 year as I'll have done less than 10K miles and I'm happy to do it then.
In Bills case I think he should be going for the oil and filter change plus inspection and I'd personally be getting it done at the earliest opportunity if he hasn't had an oil change already. This would leave him with one of his two services and I'm sure they can advise him when he'll need to get it done.
I think Bill having covered 16000 miles without even an oil change would certainly benefit him to get it done sooner rather than later.
I'm sure these modern day oils are sufficient to last but if it were me I'd be getting it done, it certainly won't harm it.

Gone Golf R 7.5
Gone GTI 7

Offline BillSan

• Here all the time
« Reply #38 on: 03 November 2022, 15:57 »
As ever, thanks for the replies, it's always good to get forum advice.

My car must be set to flexible servicing rather than the fixed, hence the 16k without any work, but it was delivered that way and I'm happy with that.  From what you're saying it sounds like the 'inspection' should not be counted as a 'service' under the plan and I guess I'll pay for that separately, thus retaining the second of my paid for services for a while yet.

I'll book it in for the oil service ASAP and will report back when the service schedule is clarified.

Pure White Mk8 Clubsport
TD Motorsport Pro Y Spoke Wheels
1899 Software but new s/wheel & no bongs since 4/1/24

Gone: Mk7.5 GTE

Offline Dav3smith

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #39 on: 03 November 2022, 16:08 »
OK Bill let us know what the experts say. I'm still baffled to be honest how some cars service reminders are set to flexible rather than fixed surely the same vehicles should have the same set parameters for servicing. Anyway I'm probably thinking too much about it.
I've tried searching on VWs site for what my two services actually include and I'm none the wiser. Not to worry as I'll probably have shifted the car on by the time the second one is due anyway I don't even know why I bought the service plan, I must be stupid.

Gone Golf R 7.5
Gone GTI 7