Author Topic: Experience/Thoughts re Moonstone (and Mk 8 fuel consumption)  (Read 5283 times)

Offline Carlosfandango

• GTI forum regular
I don’t know if the suspension differs for original 18 and 19” specification. As far as I know the overall circumference of the wheel is very similar, the 19” wheels are fitted with a 35 ratio tyre and the 18s have 40 ratio tyres. The extra width of tyre wall is more pliable therefore the ride is potentially softer. I did find the 18s less harsh on the road.

My understanding is that mk8 GTI/R that are delivered from factory on 19” wheels have lowered suspension when compared to factory delivered 18” wheel cars, this was confirmed to me by Eibach when I was looking at fitting lowering springs to my GTI, as I had 18” wheels from factory and changed them to 19”, I needed pro-kit springs to bring it down to stock 19” levels, where as sport line springs would have made it lower still, only sport line springs will lower a 19” factory car.
Current car -
Mk8 GTI DSG, Kings Red, Pan Roof, Extended Winter Pack, Rear Camera, DCC, Adelaide Reps (CMWheels), Eibach Pro-Kit Springs.

Gone -
2020 BMW M135i xDrive, Storm Bay Metallic, Pan roof, Tech pack, Pro pack, Comfort pack,
👇see it here👇
https://youtu.be/j-4x9ZxehWU

Offline M6TT F

• GTI forum regular
19s without DCC. It’s certainly firmer than the stock 18s. My wheels are 8.5” wide, so the tyre walls have less give than the OEM 19” options. But no worse than my MK7

Offline carlt69

• Not said much yet
We’ll I just filled it up again and it’s still doing 33.7mpg  :cry: and that’s with normal driving

I got around 35-36 out of my manual mk7.5 GTi, maybe the dsg isn’t as good as my left hand and left foot  :grin:
MK8 GTi in Moonstone Grey

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Depends if you remember to come off the gas...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline carlt69

• Not said much yet
Depends if you remember to come off the gas...

:lol:

Worse thing is I’m actually trying to get some economy. Maybe a bit to hard perhaps!?
MK8 GTi in Moonstone Grey

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Let it coast... there is a symbol that appears on the dash when you are coasting... only does it in D not S...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Ceefeesh

• I live here
Has anyone ceramic coated their car?  If so, which ceramic coating, how long ago, result and durability? If you would care to share,  how much did it cost? Do you think it has made a difference? Was it a worthwhile investment?  Thanks.
« Last Edit: 22 June 2022, 19:54 by Ceefeesh »
Previous owner of many Golfs and GTIs. Now Audi S3.

Offline DB99

• Not said much yet
Has anyone ceramic coated their car?  If so, which ceramic coating, how long ago, result and durability? If you would care to share,  how much did it cost? Do you think it has made a difference? Was it a worthwhile investment?  Thanks.

This is a really subjective topic and you will get very varying views.

From experience, a huge amount will actually depend on the quality of the prep and polishing before hand by the detailer. You get what you pay for there. Personally, I wouldn’t strongly consider it unless you plan to keep the car for more than 3 years. Otherwise you are just paying for the expense for the next owner.

Coating quality also varies hugely, with most being poor quality with minimal longevity.

Of those I’ve either had applied or researched, and may be biased as a result, I believe Modesta is one of the best out there. It needs to be cured with infrared light for a number of days though so can take a bit longer in terms of overall process.

No ceramic coating will really protect against scratching (you’ll need PPF for that) but a good quality ceramic coating will definitely improve gloss appearance of the paint work, has very good hydrophobic quality and personally I did find made cleaning easier as dirt, tar etc washed off much easier.

Is it worth it? I’m not sure. Would I do it again? Possibly, with the right coating, at the right cost and with the right detailer. But don’t be sucked in by misleading claims that your paintwork becomes bullet proof to swirls or dirt.

Offline RoryB

• Not said much yet
I have a moonstone CS arriving next week and I'm thinking about all this too, possibly even going as far as to get the front end PPF'd, but I don't know if it will be worth it,
Gone: Mk 5 GT Sport 140
Sticking around: Mk 7 GTD
Current: Mk 8 GTI Clubsport

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
I have a moonstone CS arriving next week and I'm thinking about all this too, possibly even going as far as to get the front end PPF'd, but I don't know if it will be worth it,

If you’re driving a high mileage and regularly drive on cheaply surfaced roads (e.g. surface dressing / loose chippings) where the car’s frontal panels will be regularly subjected to potentially excessive stone chipping then it might be worth considering. Otherwise I personally wouldn’t bother, although those forum members who’ve invested in PPF will probably disagree. It’s also worth considering how long you’ll be keeping the car as PPF + ceramic coating is quite an investment if the next owner will be the person deriving most of the benefit from your financial outlay.

I’ve owned five VW’s and I’ve have never had an issue with stone chip damage on any of them - just the occasional one or two which I attend to and touch in after the next time I wash the car (checking for stone chips is part of my car washing regime :grin:). One of the first things I always buy for my car is touch up paint so I’m prepared :smiley:.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl