Author Topic: 2021 Golf GTI - Atlantic Blue  (Read 6269 times)

Offline Tallpaul

• GTI forum regular
2021 Golf GTI - Atlantic Blue
« on: 26 February 2022, 11:35 »
I’m 3 weeks in to ownership of a June 2021 GTI in Atlantic Blue.

I had a mk7.5 PP in the same colour which I (perhaps foolishly) sold last year:

I spent the intervening year in an M3. An epic car in every way and something I’m glad to have owned:

So here is the mk8. The options fitted are the 19” alloys and a reversing camera. The only thing missing which I would have specced from new is the winter pack as I do miss heated seats. I had set out to buy a Dolphin Grey car but my local VW dealership messed me about, essentially refusing to honour a deal we’d agreed in principle so I travelled a little further to view this one. It was mint inside and out with only 4,500 miles. I do like blue so a deal was done:

I ensured the software was updated to 1890 prior to collection. Touch-wood I’ve had no issues with assist systems thus far, although the heated steering wheel has a mind of its own!

I’ve fitted a full set of OEM mud-flaps and will be getting it ceramic coated. Compared to my mk7.5 I don’t really feel much difference on the road. I don’t mind the touchscreen climate etc. it’s all very simple to use. The only thing I would swap is the steering wheel, I find the haptic controls require a tad more concentration to use than physical buttons and I keep accidentally changing radio station with my right hand! Definite improvements are the seats, wireless phone charging/CarPlay, blind spot detection and the configurability of the dials. The costs saving elements of the trim, front brake callipers etc are a shame but I don’t feel like it’s less of a quality product. All in all, still the best do-it-all daily for sensible money.

Offline Kenis

• GTI forum regular
Re: 2021 Golf GTI - Atlantic Blue
« Reply #1 on: 27 February 2022, 17:47 »
Looks good, will be interesting to hear your view on dirt etc before and after mudflaps are fitted

I have gone for dolphin, but my order was placed last April, so who knows when I’ll see it!
Ordered Apr-21 Arrived Mar-23: MK8 GTI Clubsport, Dolphin, Estorils plus other options

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #2 on: 27 February 2022, 18:00 »
Does look good in blue in your photo.  :cool:
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline Kgti8

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 27 February 2022, 19:00 »
I had an Atlantic blue MK7.5 and it was a lovely colour. Enjoy.
2021 MK8 Manual | Oryx White, Estorils, DCC, Winter Pack, HK, Pan Roof, Rear Camera, Vienna Leather

Offline Tallpaul

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 03 March 2022, 10:26 »
Looks good, will be interesting to hear your view on dirt etc before and after mudflaps are fitted

I don't think they really do much to keep the car clean as spray from other cars etc still get it filthy if driving in the wet.

The main reason I fitted them was to reduce the chances of stone chips from gravel flicking up off the tyres.

Offline Tallpaul

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 03 March 2022, 11:53 »
I do like the front end of these cars, but the open hexagonal grill lets all sorts of detritus build up around the intercooler. The flipside of that is that it also allows relatively easy access to clean!

I bought a narrow, flexible hoover attachment from eBay and set to it:

Here's some of the larger items removed, the smaller bits all being sucked up by the hose. Quite a satisfying 10 minutes work but something I guess will need repeating fairly regularly!

Offline Tallpaul

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 25 March 2022, 21:18 »
5 hours of graft on the paintwork today. Washed, decontaminated, single-stage machine polish and a decent layer of Soft99 Fusso Coat Dark. I’ll get round to treating the interior at some point; GTechniq Smart Fabric for the seats.

Offline Foxy367

• Here all the time
  • Here All Week
« Reply #7 on: 07 April 2022, 12:55 »
Looks great the best colour in my humble (atlantic blue owner) opinion!

Not sure how the GTI compares with the Clubsport but the back end of mine really does get filthy (much more so than the Mk7) I wonder if its on account of the diffuser/ wing?
Current - Awaiting a milkfloat
Previously
2021 Mk8 GTI Clubsport - Atlantic Blue
2017 MK7.5 GTI Performance - Tornado Red
First steps into Golf ownership -
2003 Mk4 GtTdi PD150 Oceanic Green
2002 Mk4 GtTdi PD150 Reflex silver

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 07 April 2022, 13:33 »

Not sure how the GTI compares with the Clubsport but the back end of mine really does get filthy (much more so than the Mk7) I wonder if its on account of the diffuser/ wing?

From your signature details, your previous car was Tornado Red. I think it’s more a case of Atlantic Blue being a dark colour - which probably shows the dirt more than Tornado Red does - rather than the effect of the diffuser / wing. 
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Foxy367

• Here all the time
  • Here All Week
« Reply #9 on: 07 April 2022, 15:27 »

From your signature details, your previous car was Tornado Red. I think it’s more a case of Atlantic Blue being a dark colour - which probably shows the dirt more than Tornado Red does - rather than the effect of the diffuser / wing.

Could be it defintely shows more but does seem to collect more, noticeably more spray on the motorway though I'm a civil engineer so could be imagining it!!!  :grin:
Current - Awaiting a milkfloat
Previously
2021 Mk8 GTI Clubsport - Atlantic Blue
2017 MK7.5 GTI Performance - Tornado Red
First steps into Golf ownership -
2003 Mk4 GtTdi PD150 Oceanic Green
2002 Mk4 GtTdi PD150 Reflex silver